Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #121
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is in fact what must of us do...
Which, I should note, doesn't work worth two poofs in K7. I mean, it works, kinda...but not well, given that K has about 5 "real" sizes. The size jump is fairly massive.

From Psymon:
Quote:
I would, if only to say "thank you" to those here who have been of so much help to me, but if I did that then wouldn't it be rather pointless to try to sell it (if anyone can get it for free here)?
True. Well, if you put it up somewhere and run a free-day promotion, you should let the MR'ers know, so that they can obtain a copy, or PM some of the people here who helped you immeasurably, on this and other threads, and give them one in a format that they can use. That isn't me trying to mooch one, to be clear; I wasn't helpful. However, there are a few people here who were. Just a thought.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #122
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Which, I should note, doesn't work worth two poofs in K7. I mean, it works, kinda...but not well, given that K has about 5 "real" sizes. The size jump is fairly massive.
Why am I not surprised? Never got into Kindle and mobi, so I would not know. No doubt you are correct though. Does K7 support real small-caps?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #123
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Why am I not surprised? Never got into Kindle and mobi, so I would not know. No doubt you are correct though. Does K7 support real small-caps?
Howdy:

Oh, hell no, man. K8 purportedly supports font-variant:smallcaps, but of course, as we discussed previously in this thread, the font has to have the smallcap variant for it to work. (Again, purportedly).

We, too, use the all-uppercase and font size kludge. But for K7, it's kinda fugly, and it works best/better if you use a fallback media-query that sets it to small/medium/large etc.

Hitch
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #124
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Of course KF8 and Apple iBooks both claim to be ePub 3 variants in the first place so this is why they have have some features not in the ePub 2 spec. Neither of them fully supports ePub 3 either, Apple gets is support from it HTML5 effort.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #125
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
So I expect some people may still buy the book, even if it might be available from free somewhere else.
Well at the company I work for, we give all of the books away for free on the site as PDF/EPUB. We also sell Kindle versions on Amazon, plus ebook versions in the store.

We mostly deal with Public Domain books, but we also try to release our new titles as close to the Public Domain as possible (Creative Commons 3.0).

Selling a non-scarce good (such as an idea/book) is not just selling the text itself... it is selling a bundle of goods:
  • People will pay for convenience
    • Think method of delivery, Amazon makes it easy as pie to purchase a book
  • Quality
    • I believe the public domain works that I convert are higher quality than the equivalent anywhere else.
    • You can be sure you won't get a virus from Amazon... unlike a potentially shady pirate site
  • You are used to a certain ecosystem
    • For example, syncing your books between Amazon devices/readers.
  • Perhaps the digital book can be tied as an extremely cheap addon to a physical version of the book
    • Think the new Kindle Matchbook program
  • A digital book cannot be signed by an author.
  • Yes, many people do not even "know better"
    • Knowing that there is high quality versions of the books on MobileRead)... and will pay for things they can otherwise get for free.
  • Perhaps the way the public domain works are packaged is unique
    • For example, at work we focus on economics books... we can look through a lot of the public domain works and package ones are relevant to the interests of our users. They might pay for the "curating" service.

So the book/ideas themselves are free, but people are willing to pay for some of the above (of course there is a much larger list of ways to bundle non-scarce goods, I just listed a few).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Well, so much for my "brilliant idea" -- one of these days I'll come up with something new that never occurred to anyone else here.

I hope.
LOL... this is pretty much impossible. All ideas are built upon previous ideas... and you think you have come up with something unique, and you do a Google search on it, and you see tens/hundreds/thousands of others have already been using it for years. :P

Quote:
Oh, hell no, man. K8 purportedly supports font-variant:smallcaps, but of course, as we discussed previously in this thread, the font has to have the smallcap variant for it to work. (Again, purportedly).
I just happened to settle on this clean CSS:

Code:
.smallcaps {
	font-weight: bold;
	font-variant: small-caps;
}
Sample code:

Code:
 <p class="noindent"><span class="smallcaps">International problems</span>, economic as well as political, arise out of the peculiar structure of our planet which, physically a single and indivisible unit, is divided politically into a number of separate states. Politically each of these states seeks independence and is jealous of its “sovereignty”; but owing to the uneven distribution of resources on the earth’s surface—and underneath it—the various states are united by links of economic interdependence. The quest for better living conditions has driven men, since time immemorial, to travel, exploration, migration, and trade. In addition, man, like the elephant’s child from Kipling’s tale, is “full of ’satiable curiosity.” To satisfy his insatiable curiosity he has set out upon a career of travel, visiting hitherto unknown regions and meeting new and strange people. Hunger and curiosity are the two powerful driving forces which made man, early in history, surrender the cosiness of his immediate surroundings for the sake of exploring the wide spaces of the world in which he might find adventure, wealth, and knowledge. Opportunities for intercourse between men belonging to different groups, tribes, city-states, and states grew steadily. Trade and war were the outcome of these inter-group and inter-state relations. And whereas we are more than ever anxious to eradicate from the surface of the world the scourge of war, we are very eager to develop and promote the peaceful relations between the peoples of the world. Among these none is more frequent and more important than trade.</p>
If the device supports font-variant: smallcaps, fantastic! (This would be on PC, Mantano (last I checked))... if not, it will just be bold text. Here it is in the PDF/Sigil/my Nook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmallcapsPDF.png
Views:	339
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	114889Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilSmallcaps.png
Views:	359
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	114888Click image for larger version

Name:	NookSmallcaps.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	114890

I think that simple code is much more maintainable in the long-run, than a tangle of hideous spans. Future formats/devices/reading programs will be able to handle font-variant, and I think the bold+smallcaps code degrades gracefully.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-09-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #126
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Future formats/devices/reading programs will be able to handle font-variant, and I think the bold+smallcaps code degrades gracefully.
The only problem is that you have bold *and* smallcaps, where you want only smallcaps.

I use this method to have ADE show bold, and all other readers show smallcaps if supported.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #127
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks Jelby for the sample file. I can use it as a base file whenever I want to do this.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #128
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
The only problem is that you have bold *and* smallcaps, where you want only smallcaps.
So is this because there is no such thing as a font with "smallcaps + bold" (just like there are fonts for "bold", "italics", "bold/italics", "smallcaps")?

What/how is Sigil (or a browser) displaying such a thing?

Font information is definitely an area where I am lacking.

Quote:
I use this method to have ADE show bold, and all other readers show smallcaps if supported.
I will take a closer look and do some testing later today. So what you are saying is implementing your .xpgt and doing something like:

Code:
<p class="noindent"><spanclass="ade">I<span class="simsmallcaps">NTERNATIONAL PROBLEMS</span></span><span class="noade smallcaps">International problems</span>, economic as well as political, [...]
Seems like it might get hairy real quickly (even moreso than just leaving the simulated smallcaps in there by themselves).

Part of a thing I have to keep in mind at work too is that many times the HTML of chapters are taken and posted as articles.... having duplicate code like that might cause an issue when copying/pasting.

Anyone here use Marvin? Or any other of the Android ereaders? Do those respect "font-variant: smallcaps"?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #129
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
So is this because there is no such thing as a font with "smallcaps + bold" (just like there are fonts for "bold", "italics", "bold/italics", "smallcaps")?
Depends on the font, but there certainly exist bold smallcaps fonts (and italic smallcaps, although that's something LaTeX does not like)

Quote:
What/how is Sigil (or a browser) displaying such a thing?
I guess they mostly fake the smallcaps with the bold font. You can try it here.

Maybe you haven't noticed it, because faked smallcaps look thinner than they should, which is somehow countered with a bold font... but with the uppercase letters or with real smallcaps it is quite noticeable.

Quote:
I will take a closer look and do some testing later today. So what you are saying is implementing your .xpgt and doing something like:

Code:
<p class="noindent"><spanclass="ade">I<span class="simsmallcaps">NTERNATIONAL PROBLEMS</span></span><span class="noade smallcaps">International problems</span>, economic as well as political, [...]
Seems like it might get hairy real quickly (even moreso than just leaving the simulated smallcaps in there by themselves).
Indeed, that would be quite a nuisance... No, what I suggest is

Code:
<p class="noindent"><span class="smallcaps">International problems</span>, economic as well as political, [...]

span.smallcaps {
font-variant: small-caps;
}
and then in the .xpgt, which is only visible to ADE, add:

Code:
<ade:template xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ade="http://ns.adobe.com/2006/ade" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
  <ade:style>
    <ade:styling-rule selector="span.caps" font-weight="bold"/>
  </ade:style>
</ade:template>
which is the equivalent of:

Code:
span.smallcaps {
font-weight: bold;
}
(or underlined, or grey background, or whatever style we want to replace the smallcaps with in ADE).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Charis SIL has smallcaps built in, but with ADE, you cannot access them. On the SIL website someplace is where you can make a specific smallcaps font out of the regular font. What I do is use the smallcaps font when I want true smallcaps. Granted, I do have to change the uppercase to lowercase. But it looks good that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #131
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Type tuner is located at:

http://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #132
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On the SIL website someplace is where you can make a specific smallcaps font out of the regular font
http://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #133
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Charis SIL has smallcaps built in, but with ADE, you cannot access them. On the SIL website someplace is where you can make a specific smallcaps font out of the regular font. What I do is use the smallcaps font when I want true smallcaps. Granted, I do have to change the uppercase to lowercase. But it looks good that way.
EXCEPT, of course, you can't use Charis on Amazon, if the ePUB is destined to go there. Just noting, FWIW.

Hitch
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #134
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
EXCEPT, of course, you can't use Charis on Amazon, if the ePUB is destined to go there.
For Kindles you wouldn't need to embed a font, because its system fonts natively support small caps (in KF8 files).

As for Charis SIL, IIRC, Amazon advised against font embedding in general and embedding Charis SIL in particular, but didn't explicitly prohibit it.

Has Amazon rejected one of your clients' books because Charis SIL was embedded?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #135
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
For Kindles you wouldn't need to embed a font, because its system fonts natively support small caps (in KF8 files).

As for Charis SIL, IIRC, Amazon advised against font embedding in general and embedding Charis SIL in particular, but didn't explicitly prohibit it.

Has Amazon rejected one of your clients' books because Charis SIL was embedded?
Doits:

No, it simply replaces it. Altogether. No point in using it.

Hitch