Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #121
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Shuffle 4g + Linux

Santa brought me an iPod Shuffle 4g, it took a while to figure out how to use it from Linux (found the solution at https://github.com/nims11/IPod-Shuffle-4g), but now it seems to work well with mp3 audiobooks from my local library. I only expect to listen to audiobooks when there is no possible way to read an ebook (when cycling mainly), so being able to navigate by voice menu is a useful feature.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Santa brought me an iPod Shuffle 4g, it took a while to figure out how to use it from Linux (found the solution at https://github.com/nims11/IPod-Shuffle-4g), but now it seems to work well with mp3 audiobooks from my local library. I only expect to listen to audiobooks when there is no possible way to read an ebook (when cycling mainly), so being able to navigate by voice menu is a useful feature.
I'd be afraid to use mine when cycling, I think. I walk with it all the time, but I'm very careful when crossing the streets. Ear buds don't completely muffle the sounds of traffic, but they can certainly reduce your ability to hear some external sounds.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #123
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd be afraid to use mine when cycling, I think. I walk with it all the time, but I'm very careful when crossing the streets. Ear buds don't completely muffle the sounds of traffic, but they can certainly reduce your ability to hear some external sounds.
And an eBook can really command your attention at times taking it away from safety. But it is not as bad as texting will listening since that involves more sensors and more brain.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #124
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Just having delved recently into the world of audiobooks, I'm using what I had: a Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus 4 phone, both Android. I've joined and installed Audible, but also have some free unencrypted MP3 books. After trying a few different audiobook apps for those, I settled on 'Smart Audiobook Player' as the best for my needs. I've ordered Bluetooth earbuds to use with those devices.

On my Windows 8.1 laptop, the best player I've found is AngelVox, which is still within its trial period, but which I'll probably buy.
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #125
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I need new ear buds and am looking for recommendations. I have two requirements--I want the on-ear type, not the in-ear ones; and I want a right-angle plug.

I've tried in-ear, and no matter what tip I try, they don't seem to fit right. I had been using Skullcandy S3FXFM033 ear buds, which I loved, but, as always happens, the wires have come loose from the straight-in jack.

It's easy enough to see from the pictures at Amazon which are the in-ear and which are the on-ear type, but they don't always show or mention the plug, so the pickings seem kind of slim. I'm looking at Sennheiser MX365 and Philips SHE2100. Has anyone tried either of these, or have other recommendations that would fit my criteria?

I don't know that I'd want to spend more than $15. Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #126
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I like these. Not only do the stay in my ears, but they sound great and the wood design makes them the most attractive ear buds I've ever owned. They're $25 at Amazon, and they are the in-ear rather than the on-ear type, but I think they're worth it. It's a shame there's no way to try before you buy. They fit my ears, but they may not fit yours. I'm on record as saying that the Apple ear buds weren't made for human ears, as the only way they'll stay in mine is with duct tape, but I've since heard other people who say they have no problem keeping them in their ears.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #127
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I use these JVC buds most of the time.

I initially bought them for around $7 in a local store, to use at the gym and other places I didn't want to take my very expensive Sony ear buds due to too much risk of damage. I find the JVCs very comfortable and they sound great for the price tag. The noise cancel feature could be better, it's sufficient for music, but not always enough for audio books.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #128
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but no in-ear types--I've tried ones with different size tips, and none of them feel like they fit. I have no idea if they're too big or too small. They're just WRONG!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #129
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I need new ear buds and am looking for recommendations. I have two requirements--I want the on-ear type, not the in-ear ones; and I want a right-angle plug.

I've tried in-ear, and no matter what tip I try, they don't seem to fit right. I had been using Skullcandy S3FXFM033 ear buds, which I loved, but, as always happens, the wires have come loose from the straight-in jack.

It's easy enough to see from the pictures at Amazon which are the in-ear and which are the on-ear type, but they don't always show or mention the plug, so the pickings seem kind of slim. I'm looking at Sennheiser MX365 and Philips SHE2100. Has anyone tried either of these, or have other recommendations that would fit my criteria?

I don't know that I'd want to spend more than $15. Thanks.
I absolutely totally understand the in-ear bud issue. My ears canals are soooo tiny I have a very very limited list of ear buds I can use.
I looked at the ones you have linked to above. Honestly, I cannot wear that kind at all. After about 15 minutes they give me a horrible headache and make my ears ache. But again, my ears are very small. If I don't use one of the couple brands that fit in my ear I have to go to over the ear headphones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H...ear+headphones or the kind with the headband over the top http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110-...ear+headphones or back of the head http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-G45LP...ear+headphones. I have a couple pairs of the over the ear ones I lined to, they are comfortable and sound pretty good. Let's face it, they are not $200 earphones, but they work for audio books!
If you have a Big Lots around you they have cheap headphones of different styles. For around $5 you could try a couple different styles, see which you like best before investing much $ into them.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #130
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
JVC marshmallows are in ear but come with two sizes foams. They are made like foam ear plugs and expand after you insert them. You roll them between you fingers before inserting. They are the most comfortable ear buds you will ever own and cheap. Perfect for audio books. You can wear them for hours. They are straight plug though but for $11 if you need to find ones that do fit your ears these will.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVH265G/

Last edited by Blossom; 04-26-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #131
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I absolutely totally understand the in-ear bud issue. My ears canals are soooo tiny I have a very very limited list of ear buds I can use.
I looked at the ones you have linked to above. Honestly, I cannot wear that kind at all. After about 15 minutes they give me a horrible headache and make my ears ache. But again, my ears are very small. If I don't use one of the couple brands that fit in my ear I have to go to over the ear headphones like this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H...ear+headphones or the kind with the headband over the top http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110-...ear+headphones or back of the head http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-G45LP...ear+headphones. I have a couple pairs of the over the ear ones I lined to, they are comfortable and sound pretty good. Let's face it, they are not $200 earphones, but they work for audio books!
Thanks, but I wear glasses and these types would be pressing the earpieces against my head. I just want the traditional little ones that aren't in the ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
JVC marshmallows are in ear but come with two sizes foams. They are made like foam ear plugs and expand after you insert them. You roll them between you fingers before inserting. They are the most comfortable ear buds you will ever own and cheap. Perfect for audio books. You can wear them for hours. They are straight plug though but for $11 if you need to find ones that do fit your ears these will.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVH265G/
Thanks, but the right-angle plug is a must. Mine keep fraying and breaking at the straight-in plug. If I had to get another set with a straight-in plug, I'd get the same Skullcandy ones that just broke, since I was very pleased with them.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #132
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, but I wear glasses and these types would be pressing the earpieces against my head. I just want the traditional little ones that aren't in the ear.

Thanks, but the right-angle plug is a must. Mine keep fraying and breaking at the straight-in plug. If I had to get another set with a straight-in plug, I'd get the same Skullcandy ones that just broke, since I was very pleased with them.
If the plugs should prove to be perfect except for the right angle, get something like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Reinfor...dp/B00C4FU52C/
Corrects the angle issue and provides additional strain relief, since the adapter will likely disconnect before too much damage can be done.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #133
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If the plugs should prove to be perfect except for the right angle, get something like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Reinfor...dp/B00C4FU52C/
Corrects the angle issue and provides additional strain relief, since the adapter will likely disconnect before too much damage can be done.
Oh, thanks, I never thought of some sort of adapter. This would open up a lot more possibilities.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #134
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2

http://amzn.com/B005FVNGRI

I LOVE IT!
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #135
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I ended up getting Sennheiser MX365 earbuds. So far, so good.

One thing I really like is that the wire is soft and flexible--after my Skullcandy earbuds broke, I was using a set that came with the Clip Zip, and the stiffer wires on those were annoying me (they tended to hold the curl from being rolled up when not in use). Sound quality on the Sennheiser earbuds seems fine, they're comfortable, and the left and right are clearly marked so I don't need to squint!