Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #121
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Using the SD card for data: I downloaded the Audible app from the Play Store, then told it to move itself to the SD card. I've not downloaded any books yet, but the app happily moved itself. (It said.)

I downloaded the Kindle app, but it refused to move to the SD card. I opened it, registered, and downloaded the book I'm currently reading. Tried again to moved the app to the SD card, but it again failed. Actually, it said it was doing it, but both times it just sorta stopped and said that it couldn't.

Any ideas on how SD card usage is managed? What apps, what types of data, can or cannot use it?
Just an FYI concerning moving apps to the mSD card. First off, not all apps will transfer and secondly, those that do transfer will need that mSD card in the phone in order to function. Let's say you have several cards (one for music, one for audiobooks, and one for videos) and you start swapping. Any apps stored on those cards will lose functionality once that card is removed and you'll have to reload the app.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #122
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ok. Very good point. How do I move only the data?? Like, my Audible books but not the Audible app?

Or, the Kindle books, since the app itself wouldn't move anyway?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #123
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
After I upgraded (a misnomer!) my 1st gen Moto E from KitKat to Lollipop, I noticed that apps that had been happily residing on my SD card moved to internal memory whenever they updated. I have to move them back to the card every time. I don't know it that's something that may occur with the 2nd gen also.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #124
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
PS (Im re-reading the whole thread to make sure I've done everything) There is a notch in one of the lower corners of the black band. Start there, for removing it. It makes it easier. Though I do have good nails, so perhaps that helped me.
I actually had to find a YouTube video to figure it out!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #125
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I actually had to find a YouTube video to figure it out!
Me too! I watched a video before even attempting. I've never been able to get my PW case off so I was expecting it to be as hard but it's easy to get the band off.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-04-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #126
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok. Very good point. How do I move only the data?? Like, my Audible books but not the Audible app?

Or, the Kindle books, since the app itself wouldn't move anyway?
You can't you have to move the app. I never liked that about Android but it is what it is.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #127
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
SilverRaven asked a bit ago whether "Smart Audiobook" was the best app for audiobooks. Any opinions? I do enjoy Aubible's own app, but I mean for other files, like Libribox or other things I've bought.

I'm also setting up my second phone for an 8 year old niece. So I need to make that one work at an 8 year old level too. [Dunno if *that* 8 year old is more or less electronic savvy! I think she's mostly IOS experienced, as I am.]
It's what I use. I haven't found a better one. Don't worry about your my 5 year old nephew has his own phone and has no problems. Kids these days are super smart.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #128
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's what I use. I haven't found a better one. Don't worry about your my 5 year old nephew has his own phone and has no problems. Kids these days are super smart.
Yeah, wish I had known that. All my kids are in their 20s so I'm pretty clueless about little kids. But a friend of mine wanted a suggestion for her granddaughter for audio books. Mainly from the library, but she has bought many CDs over the years (our library sells old ones cheap) that she wanted to have put on a device. Since I didn't know any better I suggested the Kindle Fire over the Moto E thinking it would also work for ebooks. After playing with both I think that was a mistake. I think the Moto E is much easier to navigate for side loaded audio books than the Kindle Fire for a little kid, unless I'm missing something obvious. I feel bad now.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

ES File Explorer works on both devices. The LAN feature is the best way to load files or get a NAS drive. Cables are so bothersome

You might want to tell her about Overdrive for audio books which can be directly downloaded to the Overdrive app and it also works on both devices.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-04-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #130
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How long does ES File Explorer take to download? I waited over 30 minutes and it seemed to be still downloading. Meanwhile, I looked online to get some idea.

Instead, I ran into comments that said ES File Explorer had become bloated and that some people liked Solid Explorer File Manager better. So, when the PlayStore crashed out again, I restarted a download of Solid File Manager instead. And left it downloading overnight. So it's nearing 20 hours.... Is this normal???

I think it isn't downloading.

AH-HAH. I power cycled the phone, tried again, and it only took 5 seconds. So I guess it wasn't! I went with "Solid" and will let you know if I like it. Edit: it's not free, so I don't like it. Only a 14 day trial. It's gone.

Edit: somewhere along the line, I think it also updated my PlayStore, so I don't need the .apk that I downloaded either. Guess I'll use my new Solid File Explorer to learn how to delete it. I can push it down again (from my mac) if I really did need it.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 12-04-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #131
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I have no clue with that app. I'll stick with ES File Explorer. It's awesome and does so much more than anything I've tried I've been using it since Froyo.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #132
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I installed the ASUS File Manager--I never used one before but figured I needed something on this Moto E to organize music. Any opinions on it as opposed to any others?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #133
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I deleted "Solid File Manager" after it mentioned a 14 day trial period, and went back and installed "ES File Manager" since I had read about it in numerous places.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #134
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Books that I sideload: any preferred reader app?

If I put epub files (not mobi files) in a folder, and then find them with ES File Manager, they open in PlayBooks. However, they seem to upload themselves somewhere before they run (I'm not sure about that). AND the folder where I put them all is not directly accessed by PlayBooks, so I can't find the rest of the books, except by going back to ES File Manager. That's rather awkward. Is there a better way to do this?

I don't care what format they need to be in. I've got the Kindle app on there too, but I didn't see a place I was sure was safe to drop books into (without messing up the works). I can drop the books into a Kindle folder, if that's a preferred way of reading sideloaded books? If an Android expert can say where they ought to go.

edit: I mean, there IS a Kindle folder, but it doesn't even contain the book I am currently reading and downloaded. So is that where I would drop mobi files? The mobi file I left in a random directory wasn't identified as a book; only the epub was.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 12-04-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #135
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Books that I sideload: any preferred reader app?
I use Mantano Reader with Calibre Companion. I have the paid version (called Premium). My books are all in ePub though. Not sure if it works with Mobi.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote