Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #121
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
From the couple of times I've been in the store, I thought the sensitivity was a bit off too.
I noticed this too, but thought maybe the device was just a bit slow to respond when moving through menus. It was fine when turning the pages of a book. Probably something they could iron out through software updates.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #122
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I'll try that too. My pc doesn't recognize it using ADE either.

What is android file transfer? Not familiar.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #123
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I'll try that too. My pc doesn't recognize it using ADE either.

What is android file transfer? Not familiar.
Android File Transfer is a little app you get from Google that lets Macs see certain Android devices and what is on their storage. AFT didn't work for me for a while, but then (oddly) it started working. Once you install AFT, then when you connect an Android device to your Mac, AFT should open automatically and show you your device's contents, like a Finder window.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #124
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I noticed this too, but thought maybe the device was just a bit slow to respond when moving through menus. It was fine when turning the pages of a book. Probably something they could iron out through software updates.
You have a PW3, how does the GL Plus compare? I checked out the PW3 at Staples and I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I've never been a fan of the Kindle look and feel but I was impressed by the PW3's screen readability and the cool stuff life like X-ray. And the dictionary, though still on smaller font size, is much easier to read than the GL Plus'.

My biggest hangup about going with the PW3 is about joining the dark side...in terms of e-reading. I do buy from Amazon but over the last year, I try to buy from other online retailers. My own little way to foster a healthy online retailing industry. But Amazon is so convenient...
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #125
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you really want to foster a healthy online retail industry ...

Buy ereaders from Amazon -- which Amazon doesn't make money on.
Then buy ebooks from other vendors, which the other vendors make money on. (Convert with calibre.)

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #126
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Actually it's when turning the pages than I mostly notice it.
One goes through the menus much rarely than turning pages.
And too many a times I thought I touched but the page doesn't turn so then I try again, same intensity, bc I think I just thought that I touched, but still doesn't turn and then I realize and touch again, the 3rd time, harder, and then it turns ... frustrating ...

I guess/hope in time my subconscious will learn to press harder to start with ...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #127
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Android File Transfer is a little app you get from Google that lets Macs see certain Android devices and what is on their storage. AFT didn't work for me for a while, but then (oddly) it started working. Once you install AFT, then when you connect an Android device to your Mac, AFT should open automatically and show you your device's contents, like a Finder window.
It seems Android File Transfer is an MTP implementation for Mac.
Thus in order for it to do anything the device needs to be setup to show itself as an MTP device when connected.
So make your your devices are setup as such.
If they are using USB Mass Storage then they should show up in Mac w/out any additional software app help.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #128
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I spent an hour on the phone with BN, still not working. Installed android file transfer, updated Adobe digital edition, still not working. They suggested I call Adobe tomorrow. I tried on my pc and Mac, Adobe digitals still not recognizing the device, so I can't transfer books from there to nook.

If Adobe can't resolve the problem I guess I'll have to return it and settle with my old glow light. The program sees it : (
Old 10-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #129
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I spent an hour on the phone with BN, still not working. Installed android file transfer, updated Adobe digital edition, still not working. They suggested I call Adobe tomorrow. I tried on my pc and Mac, Adobe digitals still not recognizing the device, so I can't transfer books from there to nook.

If Adobe can't resolve the problem I guess I'll have to return it and settle with my old glow light. The program sees it : (
From what I read on the inet it seems ADE doesn't support MTP.
I think Android File Transfer makes the Mac be able to see the device, but it's not that transparent of a solution that it automatically makes ADE work as well.

Seems that there is still a way to use ADE but in two steps:
- download books via ADE and save them on disk
- copy the books manually to the device
Old 10-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #130
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur

I'm trying. I think the problem is the ebooks are protected so after I transferred them to the device I get an error saying not supported : (
Old 10-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #131
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
You have a PW3, how does the GL Plus compare? I checked out the PW3 at Staples and I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I've never been a fan of the Kindle look and feel but I was impressed by the PW3's screen readability and the cool stuff life like X-ray. And the dictionary, though still on smaller font size, is much easier to read than the GL Plus'.

My biggest hangup about going with the PW3 is about joining the dark side...in terms of e-reading. I do buy from Amazon but over the last year, I try to buy from other online retailers. My own little way to foster a healthy online retailing industry. But Amazon is so convenient...
The PW3 is my first time really going on board with Amazon. I loved the original Nook and Nook Color. However, I am nothing but impressed with the PW3. It is very responsive, has a great screen and the Kindle specific features like X-ray and Bookerly font are quite nice. It also integrates my side loaded content from Calibre pretty seamlessly with the books I have bought on Amazon. I gave the new Nook about 20 minutes and was not impressed. Interface was slower and the screen on the Nook seemed to have slightly worse contrast. All of this could get better with new firmware, but they can't fix the design. Waterproof is great, but the metal edges digging into your hand and that tacky looking front are not and there is no way I could live with either.

Another problem is how consumer unfriendly B&N has become. Amazon might be the evil empire, but they at least still make it easy for me to download my books to Calibre and make them DRM free.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #132
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Another problem is how consumer unfriendly B&N has become. Amazon might be the evil empire, but they at least still make it easy for me to download my books to Calibre and make them DRM free.
Lol, I'm pretty sure that's not their intention
Old 10-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #133
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Lol, I'm pretty sure that's not their intention
Is it anyone's intention?

Not only does B&N not have that intention, they also aggressively enforce that not-intention.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #134
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
The PW3 is my first time really going on board with Amazon. I loved the original Nook and Nook Color. However, I am nothing but impressed with the PW3. It is very responsive, has a great screen and the Kindle specific features like X-ray and Bookerly font are quite nice. It also integrates my side loaded content from Calibre pretty seamlessly with the books I have bought on Amazon. I gave the new Nook about 20 minutes and was not impressed. Interface was slower and the screen on the Nook seemed to have slightly worse contrast. All of this could get better with new firmware, but they can't fix the design. Waterproof is great, but the metal edges digging into your hand and that tacky looking front are not and there is no way I could live with either.

I had high hopes for this device - that maybe B&N would truly get it, and offer something that was consumer friendly. With this Plus, they had the opportunity to claim a niche market (at least in the USA) - an eInk device running a fairly recent version of Android with a 300 dpi resolution... why not let people (at least) sideload apps if they wish, or use Calibre? B&N went out of their way to try to close doors or make it difficult for their device to be used in such ways. Why not show some confidence and embrace these things? Make them a selling point? Or at least leave the doors open and let the word get out on the street? No. B&N continues on its consumer-unfriendly path. I agree that Amazon is far more consumer-friendly and more confident in their products.

This Glowlight Plus is a decent device overall. I used it for reading this afternoon. The page turns happen at a comfortable speed. There were a few times when I needed to touch the screen a second time to get the page to turn, but that wasn't a big issue. Text is sharp as you'd expect it to be. Contrast isn't as good as it could be, because B&N continues doing what they did in the last Glowlight. They make the background a darker gray than you'll find on the PW3 or other devices. Contrast suffers in comparison. If someone bought one as their first eInk device, they'd be perfectly happy with it. But the PW3 would edge it out in a comparison, even though I wouldn't use some features like X-Ray.

Rooting would make the Glowlight Plus more competitive with other readers - even give it an edge. But B&N could have built in that edge if they wanted to. They opened up their tablets to have Play Store quite some time ago. But not for their eInk device. Good thing I still have my Boyue T62+!

I'm not sure if I'll keep my new Glowlight Plus. I'm giving it a chance to make its case. I actually like the aluminum back and don't find it uncomfortable to hold at all. We'll see.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #135
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I... why not let people (at least) sideload apps if they wish, or use Calibre? B&N went out of their way to try to close doors or make it difficult for their device to be used in such ways. Why not show some confidence and embrace these things? Make them a selling point? Or at least leave the doors open and let the word get out on the street? No. B&N continues on its consumer-unfriendly path. I agree that Amazon is far more consumer-friendly and more confident in their products.
It's in this thread that Calibre will work w/ NGP as soon as the author releases a new patched version.
The fact that it doesn't work from the start I think it's an oversight on their part, a side effect from the underlying Android being upgraded and using MTP by default.
That's what also broke the ADE stuff apparently which it's an important underlying asset for them, since that's the DRM implementation they use.

I don't think they are actively trying to disallow use of apps, it's just they have a different target in mind.
The eink readers are trying to be simple and do one thing only.
The color LCD ones are more of a tablet in their mind, thus it's ok to have store.

I actually prefer to have the option of rooting them and then gaining access to the Android ecosystem, than buying a Kindle that I know for sure it's pretty much all there is to it.