Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #121
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
$499: 16GB, WiFi only (no 3G)
$829: 64GB, 3G + WiFi (don't forget to add in another $14.99 or $29.99 for the data plan)
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #122
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
though the keyboard dock sure does look fancy... maybe it will work on the iphone and ipod touch
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #123
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am willing to bet not... then there would not be a reason to but the ones with larger memory
Was hoping for USB I guess for convenience as much as expandability.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #124
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
In this configuration and with the $499 price it gets upgraded from 'meh' to 'mmm'

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #125
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Definitely makes the iPod Touch seem totally out of sync price wise.
You're right.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #126
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does is have a way to expand memory? Card slot, USB port???
USB for file transfer but It is a 32 pin thing on the ipad
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #127
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
In this configuration and with the $499 price it gets upgraded from 'meh' to 'mmm'

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #128
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Just buy it
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #129
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough

It looks pretty slim.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #130
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, well:
It's better than I thought it would be, and not as good as I had hoped. No Flash support, when half the web uses Flash? I've never used an iPhone, so I have no idea what capability their browser has. I love the looks (sorry, MoeJoe, I'm female). I like the accelerometer - this is the first tablet demo I've seen where they actually made use of portrait mode. I like the looks of the iBooks app/store. Prices, not so much, and I want to know how easy it is to import books that you already have. I'm also anxious to see what sort of DRM is going to be on those ePub files. The battery life sounds pretty good to me, too.

EDIT: Never mind, I evidently didn't wait long enough. Where are y'all getting the prices?

Last edited by phenomshel; 01-27-2010 at 02:30 PM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #131
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Just buy it
Yes master Thing is, once you add the 'living in the UK tax' it'll cost about $800, damn UK!!!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #132
SCION
Séduisant

So where does this leave the QUE reader? Anyone have one on pre-order?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #133
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
It's an oversized iPod touch. I thought it might make me rethink getting a dedicated 9" reader. I have three syllables: DO NOT WANT!!!

I'm waiting for the Asus 9".
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #134
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Ok, well:
It's better than I thought it would be, and not as good as I had hoped. No Flash support, when half the web uses Flash? I've never used an iPhone, so I have no idea what capability their browser has. I love the looks (sorry, MoeJoe, I'm female). I like the accelerometer - this is the first tablet demo I've seen where they actually made use of portrait mode. I like the looks of the iBooks app/store. Prices, not so much, and I want to know how easy it is to import books that you already have. I'm also anxious to see what sort of DRM is going to be on those ePub files. The battery life sounds pretty good to me, too.

I'm disappointed that no price or availability date seems to have been announced (unless I missed that somewhere?).

In short: It's a cool device. But I don't think it's for me.
No Flash support isn't confirmed. One website required a plug-in but NatGeo had something that could possibly have been Flash.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #135
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Did they say anything about international availability?

I'll have to see it first, but I am interested---not to replace my Kindle (I need the dictionary and text to speech features) but as a netbook replacement.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote