Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #121
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
And what's with the $359 price tag?
They sold out long before Christmas at this price. I assume it will drop to $299 after a few months, but it will have to be in stock with no shipping delays for a while before that becomes likely.

Amazon is making a huge profit on the Kindle - they have no retailers taking a cut and the device probably does not cost much more to make than the Sony PRS-505. My guess is that the K2 is cheaper to make than the K1, as you say since they have not added significant capability it really should be cheaper to make.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #122
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
All I know is that I am terribly excited I have a Kindle on order. After reading so many complaints about the ergonomics of the original Kindle, the pictures of the 2.0 make it look sweet... It's easy to imagine reading late into the night on the pretty 2.0. And some have knocked it for having an Apple-sque appearance? Are they mad? To resemble an Apple product is high-praise in my eyes.
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #123
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
All I know is that I am terribly excited I have a Kindle on order. After reading so many complaints about the ergonomics of the original Kindle, the pictures of the 2.0 make it look sweet... It's easy to imagine reading late into the night on the pretty 2.0. And some have knocked it for having an Apple-sque appearance? Are they mad? To resemble an Apple product is high-praise in my eyes.
No, not mad. It isn't really a knock (aesthetically it's pleasing), but it's just been...done. You know?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
It looks much better than the first kindle in my opinion! Which I thought was really ugly!

I would be tempted to buy if they "fixed" the format so you could view more formats without having to do funky stuff.

I would also love a price drop, but so far that doesn't seem like its going to happen.

Is the thinness really better? I have a eb1150 which is about as thick as a paperback book and I find it very comfortable to hold. Does the thinner ones really feel more comfortable? I have little hands but think that the thin readers might not actually be more comfortable because of how you have to hold your hands. I dunno, anyone have thoughts on that?

Amy
Having had a Sony PRS-500 and now having a PRS-505, I find the 505 better to hold in one hand then I did the 500. The 500 was thicker and heavier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #125
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Definitely not thrilled about the joystick. When I first saw the new design I cringed but after looking at these photos, I think I'd like it. However, having owned a PRS-500, I'm turned off by joysticks on e-ink readers. I don't like using the main screen to scroll to where I want. The response time isn't as fast. I can see it being very annoying to look up words and select links. And, as others have noted, I really want SD support. I never use the USB cord to put content on my Kindle. I just take the SD card out and put it in my computer to transfer content. Hopefully the device looks better after the press conference. So far, I definitely don't like the direction Amazon is taking.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #126
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Definitely not thrilled about the joystick. When I first saw the new design I cringed but after looking at these photos, I think I'd like it. However, having owned a PRS-500, I'm turned off by joysticks on e-ink readers. I don't like using the main screen to scroll to where I want. The response time isn't as fast. I can see it being very annoying to look up words and select links. And, as others have noted, I really want SD support. I never use the USB cord to put content on my Kindle. I just take the SD card out and put it in my computer to transfer content. Hopefully the device looks better after the press conference. So far, I definitely don't like the direction Amazon is taking.
its plenty fast with the new epson controller on the PRS 700. which this kindle is expected to have.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #127
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
My Kindle 1.0 just arrived yesterday (I got this from Ebay, almost $400 without shipping fee) and 2.0 coming soon.
I just falling in love with my device and feel bad to leave this lovely baby so soon.
I can read with this and it's ok. I only want to read and 1.0 is good to read- enough for me.

But 2.0 looks so cool. I wonder they support SD card?

If they don't support SD and large battery time, I'll not move into 2.0. Woooh .

Or maybe I might want to wait for Kindle 3.0 someday
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #128
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Still excited as heck for Kindle 2. Just the bulk of the Kindle 1 vs 2 is amazing. Bring on Monday!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #129
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I never understand why people make SD card such a big issue. The built-in memory can hold 100+ books and that's enough for me. I think it is related to the American super-sized-everything consumerism.

Maybe it makes sense if you want to put mp3s on it. But then again, did anyone seriously use kindle as a mp3 player? audio books?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #130
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I never understand why people make SD card such a big issue. The built-in memory can hold 100+ books and that's enough for me. I think it is related to the American super-sized-everything consumerism.
Because it's not enough for everyone?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #131
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:

Maybe it makes sense if you want to put mp3s on it. But then again, did anyone seriously use kindle as a mp3 player? audio books?
I myself have never used an SD card for storage on my readers. But I'm used to keeping most of my books in my computer. Even if folders were available, I would still only carry less then 30 books at a time. I rarely carry more then 30 books at a time in both readers.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #132
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

I'm glad 100 plus books is enough for you.

Its not for me. One of the big draws to e-book readers is the ability to carry your entire library with you whereever you are. I didn't spend $359 to be limited by the number of books I can download.

I have a 4 GB card on mine, and so far have only managed to put 300plus books on it, but by golly if I want 4000 books on it I know I can have them.........all catagorized by author, last name first.

I also hate audio books and if I'm reading, why do I want to listen to music? Just distracting.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #133
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Because many of us read on multiple devices. E-ink for out of doors and leasure reading at home. Tablet PC for general use and while chatting or in bed, PDA phone to have wherever you are.

I personally use micro SD cards that slip into adaptors for use in mini SD, Sony Pro Duo, or full sized SD slots.

You could, I suppose duplicate the file on all of those machines. I prefer the card method. That way the limited file search ability of my Wife's PRS-505 isn't taxed.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #134
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm glad 100 plus books is enough for you.

Its not for me. One of the big draws to e-book readers is the ability to carry your entire library with you whereever you are. I didn't spend $359 to be limited by the number of books I can download.

I have a 4 GB card on mine, and so far have only managed to put 300plus books on it, but by golly if I want 4000 books on it I know I can have them.........all catagorized by author, last name first.
I hear ya. And I had that ambition when I first got my e-reader. (So I lied, I actually understood why people wanted expansion slot that much.) Then I came to understand that it was a portable reader and it was not designed to handle your whole library, not in the current gen anyways. If you put too much stuff on it, it will crash the menu, make the full-text search very slow and result very noisy. So I just keep the best of the best works on my reader and leave everything else in the "cloud". Usually a google search can delivery more relevant information about my request. And that's also why I prefer Kindle to Sony reader.

I agree that it is a personal thing and it is always better to have options. The point I want to make is that: it sucks if Kindle 2 doesn't have SD slot, but it may not be as disastrous as you think.

And, I am very certain that Kindle 2's built-in memory can hold 400 books.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #135
lovebeta
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Because many of us read on multiple devices. E-ink for out of doors and leasure reading at home. Tablet PC for general use and while chatting or in bed, PDA phone to have wherever you are.

I personally use micro SD cards that slip into adaptors for use in mini SD, Sony Pro Duo, or full sized SD slots.

You could, I suppose duplicate the file on all of those machines. I prefer the card method. That way the limited file search ability of my Wife's PRS-505 isn't taxed.
Yes I have both PRS-505 and Kindle. It's a good idea to have a portable SD library. Didn't think about it before. Though it is not very realistic now since their formats aren't compatible.

Another issue about kindle: I think Kindle will do a full-text index whenever you plug in a sd with new books. YOu battery can be depleted overnight. I am not if the software will be smart enough to identify the sd you plugged in was there before and therefore avoid doing all the indexing again. I hope not.