Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I wish there WAS a registry of current copyright holders. It would make finding the rightsholder of orphaned works much easier. Right now it often takes a legal department a long time to track down who can autherize publication 50 years after the author has died and 70 years since he last had contact with a publisher. A registry would be wonderful. There are so many books that no one knows who owns them anymore including the owners.
I totally agree. It's as least as bad, if not worse, trying to identify the copyright holder of a piece of music, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #122
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Well, I got it last night and started reading it.

About all that can be said for it is that it's readable; there were some obvious scanning errors (initcap i's in the middle of a sentence) and some not so obvious ones (b / h interchanged). I'll have to check against my paper copy - I spotted what looked like a lacuna as well.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #123
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I wish there WAS a registry of current copyright holders.
It would certainly be nice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #124
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon CAN do something about this problem. What Amazon can do is validate all uploaded eBooks before they are allowed to be in the system. I know this takes time and has to be done by hand, but it would stop illegal eBooks from being sold.

I'm just waiting until someone with the legal rights to the illegal eBook(s) SOLD on Amazon to sue the heck out of Amazon. Amazon is at fault because they allowed these illegal eBooks to be put up for sale and then proceeded to sell them.
That's not Amazon's business model. They push all that sort of stuff off on to the publishers. Minimize their cost by pushing the expense on someone else. As long as someone signs a letter saying they have the publishing rights, Amazon is good with that. The legalities are a bit up in the air. I believe that Amazon has a safe harbor until they get a take down notice from the copyright holder. The up in the air part is Amazon's legal liability if the work gets put back up after they get the take down notice. I would assume that unless someone can show that Amazon is showing willful indifference on a massive scale, no suit will rise above the pay a few K to make it go away level.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #125
gigimigi
gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gigimigi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Princes-A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Nine Princes in Amber: Book One (The Chronicles of Amber 1) Kindle edition on Amazon.
gigimigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #126
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimigi View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Princes-A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Nine Princes in Amber: Book One (The Chronicles of Amber 1) Kindle edition on Amazon.
Woo-Hoo!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #127
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Still waiting on Lord of Light.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #128
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Still waiting on Lord of Light.
Apache
I suspect that given that the second in the Amber series hasn't been made available yet (the first came out back in July), it may be a long wait for all of us Zelazny fans. Maybe they are waiting to see how well it sales.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #129
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am hoping I will still be alive when they release Lord of Light. At least I have it in paper.
Apache
Old 09-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #130
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I see that 15 years ago, Fantasy Masterworks may have released the Amber series in ebook form:

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?ID=1818

I assume it was in ebook form. Not sure, though. If it was, then it may have been released in .Lit or in .RB format, since that was so long ago.

Does anyone have additional information on this?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-23-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #131
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am hoping I will still be alive when they release Lord of Light. At least I have it in paper.
Apache
Well, they say that life spans are getting longer.

At times I wonder if the copyright holders of some of the old master works have serious dog in the manger syndrome.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #132
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm pretty sure the Fantasy Masterwork edition was paper only (and possibly UK only). There is still an SF Masterwork edition of Lord of Light in paper only, too.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #133
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm pretty sure the Fantasy Masterwork edition was paper only (and possibly UK only). There is still an SF Masterwork edition of Lord of Light in paper only, too.

I think you're right, in that there was only a paper edition. Any other editions seem to be illegal copies.

I used to have First Editions of most of these, but that was a long time ago.

'Lord of Light', which was not part of the series, was an incredible book and won (I believe) the Hugo Award for Best Novel.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #134
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think you're right, in that there was only a paper edition. Any other editions seem to be illegal copies.

I used to have First Editions of most of these, but that was a long time ago.

'Lord of Light', which was not part of the series, was an incredible book and won (I believe) the Hugo Award for Best Novel.
Yes it is still an incredible book and it won the Hugo in 1968. I have read this book many times over the years and would buy it as soon as it is released as an ebook.
Apache
Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #135
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Even reasonably priced. Awesome
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote