Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2022, 01:02 AM   #1351
bunglegrind
bunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One
try with a different software? koreader etc.

I haven't updated my KA1 since...when I bought it.
bunglegrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:02 AM   #1352
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
I still use mine daily. I'm running the latest software and to me it seems like my KA1 is good as new with no deterioration in contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
is anyone still using their KA1?

Did anyone also encounter the issue where the contrast reduced considerably after a firmware update?
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #1353
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
KA1 working fine with updates.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #1354
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I stumbled onto a good deal on a Sage, otherwise I'd planned to keep using my KA1 indefinitely.

Keep an eye on your local ereader market for used Aura Ones. I'm convinced they're the best value in used ereaders.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #1355
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
My Kobo Aura One is a great, clunky old ereader. I use it when I just want to read on something with that form factor.

I recently bought an AC Dream case for it, which is its third case. I purposely bought an old fashioned sort of Dream case, so both thumbs could rest on the edges of the case without bothering the screen.

I would love to see a new one with this form factor, but with the incredible newer screen that's on the Kobo Libra 2.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #1356
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My Kobo Aura One is a great, clunky old ereader. I use it when I just want to read on something with that form factor.

I recently bought an AC Dream case for it, which is its third case. I purposely bought an old fashioned sort of Dream case, so both thumbs could rest on the edges of the case without bothering the screen.

I would love to see a new one with this form factor, but with the incredible newer screen that's on the Kobo Libra 2.
They're definitely old now, which is why you can sometimes find deals on them used because people will price them based on the age of the device instead of it's functional value in this weird frozen-in-place e-reader market.

Inversely, there are a lot of overpriced Aura Ones because enthusiasts often DO know that it's still competitive and will try to get used Forma prices knowing some people prefer the form factor.

But I disagree about the "clunky" characterization. I couldn't help but feel the opposite when I picked the KA1 back up after using the Sage. I can only imagine how the long-term Forma owners who switched over felt.

Last edited by mezzanine; 09-05-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #1357
mezzanine
Groupie

Something that made me laugh is that I was surprised to find I appreciate the extra 0.2 inches of screen on the Sage vs the KA1. It's hilarious how OCD I am about these screens. By hilarious, I mean deeply concerning.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #1358
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I would jump at a re-sale offer of a KA1 EXCEPT I have no way of knowing how worn down the battery probably is.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #1359
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I would jump at a re-sale offer of a KA1 EXCEPT I have no way of knowing how worn down the battery probably is.
I think worries about used batteries in ereaders are overblown simply because the devices were intended to last weeks between charges.

Even an ereader with a battery in poor condition, and I have had two bought used, doesn't really detract from it's convenience in a meaningful way since I still get a week out of it between charges. It's also why people are willing to put up with the crappy Sage battery.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #1360
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Is it a major issue to change the old battery out for a newer battery?
Old 09-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #1361
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is it a major issue to change the old battery out for a newer battery?
I believe the KA1 was when Kobo started using a spray to make the device water resistant, so replacing the battery would at minimum make that protection a lot more dubious.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #1362
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I believe the KA1 was when Kobo started using a spray to make the device water resistant, so replacing the battery would at minimum make that protection a lot more dubious.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:16 AM   #1363
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
For what it's worth, I migrated from my Aura One (bought in 2017) to a Sage this year and the battery on the Aura One was still fine the last time I used it.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:52 AM   #1364
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
For what it's worth, I migrated from my Aura One (bought in 2017) to a Sage this year and the battery on the Aura One was still fine the last time I used it.
I currently have an Aura One that I have been using for quite a few years, but I am starting to look for a replacement if it ever dies on me.

How are you liking the Sage compared to the Aura One?

Hopefully my Aura will carry on for many more years as I am perfectly happy with it as an ereader.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #1365
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
I was perfectly happy with the Aura One which is why I ignored various other potential replacements for years. The 32 GB on the Sage appealed, and so did it supporting 5 GHz wifi. I was never that bothered by the slightly uneven lighting on my Aura One, but that on the Sage is much much more even. I had read several posts here about uneven lighting on the Sage so may have been a bit lucky. It's a minor thing but it's nice to have. I'm sure the Aura One would have been fine for years to come.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote