Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #121
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I started a bulk purchase for the device... However, the small storage, the fact that Spain has been left out from the device's launch, and the focus on Google Play content (which is tremendously scarce and overpriced here) have made me pass, or at least wait to consider other options.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #122
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Why do tech writers have to be so dense? Can someone show me in the laws of whatever where it says that an accessory to a device can't be bigger than it is? Why can't you make a 93% keyboard, add in speakers to the empty bezel space, and just be happy? This would make a fantastic netbook replacement in a world where people weren't so limited in their imagination and so eager to make excuses for each other's limited imaginations. We could fire every tech writer out there, even the good ones, replace them with average kindergartners, and still have a net improvement in tech writing.
Asus knows that idea. The first mass market netbooks, the 701G, were exactly how you were describing... And the computer is hard to use because the keys are so terribly cramped.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #123
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwerker View Post
Streaming on a train is just not doable in the main. I just dont get streaming unless you are at home. Even then, some streaming has its moments, as when you are watching a spinning circle in the middle of a tv programme at the good bit
Dropbox is not streaming and works very well on trains (at least in Sweden). Actually streaming of podcasts also works on train.

Remember that some countries have much better mobile net infrastructure than other countries.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Remember that some countries have much better mobile net infrastructure than other countries.
On Friday last week I was sitting outside with my laptop, sharing my desktop with someone who was on a train in Australia. It all worked beautifully, rather to my surprise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #125
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Dropbox is not streaming and works very well on trains (at least in Sweden). Actually streaming of podcasts also works on train.

Not all trains offer WiFi service in the US; just select ones.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #126
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwerker View Post
Dropbox is great for documents and a few books but no pro/enthusiastic amateur photographer or video editor is going to be using it for storage.
Not if they're smart, anyways, as the MegaUpload situation shows...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #127
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not all trains offer WiFi service in the US; just select ones.
WiFi if you buy it always works all the time. I was referring to using your phones 3G on trains. That works most of the time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #128
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
No, it is just fine. Paying royalties for any file system is an abomination in this day and age. There are free alternatives, and Google most certainly knows about them.

It's a monopoly of sorts. I really don't think companies should be allowed to own the methods of building something (license for FAT) AND products like Tablets that use those methods. It's sort of like the railroad companies also owning fuel and steel plants back in the 19th Century. Unfair advantage.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #129
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
2) You don't need an SD card to root an Android device, you just need to unlock the bootloader -- which has already been done in the case of the Nexus 7. Either way, given that the N7 is an open system (unlike the Nook and Fire) and already has the latest and greatest version of Android available, then nobody but the most fanatical hackers are going to want to root this device. What's the audience for a Nexus 7 running Ubuntu?
It isn't necessary, but it does make the procedure less worrisome for the uninitiated.

Quote:
3) I agree that Google/Asus will profit from those who decide to go with the more expensive 16GB model. But given that they are selling what is the essentially a state-of-the-art 7-inch tablet at half-the-price last year's state of the art tablets were selling at, I'm willing to cut them a little slack here. As Apple has already shown with the iPhone and iPad, if the people like the device enough, they are willing to fork out a lot of money for a little extra memory. Yeah, it sucks, but Google is hardly the worst offender here.
Google is not the worst offender. But no offender gets my money. I don't use streaming and the prospect of constantly shuffling stuff between my PC and a tablet is insufferable when popping in a tiny card is so much simpler.

Quote:
I think Google has a lot of tablet manufacturers and retailers scratching their heads at the moment. I was looking at buying a cheap refurbished Acer A100 7-incher recently, but even the cheapest price I found of $169 seems extremely steep in the wake of the Nexus 7 announcement.

I'll probably wait until the end of August to see what the other tablet makers decide to do -- Acer, Asus, and Amazon -- but I will be very surprised if there's anything as good as the N7 for $200 that also comes with an SD-card slot and HDMI.
I don't care about the HDMI. The only reason my ancient and doddering Dell Axim PDA is still of any use is because it has an SD slot.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #130
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Why do tech writers have to be so dense? Can someone show me in the laws of whatever where it says that an accessory to a device can't be bigger than it is? Why can't you make a 93% keyboard, add in speakers to the empty bezel space, and just be happy? This would make a fantastic netbook replacement in a world where people weren't so limited in their imagination and so eager to make excuses for each other's limited imaginations. We could fire every tech writer out there, even the good ones, replace them with average kindergartners, and still have a net improvement in tech writing.
The keyboard for my own old Palm Pilot was HUGE compared to the device, but still a great idea. And it folded down pretty compactly. So I agree with the concept here.

Of course, the build/quality of the folding keyboard was sh!t (broke after a few weeks due to not closing it in the "proper," easily confused sequence), but that's another kettle...
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #131
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WiFi if you buy it always works all the time. I was referring to using your phones 3G on trains. That works most of the time.
That would work if you had a smartphone; but many people (including me), don't have one. Also, the US is vast in size and, depending on your carrier, there are areas without cell coverage.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #132
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I agree with you, David. There is a growing trend to force people into using the cloud for just about everything. Expensive new devices are being built without ports, drives, and connections we are used to, thus narrowing our choices as they attempt (and succeed) in getting us locked into one ecosystem or another.
I used the "cloud" decades before it became the "new thing" with iCloud, dropbox, etc. It was called "mainframe computing" and the only access to the data was via "dumb terminals".

I remember those days clearly (as a software developer) and I remember the restrictions and controls that went along.

The advent of personal computers brought total freedom to individuals and with it, tremendous breakthroughs in how computers were used.

But here we are, a generation or two removed, the "digital natives" of this current generation who never knew a time when personal computers didn't exist, are willing (and sometimes, eager) to forego that digital freedom.

Ok, enough reminiscing.... now get off my lawn!
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #133
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That would work if you had a smartphone; but many people (including me), don't have one. Also, the US is vast in size and, depending on your carrier, there are areas without cell coverage.
I don't have a smartphone either. So, if there's no access to wi-fi (in my car, for instance), I can't access anything in the cloud. That's why an SD card is so handy for me. I can take lots of music or whatever. I really don't need it at home since I usually stream music using the TuneIn Radio app or play it from the computer, but it's nice to have the additional flexibility when in areas without wi-fi.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #134
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I don't have a smartphone either. So, if there's no access to wi-fi (in my car, for instance), I can't access anything in the cloud. That's why an SD card is so handy for me. I can take lots of music or whatever. I really don't need it at home since I usually stream music using the TuneIn Radio app or play it from the computer, but it's nice to have the additional flexibility when in areas without wi-fi.
For sure
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #135
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I used the "cloud" decades before it became the "new thing" with iCloud, dropbox, etc.
The cloud has been with me for decades here in Seattle. Constant rain has ruined many a picnic.

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet