Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #121
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If it's plain text and the source is readily available, it's quite easy for a person to make a .pdf which will display quite nicely on a reader (or some other sort of ebook format) --- the problem only arises when someone for some reason has taken text, flowed it into a .pdf and failed to size / format it for the current, small-size, e-ink screens.
That's essentially it.

What many people could use, IMHO, is an app that would essentially take a file (say, an RTF or HTML file, something fairly universal) and do the "hard work" of converting it to a PDF optimized for your particular device and screen size (really, just automating the process for the user). In fact, it's been my opinion that every maker of a reader, HW or SW, should include such an app to convert other file formats to their own wherever possible (in other words, DRM-permitting).

How easy all our lives would be!

Oh, look! Is that a pig flying overhead?...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #122
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
PDFs are great if you want to print something. If you want to read it on a screen not so much. Even if the PDF is reflowable, the reader does not have control over the fonts, so if you want it on a portable device it needs to be formatted for both the screen size and the eyes of the person reading it. Different people need different size and style fonts-- this is particularly true as they age.

Some people swear by Arial, I prefer to swear at it.

The biggest advantage of reading something in a digital form is that it makes it easier to meet the needs of each individual reader rather than the "one-size-fits-all" model of paper. PDF is an expression of that model in digital format.

Yes it can be used as a digital reading format, but unless one has very specific formatting needs it's never a good choice unless it's specifically formatted for the device and the person reading it. At that point the question becomes why should I do something manually that the software does for all the other formats?f

You may be perfectly happy with a PDF that's been specifically optimized for your eyes and your screen, but what about me? What about people who may read on more than one device?

I just finished reading a science fiction magazine on my Palm TX. But I read part of it on my Nokia 6126. I need different font and page sizes for a 2.2" screen at 320x240 than for a 3.8" screen at 480x320. PDF makes adjusting that more difficult than it needs to be.

It meets certain needs, but as a general eBook format it causes more problems than it solves.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #123
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Even if the PDF is reflowable, the reader does not have control over the fonts, so if you want it on a portable device it needs to be formatted for both the screen size and the eyes of the person reading it...

You may be perfectly happy with a PDF that's been specifically optimized for your eyes and your screen, but what about me? What about people who may read on more than one device?
That's why I suggested an app that would take a file in another format and optimize it for you and your e-book reading app, whether it be Mobi, eReader, or Acrobat on your laptop.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #124
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
PDFs are great if you want to print something. If you want to read it on a screen not so much. Even if the PDF is reflowable, the reader does not have control over the fonts, so if you want it on a portable device it needs to be formatted for both the screen size and the eyes of the person reading it. Different people need different size and style fonts-- this is particularly true as they age.

Some people swear by Arial, I prefer to swear at it.

The biggest advantage of reading something in a digital form is that it makes it easier to meet the needs of each individual reader rather than the "one-size-fits-all" model of paper. PDF is an expression of that model in digital format.

Yes it can be used as a digital reading format, but unless one has very specific formatting needs it's never a good choice unless it's specifically formatted for the device and the person reading it. At that point the question becomes why should I do something manually that the software does for all the other formats?f

I just finished reading a science fiction magazine on my Palm TX. But I read part of it on my Nokia 6126. I need different font and page sizes for a 2.2" screen at 320x240 than for a 3.8" screen at 480x320. PDF makes adjusting that more difficult than it needs to be.

It meets certain needs, but as a general eBook format it causes more problems than it solves.
Zoom is for that very problem. A combination of zooming and reflow can provide you with the size text you want a still flow the document. As to the font type, most eBook Readers don't give you much control over that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #125
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
I will agree, PDF qualifies as a layout language (based on PostScript which was a page description language) and not as a markup language. But with all of the document markup languages available, it seems kind of silly to keep trying to invent new ones. Especially since there are several on the list that already have free, high-quality, open-source tools available to convert their markup into a variety of output formats.

[My vote would've been for one of the TeX based derivatives since Knuth took into consideration hyphenation, justification, proper typography, math equations, as well as a host of other issues when originally designing TeX. But everyone is on the XML buzzword wagon nowadays ... ]

[edit] ... and I'll agree with Lemurion, from a design standpoint, people who still use Arial or Times (with the selection of free OpenType Unicode-compliant fonts available) definitely need to be sworn at

Last edited by cerement; 04-28-2008 at 04:16 AM.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #126
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
ePub hopefully will be the Standard for publishing Ebooks in the futures. Since it's basically XML, it will be very easy to make converters for the different Ebook-Formats you possibly need.
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #127
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
it's sadly too wide spread and restricting.I don't supose anyone knows a way to "turn of" the security setings?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #128
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just don't turn them on when you're making a file.

If you're asking how to "turn them off" in someone else's file, then answering the question would be against forum policy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #129
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

1-sending a private email on the matter wouldn't be?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #130
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Soliciting such a thing here would be.

Unless you're joking. You really should try out the emoticons, they make it much clearer when you're joking.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #131
Lobolover
Gorosei

im realy not joking,and I can't use emoticons.I need to PRINT them.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #132
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm not sure I follow: how do you mean you have to print them?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #133
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I'm not crazy about PDF... but I will use it when it's the only thing available (specifically for non-DRM titles). BooksOnBoard has a bunch of non-DRM eBooks (and yes, to answer the subject of this forum, I do think they're eBooks) that I've downloaded, and the reading experience is decent. I know there's a way to convert non-DRM pdf files to Mobi, but I haven't researched how to do it yet...
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #134
NatCh
Gizmologist

MobiCreator will do that, I believe.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #135
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Thanks! I'll get it.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote