Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #121
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I would like to point out that the ONLY evidence of the "glossy finish" is the promo picture, which was probably heavily staged and photoshopped. If they had SUPER HIGH LIGHTS in the staging area or somebody 'shopped a reflection on not knowing that's a Do Not Want for readers, well... I'm going to wait before I freak out.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #122
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I really don't understand the massive aversion to plastic shown in this thread.

The kindles are plastic
Exactly.
Kindle 3 feels like a cheap flimsy plastic in my hand.

I don't care about laptop and mobile phones. They are for different purposes.
I like the sturdy feel of all of my Sony Readers 500, 505 and 650. I disliked K3 though.

Another thing worth to mention is that they gave up on support of LRF format.
Right now, I have 83 ebooks in LRF format.
Converting doesn't work 1:1.
Unfortunately, new Sony Reader.... albeit, without a smile.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #123
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post

I wonder how Sony-lovers will justify liking the plastic casing, after some have thoroughly trashed the Kindle and other e-readers for theirs... where are the cries of higher build quality = worth the much higher price?
I'm a Sony lover but I sure don't object to the plastic frames. I honestly don't think one is better. My Nook Classic & Kindle 3 have been holding up fine. Though there have been some instances where Kindle & Nook frames have had cracks. I think for the most part that has been corrected though.

That said I don't think I'll be getting another Sony since I'm quite satisfied with my 350.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #124
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
A follow-up of the 950 wouldn't be availabe at bol.com. As the entire 900 line was never sold outside the US. So, you can't tell from this one page...
Not from that page, no.
But so far, only the T1 has been spotted in FCC circles and if its release is as near as that page suggests any other wireless models (a 950 replacement for this year) should've been spotted by now. (Especially since the FCC pipeline is 3 months deep.)
The possibility for non-wifi models exists but the change in nomenclature to "T1" doesn't leave much room for lesser models, what with the Tablet line appropriating the "S" naming.

Just reading tea leaves, here, of course.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #125
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Aluminum, plastic... Ugh. I was hoping the next Sony would be made out of hemp.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #126
lissbell
lissbell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader PRS-500
I'm ambivalent. I'd been planning to purchase the 650 this month, but it appears to be long gone.

I applaud the T1's reduction in weight. I'm sure the trimming of grams was achieved mostly by the switch to plastic so I'm trying to embrace this development gracefully, but it's not easy. I dislike the look and feel of most plastics. Oh well, when it comes down to it I value lower weight over aesthetics.

I don't plan to use wi-fi and will almost certainly keep it toggled off. It might be nice, though, to know that I could use it if I found myself in a pinch.

Overall I'm pleased enough by these new specs to comfortably plan a purchase this fall. It's high time. My old reader has reached the end of its usefulness. T1 hurry up and get here.
lissbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #127
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Engadget has an interesting observation:

Quote:
"... don't those look rather like Android buttons? Could it be that Sony is founding its latest Reader upon the omnipresent OS (as various rivals have done) and even permitting some of that green robot goodness to bubble to the surface?"
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #128
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

For those who comment about those who comment on the loss of metal casing:

I dislike it too. It was pretty much the only thing left that distinguished Sony from the rest of the bunch in this generation. This new model is practically no different than Nook Touch, especially if its OS is Android too. Not to mention that clip-on cases are gone, as opposed to Nook Touch, which has clip-on cases.
Tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #129
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Look it up

So much disappointment in this thread...

I have a question about this part (broken English by Google Translate):

Look it up

The Sony PRS-T1 you have all the knowledge at hand, and Google Search on Wikipedia, so you're shy to answer a pressing question, then this e-reader you an answer. In the vicinity of a WiFi connection, of course.

Is this done right (ease of selection, speed, good presentation of the results, convenience...) on any of the current e-readers? (Which?)
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #130
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It works extremely well on the Kindle. You can do a Wikipedia search as easily as a dictionary lookup.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #131
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm more seriously tempted now to pick up a spare 350 or 650 before the T1s come out. I really believe the metal case of the current Sony's helps protect the screen from flexing at all. Lighter weight is usually good, but not at the expense of quality, and that's the drawback for me. That and that godawful curved bottom of the new design.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #132
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I really don't understand the massive aversion to plastic shown in this thread.

Plastic does not mean "cheap" and it does not mean "flimsy"... it doesn't mean low brow. A high percentage of products you use every day have plastics in them. Heck, you might even have flown in a plane built of plastic... all be it hi quality carbon fiber reinforced plastic.

The kindles are plastic as are most cell phones and laptops.

BOb
Just one word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU6hW...eature=related
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #133
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoe View Post
I dislike it too. It was pretty much the only thing left that distinguished Sony from the rest of the bunch in this generation.
Not to worry, because Sony still has something the others don't - high prices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #134
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It works extremely well on the Kindle. You can do a Wikipedia search as easily as a dictionary lookup.
a
Thanks! Is it customizable? E.g. is it possible to pass a selected word(s) to any web page as a parameter?

Btw, I don't like the Kindle's physical keyboard. I hope they will get rid of it with the next model.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #135
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Aluminum, plastic... Ugh. I was hoping the next Sony would be made out of hemp.
Man, you GOT it!

Apple even goes so far as to make notebooks out of AIR, which you can pollute with any and all intoxicants of your choice.

Green rules!
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs