Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #121
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by digid View Post
I would be interested in how the display looks out in the daylight. I am really wanting an iPad as I have lots of PDF's and such, but would like something that is also cheap to take to the beach, camping, and not have to worry about as much for my epub reading. I seem to be stuck in this wait and see mode on the ebook readers. Waiting on the iPad PDF rendering, and waiting for a $100.00 epub reader that I can read in bed when the lights are out, and sitting outside in the sun. I hate the slowness of the eink displays, as well as the flash, and had great hopes for this 5 inch reader.

Dale
Another possibility for your needs might be the Aluratek Libre. It has a 4-greyscale, non-backlit LCD display. The LCD has a mirror like coating that allows it to reflect light really well, so it performs great in direct sunlight and takes a lot less artificial light to be readable than the e-Ink screens. The LCD is fast on page turns. It sounds a lot like the OpenBook but without backlighting or color. See the images below. I bought my Libre a few days ago at Frys for $139. It sounds like it has a bit more functionality than the OpenBook as it can jump to specific page numbers, can view ADE DRM ePubs and PDFs. It also has a TOC function for ADE PDFs only, but not the other formats. It also has a search function for some of the formats and it does display linked images.

The first two images show the text blurry due to using a flatbed scanner rather than a digital camera. The other three images were taken with a camera. The first four images show an ePub book that I bought from the sony Store, deDRMed, and modified in Calibre to make the margins look better. The last photo shows a Mobi book.

It is very similar to the Jetbook Lite (JBL), so check out that forum for more details.

My OpenBook should arrive tomorrow so I will do a comparison of the two.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-portrait-small.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	48137   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-landscape-small.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	48138   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-01.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	48139   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-epub.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	48140   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-mobi.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	48141  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-16-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #122
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
This thread has been like reading an adventure story!

I'm wondering how crisp the fonts are, and how sharp & color accurate the images are.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #123
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Well the Aluratek Libre might be an option. I just had my Jetbook Lite lockup on me exactly the same way it did before when I had to send it back for replacement. Considering I have only had the replacement MAYBE a month, I am not at ALL happy with the Jetbook Lite at this time. I hope to God the Delstar will be viable and that I can get a refund on the jbl. Once might be unfortunate. 2 times in 3 months is a a very bad trend.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #124
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Katelyn, what is the weight?

And how is the color display?
It weighs 6.7 oz. I was surprised the color is as good as it is.

Photo taken with an IPhone so the quality is not great.

Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #125
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
Congratulations, Katelyn!

Now you get to be bombarded by questions

When you turn it on, does it turn on instantly, ready to read (like a dedicated ereading device), or is there a "boot up" time (like a Windows/Linux device)?

Thanks!
You have to hold down the power button for about 5 seconds before it starts up but it opens immediately to the menu - no boot time.
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #126
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
It weighs 6.7 oz. I was surprised the color is as good as it is.

Photo taken with an IPhone so the quality is not great.

Hey! That's looks real nice.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #127
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by causticmuse View Post
First off, THANK YOU for posting something so quickly! I think everyone in this forum appreciates your effort.

Are you sure there are no bookmarking and page jump functions? According to the PDF manual, those functions as well as the auto page turn should be accessible through the M button. The manual says that you can get to a menu with all of those functions as well as font color if you press the M button while on a reader page.

Also, is there any chance that you can test out a PDF (maybe even the device's manual, LOL) for us?
I did read the manual this morning and found out how to rotate etc. There is, in fact a way to jump to a specific page but the bookmarking feature is absent. Also missing that is mentioned in the manual is the set font size menu, and set font color menu. You can adjust the font size using the zoom button but the only real size that is worth using is the middle size. Small is teeny and large is well, really large.

I did discover that when a book is rotated, the margins adjust to fill out the screen. It's a much better reading view this way.

So far bad news about PDFs. I've tried several and none open - including the device's own manual downloaded from the Delstar Website.

One last - and big problem. Lockups. So far, I've found 3 of my books that lock up the device when I try to open them. All 3 are epubs that were purchased titles. I've had to use the pin hole on the back to do a hard reset.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #128
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
If you turn it off and back on does it maintain its position in the book? Do you know if it times out and turns itself off if you lay it down? Have you had success in rotating from port. to landscape? If its not bringing up covers it sounds like it may not do linked graphics at all. Which pretty much defeats a lot of the purpose of it being color at least for e-book purposes... Does the text look clear and crisp? Does it display italics in html files?
1) Yes, a book will open up to where you left off.

2) You can select the delay time when it turn itself off.

3) Rotating to landscape mode fixes the poor margins that you have in portrait mode.

4) Despite the no frills font type, the text is clear. I think it is clearer than on the JE100 but I haven't had that much time to read on it.

A caveat - the actual font can be pretty funky depending on the book. I have one book that displays odd characters throughout the story and others where the quote marks are not next to a character but a space away " The... instead of "The.

Last edited by Katelyn; 03-16-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #129
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Thanks Katelyn. The color looks nice!

Hmm. I'm wondering about this as a replacement for my Eb1150. I like it a lot because of the backlight, but my introduction to readers was the REB 1200, and I do miss the color.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #130
digid
digid began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Another possibility for your needs might be the Aluratek Libre. It has a 4-greyscale, non-backlit LCD display. The LCD has a mirror like coating that allows it to reflect light really well, so it performs great in direct sunlight and takes a lot less artificial light to be readable than the e-Ink screens. The LCD is fast on page turns. It sounds a lot like the OpenBook but without backlighting or color. See the images below. I bought my Libre a few days ago at Frys for $139. It sounds like it has a bit more functionality than the OpenBook as it can jump to specific page numbers, can view ADE DRM ePubs and PDFs. It also has a TOC function for ADE PDFs only, but not the other formats. It also has a search function for some of the formats and it does display linked images.

The first two images show the text blurry due to using a flatbed scanner rather than a digital camera. The other three images were taken with a camera. The first four images show an ePub book that I bought from the sony Store, deDRMed, and modified in Calibre to make the margins look better. The last photo shows a Mobi book.

It is very similar to the Jetbook Lite (JBL), so check out that forum for more details.

My OpenBook should arrive tomorrow so I will do a comparison of the two.

Jack,
Thanks I have not looked at that one. I do read a lot in a dim room. So no backlight would not work. I am currently using my iphone for epubs and except for the small screen I like it. I use Stanza and set the font rather large so have to do lots of page turns. Laptop for PDF's. I guess I need to get my head around how many devices that I need, and compromise some.

73 de KB9JJA/Dale
digid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #131
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Katelyn,

Were the epub books that didn't work DRM ebooks? If they are, maybe that is the problem. Seems like we will probably have to tweak books to correct the right margin as well as the odd characters and spacing. I remember on another forum (MP4 Nation) that there is a program that can reformat text files to fit a certain margin. I tried the trial version, but it costs too much to buy. I am thinking that maybe Calibre or Book Designer may help. I have never gotten that deep into the programs to know for sure. Another possibility are the programs over at ProcessText. I am still looking forward to getting mine. The only thing that is bothering me is that the manual states things that are not present in the reader.

Ellen

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #132
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Katelyn,

Were the epub books that didn't work DRM ebooks? If they are, maybe that is the problem. Seems like we will probably have to tweak books to correct the right margin as well as the odd characters and spacing. I remember on another forum (MP4 Nation) that there is a program that can reformat text files to fit a certain margin. I tried the trial version, but it costs too much to buy. I am thinking that maybe Calibre or Book Designer may help. I have never gotten that deep into the programs to know for sure. Another possibility are the programs over at ProcessText. I am still looking forward to getting mine. The only thing that is bothering me is that the manual states things that are not present in the reader.

Ellen

Ellen
I suppose the books that wouldn't open and locked up the device could be DRM books. I'll have to try them on a different device to check it.

The margin issue is weird. When you use the smallest size font, the margin is huge - more like an image than text. However, when rotated, the font displays across the screen.

pendragginp, as for replacing an 1150 or 1200, it may not be bad for you just to get away from the old .imp format. I still won't vouch for the stability of this thing but so far, if you have 100 bucks to throw at it, it MAY not be too bad for a cheapo budget device.

I sure can't wait until others get theirs since I'm not great at reviewing or objectivity and I haven't had time to put it through it's paces yet either.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #133
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
I know I'm just dreaming here but... since this has no drm wouldn't it be great if they open sourced the firmware so we could fix all the damn bugs? :P
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #134
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
I know I'm just dreaming here but... since this has no drm wouldn't it be great if they open sourced the firmware so we could fix all the damn bugs? :P
Yer Dreamin' man.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #135
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Katelyn,

Ellen

Ellen
When converting via Calibre, the Page Setup screen allows you to set the margins. You have to experiment as every reader displays margins in their own unique way. You can also choose the input format and the output format to best match your device--once again this will require experimentation with a new device like the OpenBook.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-page-setup.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	48174