Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #121
aage
aage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WiFi
As a Canadian, I think that this is fabulous news. The library system where I live (Ottawa, ON) is about as Kindle unfriendly as you could get. They only have Adobe epub and Adobe pdf formats for books, and neither of those work on Kindle.

However, I contacted the Free Library of Philadephia, and they will allow me a library card for $35 a year. If their selection of Kindle books is good, this is a great deal for me. It looks as though I can't look over their database without getting a card, so I have no idea so far what their selection is like.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Or do you have another library to recommend?

Thanks,
Aage

Last edited by aage; 10-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.
aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #122
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by aage View Post
It looks as though I can't look over their database without getting a card, so I have no idea so far what their selection is like.
Try this link.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #123
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks! They have 32 copies of The Help Unfortunately, 309 other people are waiting for it.

I'll still probably sign up for a card, anyway.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #124
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thanks! They have 32 copies of The Help Unfortunately, 309 other people are waiting for it.

Do you live in Florida? Most counties there have excellent inventory. Have you checked around? Some have reciprocal arrangements with area residents.

Another possibility is Fairfax County Va. They charge $27 for non-residents. No visit was necessary but confirm that is still the case, if you're interested. They have almost 5000 Kindle ebooks.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #125
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nevermind
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #126
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do you live in Florida? Most counties there have excellent inventory. Have you checked around? Some have reciprocal arrangements with area residents.

Another possibility is Fairfax County Va. They charge $27 for non-residents. No visit was necessary but confirm that is still the case, if you're interested. They have almost 5000 Kindle ebooks.
I do. I have.

Our county's deal was canceled with the next county over due to budget constraints and they are $10 more than Philly.

Nothing less expensive than Philly, so far, except one (Alachua County) which has very few titles and most of which are already public domain anyway.

I have been keeping an eye on the Florida thread started by Japes.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-06-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed bad link
Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #127
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I have been keeping an eye on the Florida thread started by Japes.
You have a bad link: hthttp://
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #128
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You have a bad link: hthttp://
Oops! Thanks Tubemonkey!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #129
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Oops! Thanks Tubemonkey!
YW
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #130
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I borrowed a Kindle book from the New York Public Library. The end date on the borrowing time was several weeks ago but in that time I have not connected my device to 3G (I have the DX US). As far as I can tell, I can still read the book like normal.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #131
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I borrowed a Kindle book from the New York Public Library. The end date on the borrowing time was several weeks ago but in that time I have not connected my device to 3G (I have the DX US). As far as I can tell, I can still read the book like normal.
Shouldn't be able to, unless you stripped drm.

Did you have the book "open" that whole time. If so what happens if you close it and try to reopen?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #132
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Ouch. I checked my libary. Not that I could get the e-book with a Kindle in Canada yet, but 84 people waiting are waiting for 0 copies the libary has available in ePub format. So that's what hell is like for a reader of e-books.

I checked the paper copies. It's at 681 holds on 135 copies. I'm so glad I mainly read things no one cares about.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #133
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm so glad I mainly read things no one cares about.
Same here
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #134
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Shouldn't be able to, unless you stripped drm.

Did you have the book "open" that whole time. If so what happens if you close it and try to reopen?
Well, I get out of the book and into the main screen, go back to the book, go through the pages, etc. Everything is normal.

I didn't strip its DRM. Although, I did jailbreak my Kindle so that I could change the screensavers.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #135
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting. I thought I'd done exactly that when the library lending went live and it didn't work. I've got one checked our right now that expires in a few days, I'll check it after that.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote