Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2022, 07:31 PM   #121
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
When reading the page forward and backward buttons stop working, they’ll resume if you tap the screen.

I’ve now had some resistance to paging forward but I’ve still not had to tap the screen a second press of the button gets it going. I’m not entirely sure if it’s a software or hardware issue vs me not pressing optimally. I’ve been switching between the Sage and Libra 2 which don’t share the same sweet spots. I’ve also got a case on the Sage because I wanted to do a good comparison between the two. My worry is that the magnets in the case might be causing some wonky behavior. The case is the official one and the magnets are fairly strong.
It's not the case, because my Sage has no case and the buttons are still buggy. I've not encountered this issue on my Libra 2 (which has no case either).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #122
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Occasionally the buttons stop responding. Touching the screen makes them respond again, so it's not anything major, but still annoying.

The Libra 2 has no such bug.
Ah, thanks. I HAVE experienced this in 4.32 then. I didn't know touching the screen fixed it, I was closing my case to put the device to sleep then re-opening. I have been reading primarily in the stock Kobo reader since 4.32 and patches, so it's reassuring to know it's a firmware bug and explains why I didn't see it in KOReader
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #123
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Ah, thanks. I HAVE experienced this in 4.32 then. I didn't know touching the screen fixed it, I was closing my case to put the device to sleep then re-opening. I have been reading primarily in the stock Kobo reader since 4.32 and patches, so it's reassuring to know it's a firmware bug and explains why I didn't see it in KOReader
It has existed since I got the Sage, so it's not specifically a 4.32 bug.

Edit: interesting that the bug disappears in KOReader. Still, as I prefer to read kepubs on my Sage, there's no point to install KOReader there.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-16-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #124
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
It has existed since I got the Sage, so it's not specifically a 4.32 bug.
I'm just pleased to know it's not a mechanical issue with the physical buttons
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #125
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Occasionally the buttons stop responding. Touching the screen makes them respond again, so it's not anything major, but still annoying.

The Libra 2 has no such bug.
Actually I've experienced a similar issue on every device I've owned. Currently using a Libra H2O and while it doesn't happen often, it still does. Normally for me the only recourse is a power off / power on cycle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 08:44 PM   #126
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I've experienced a similar issue on every device I've owned. Currently using a Libra H2O and while it doesn't happen often, it still does. Normally for me the only recourse is a power off / power on cycle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I didn't experience it on my Libra H2O, or my Libra 2. Or on any Kindle I've had, or on a Nook. Only the Sage.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-16-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:59 PM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I seem to remember reading either in the official release notes or @davidfor's recap that that this worked best (as in, that's what it was designed for) for actual mixed language content, *not* a single stray codepoint in a sea of otherwise covered codepoints .

So, my TL;DR: would be, yeah, I suppose it's the expected behavior.

EDIT: That was indeed spelled out in @davdfor's recap .
Yes, that is correct. When I saw that individual characters were not being fixed, I asked and was given an explanation by one of the Kobo developers about what is happening. It is related to how Webkit, Qt and several other things do it, whether the fonts actually having the glyphs they claim to have, and, of course, some optimisation for speed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #128
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Hello. I install it in Kobo sage and all is perfect.
One of the improvement is this:
Book details:

* Page, word count, reading time in minutes as range.

But I don't know where to find this values...

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:39 AM   #129
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdothum View Post
This is what occurred for my Libra 2: Manually installing 4.32 when i checked the firmware version from the "device information" page did not appear to update the version number (whether from 4.30 or 4.31).

What i had to do in my case was manually (re-)install 4.31 THEN do a "sync" software update to get to 4.32 before being able to apply the 4.32 patches. Manually installing 4.32 is an incomplete(?) install that disables USB port connections (at least, on my Libra 2).

Have no idea what actually gets updated with the 4.32 kobo-update files but it fails to change the version number of the firmware at the time of the manual install when attempting to upgrade from an earlier release.

Interestingly, though, the 4.32 kobo-update zip appears to be usable for kobopatch.

Having jumped through these hoops.. not sure these past two releases really buy me anything -- and there appear to be more leftover artifacts (back arrow in particular) left on the text page. i am inclined to go back to 4.30
This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to install 4.32 manually (I was starting from 4.30). It also wasn't connecting to my PC via USB and rebooted every time I disconnected the cable. Ended up having to reset the device, updated via wifi to 4.31 and only then I was able to update to 4.32 (the manual install worked this time though).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:06 AM   #130
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by albare View Post
Hello. I install it in Kobo sage and all is perfect.
One of the improvement is this:
Book details:

* Page, word count, reading time in minutes as range.

But I don't know where to find this values...
They are on the book details page in the "Details" tab. To get to the book details page, long press on the book in a list or the home screen and select View Details". And these values will be shown on the "Details" tab at the bottom for purchased books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:21 AM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
They are on the book details page in the "Details" tab. To get to the book details page, long press on the book in a list or the home screen and select View Details". And these values will be shown on the "Details" tab at the bottom for purchased books.
Will Kobo Utilities be updated to send page and word counts as part of the metadata?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #132
Reader1099
Reader1099 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Update Issue:

MacOS 12.3
Libra H2O version 4.31

1. Copy .zip file to .kobo folder on device
2. Unpack 4.32.19501.zip file and delete .zip file
3. Delete .zip file from device
4. Unmount device

Nothing happens. No indication of the update being applied

I powered off device and powered on and nothing changes.

What have I done wrong?
Reader1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:34 AM   #133
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
FWIW when I manually updated, it looked like the update took place, but when I checked the installed version it was still the old one. I repeated the process and now it was updated.

I can't recall this ever happened before (during the almost 10 years I have had Kobos), but it may have.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:44 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1099 View Post
Update Issue:

MacOS 12.3
Libra H2O version 4.31

1. Copy .zip file to .kobo folder on device
2. Unpack 4.32.19501.zip file and delete .zip file
3. Delete .zip file from device
4. Unmount device

Nothing happens. No indication of the update being applied

I powered off device and powered on and nothing changes.

What have I done wrong?
1. Download the firmware ZIP file to the computer.
2. UNZIP the contents to the .kobo directory on your Kobo.
3. Eject the Kobo from the computer
4. Disconnect the USB cable and wait for it to install the firmware and reboot.
5. DONE!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #135
jsessions
Enthusiast
jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo & Clara HD
Did they change the default font/font size with this update?... Text on the home page & on some games (solitaire) look bigger to me on a Clara HD post update.
jsessions is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release