Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #121
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmck View Post
This really bugs me! People with books on health, family, finance or whatever, which they wanted to keep private have now shared that with Adobe and any other party that happen to listen in on the communication.

Time to edit your hosts file so that information isn't sent to adobe...

Windows:
Double click on C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (edit with Notepad or Wordpad) and add:
127.0.0.1 adelogs.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 192.150.16.235

Linux:
you know where it is. :-)

Mac:
No idea how...
I prefer my own setup.... I only have ADE installed on a virtual machine... I use it to download the DRM-infected book, remove the infection and then move it to my host... And the VM doesn't know anything about the host!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #122
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshayy View Post
ADE doesn't scan anybody's PC or hard drives!
Akshayy I recall that you are someone with certain inside knowledge about Adobe and ADE, do you disagree with the information in the link in the OP's post?

What's your assessment of what's going on.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 AM   #123
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ADE2, ADE3, Sony Xperia tablet Z, Nexus 7C, iPad 2x2, iPad 3
I think iOS reader shows you nicely how much time you spend reading a few pages or books, tell you time to finish it and all the good stuff in nice pictures, graphs!
Akshayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #124
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshayy View Post
I think iOS reader shows you nicely how much time you spend reading a few pages or books, tell you time to finish it and all the good stuff in nice pictures, graphs!
I'm not sure how that relates to ADE and the assumptions that are being made that Adobe may/may not be able to read our drive.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #125
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not a red herring. Remember that Amazon too do time-limiting DRM, for their "Kindle Owners' Lending Library", and also for textbook rental. I maintain my view that time-limiting is an entirely legitimate use for the technology, and that Adobe can't be "demonised" for providing a tool to meet that need.
I don't think that's true. My understanding is that you can keep a KOLL book as long as you want to, but you can only have one book out at a time (and can only borrow a maximum of one book a month).
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #126
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
Please correct me if my rehash is wrong:
Compared to ADE 1/2/3 ADE 4 sends a good deal more data to Adobe's servers (and here is confusion still) for books opened with ADE (with DRM or all), all books in the ADE library, all books somehow linked to the ADE library, all books on the device. The data is send to a new adress, not the one used for DRM with older versions. The DRM functionality seems to be working even with the "new data connection" blocked.
Adobe apologizes for the plain-text transmission, but says all the data is needed for DRM purposes and within the limits of ADE EULA.

Why started Adobe the expanded data collection?
(1) Big customers briefed Adobe to build up a comprehensive database on ebook/device use, reading habits etc.
(2) Adobe plans to offer his customers new DRM variations for new business models.
(3) Customers asked Adobe to implement new DRM variations for new business models.

My money is on option 3 - in its statement Adobe talks about geo-locking and page-number-restrictions (for non-fiction?). But ...
Please help me to speculate
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #127
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This is a red herring -- Amazon only logs your Amazon purchases. . . . We can tell, because in fact your library ISN'T synced. Your PURCHASES are.
It sounds as though you might have missed the first part of my post (note the tastefully formatted distinction made by the author whose text appears below and who happens to be typing right now):

Quote:
Judging from articles that appeared after Nate's in The Digital Reader, it sounds as though ADE's scanning of entire libraries hasn't been verified yet. What has been verified is the transmission of data from books opened with ADE (including non-DRM'd titles) [hot lavender emphasis added].
There's a difference between your point (Amazon only logs books purchased through Amazon) and mine (Amazon doesn't log entire libraries), but my issue with Nate's claim is that ADE's logging of entire libraries seems doubtful and hasn't been proved. That issue, mon semblance, mon frere, remains valid (as does our pal Baudelaire, though he might be a tad powdery by now).

Also: No offense (and I don't mean that sarcastically), but you might want to lighten up on the rhetorical terminology if you're going to stray from the intended meaning of red herring. Even if my conclusion turned out to be wrong (which has been known to happen, eh?), my mention of a secondary issue would not have been an attempt to distract anyone from the primary issue (whatever you consider that to be).

Additionally, using specific terms like ad hominem, straw man and even red herring can put people on the defensive because flagging supposed mistakes in their reasoning as classic errors or gambits can make them feel judged and/or fisked. Also, it invites them to fisk the accuser's posts in the same spirit, all of which can make for a rather strained conversation (which I assume was not your intent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yes, but the difference is that Amazon/Apple would send you closed the book/synced etc at 9:03 am on page 342 so it would know what was the most recent and what page to open to. The Adobe info records that at 8:30 you turned to page 302, at 8:30:30 you turned to page 303, at 8:30:35 you went back to page 302, at 8:30:40 you turned to 303 etc. I'm willing to allow the 1st example if I want to sync between the devices, the 2nd one stinks of Big Brother. And that's totally aside from the fact that it's transmitted in the clear.
Thanks for the explanation, Robko. I meant to give karma to that post; I'll do it now.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-10-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #128
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ADE2, ADE3, Sony Xperia tablet Z, Nexus 7C, iPad 2x2, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm not sure how that relates to ADE and the assumptions that are being made that Adobe may/may not be able to read our drive.
oh ok, if that's the question, then ADE doesn't read your hard drive.
ADE reads only the books you ask ADE to open for you. That is using ade to read books.

If there is a book sitting there on your hard disk, ade will never touch it.

ADE may scan ADE library, every software will scan its own library.

Last edited by Akshayy; 10-09-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Akshayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #129
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
If that's the case:

{"msg_DocumentScanned":{"Document Scanned":{"atTime":1412622270683,"Title":"Crown of Empire","Creator":"Chelsea Quinn Yarbro","Subject":"","Description":"<p>The Pact of Mankind is a dinosaur lumbering toward oblivion: hedged about by alien enemies, it is rotten with decadence and corruption. The Pact is run by competing oligarchies of criminal corporations, but it is ruled by a single man--the High Secretary of the Pact. But if he should die, it would be feeding time in the piranha tank.</p>","Publisher":"Baen","Contributor":"calibre (2.3.0) [http://calibre-ebook.com]","Date":"1994-01-02T05:00:00+00:00","Language":"en","Format":"","Ty pe":"","Identifier":"23bc46c9-ecf8-442d-b6db-91d623ab2496","Source":"","Relation":"","Coverage" :"","Rights":""}}},

Why would it be pulling things from Calibre as in this example?? Or am I reading this wrong?? Especially if it's coming from Baen, which I didn't think used ADE or any sort of DRM.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #130
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
If that's the case:

{"msg_DocumentScanned":{"Document Scanned":{"atTime":1412622270683,"Title":"Crown of Empire","Creator":"Chelsea Quinn Yarbro","Subject":"","Description":"<p>The Pact of Mankind is a dinosaur lumbering toward oblivion: hedged about by alien enemies, it is rotten with decadence and corruption. The Pact is run by competing oligarchies of criminal corporations, but it is ruled by a single man--the High Secretary of the Pact. But if he should die, it would be feeding time in the piranha tank.</p>","Publisher":"Baen","Contributor":"calibre (2.3.0) [http://calibre-ebook.com]","Date":"1994-01-02T05:00:00+00:00","Language":"en","Format":"","Ty pe":"","Identifier":"23bc46c9-ecf8-442d-b6db-91d623ab2496","Source":"","Relation":"","Coverage" :"","Rights":""}}},

Why would it be pulling things from Calibre as in this example?? Or am I reading this wrong?? Especially if it's coming from Baen, which I didn't think used ADE or any sort of DRM.
This looks more as if it's a book that came from Calibre, but was in the local ADE library. ie a Calibre book which had been opened in ADE, and thus added to the ADE library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #131
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't think Baen used ADE or any DRM for that matter, so that's why it jumped out at me.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't think Baen used ADE or any DRM for that matter, so that's why it jumped out at me.
They don't, but ADE installs itself as the default ePub reader, so on many PCs (mine included) if you double click an ePub book in Windows Explorer, it will open in ADE, and that process of opening the book copies it to the ADE library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #133
jhempel24
Wizard

Ah, mine is Sigil.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #134
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Remove ADE from your computer. Get a cheap notebook for downloading books. DeDRM the books, transfer them to your computer, then delete the book from the notebook. Keep WiFi/3G off on your ereader.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #135
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This looks more as if it's a book that came from Calibre, but was in the local ADE library. ie a Calibre book which had been opened in ADE, and thus added to the ADE library.
Nate explicitly states that several of the books logged were DRM-free and were never opened. Period. At least some of those title should have been invisible to ADE.

If you read the full list of items Adobe admits they log and why, in the Register article linked to in a post here, above, you'll find that they look for "certified app id" to fight DRM cracking.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10..._is_important/

Quote:
Certified app ID: The Certified App ID is collected as part of the DRM workflow to ensure that only certified apps can render a book, reducing DRM hacks and compromised DRM implementations.
Nate has tested several Alf-ie tool plug-ins (most recently during the Kobo downloads discussions) and has confirmed his system has Calibre plugins installed. It has been speculated, and not just by me, that ADE 4 looks for Calibre plugins and/or DRM-free ebooks in its library to see if the user has removed DRM from commercial ebooks. It has also suggested that it might have scanned the calibre library because of some interaction with Calibre in server mode. Last I looked in the comments there, it was still an open question.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-09-2014 at 07:12 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote