Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #1291
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Well that explains a lot. There's perhaps one problem though, the custom CSS file is specific to each device. You can put it on yours, but if you give the coveted book to someone else you either have to also put the custom CSS on their device (assuming they're also using Kobo readers). It's more work for you, but you may be better off if I understand you correctly to edit each ePub file to either remove the hyphenation or add the custom CSS to disable hyphenation to each content file.

One thing I could perhaps do is to add some code to give a "disable all hyphenation" option to modify the book and add the custom CSS to a book's content files for you. That'll be a few days for me to do and test, I don't have a lot of time each day.
The readers we use in the elderly people home are mine.. my wife is a nurse there but it is hard to explain to people why their readers don't work the way they did,with the kepubs they don't even know that they get another format as they had before.
The same with the tv's... they use a simple version of the Logitech Harmony.
If the tv broke, I just re-program the Harmony.. they know how to use it,that it sending a total different code to the new tv they don't understand,as long as they can use the Harmony it is fine, all "dangerous" codes to get into menu where they can change the frequency's are removed.
Sometimes we have to bend our reality to theirs.
I have my normal work,after that I work sometimes 4 hours a day to build new epubs..there are some people that don't understand the tapping on the screen,for them we have a couple of sony 600 and 650 with the < and > phisical buttons so I can't change all to kepub,if that was the case it was simple.. but I am stuck between two formats now.. I think the project is grown to big
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #1292
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Sounds like a driver option is best for you. You'd want to test this, but KePub files are just ePubs with special invisible markup added. If you change the extension to .epub not only should a Sony reader pick them up but they should look like a normal ePub.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #1293
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like a driver option is best for you. You'd want to test this, but KePub files are just ePubs with special invisible markup added. If you change the extension to .epub not only should a Sony reader pick them up but they should look like a normal ePub.
I did test it, but for some reason calibre doesn't want to transfer them,I think there is another hidden option for it but for now, I am a bit overwhelmed by all information and settings.. my internal brain card is read only this morning with migraine
Old 06-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #1294
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
I did test it, but for some reason calibre doesn't want to transfer them,I think there is another hidden option for it but for now, I am a bit overwhelmed by all information and settings.. my internal brain card is read only this morning with migraine
Do you mean sending kepubs using the main driver? If so, you need to select kepub as on of the formats for the device. Then decide on the position in the list. I put it first so that if there is a kepub it will be sent, otherwise the epub will be sent.

The same should work with the extended driver. If a kepub is there, it will be sent. If not, the epub sent and converted to kepub on the fly,
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #1295
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That should work even for a non-Kobo as well. Sony readers (and most ePub readers) look for files ending in ".epub". KePub files are sent with the extension ".kepub.epub", which is the special extension Kobo devices look for to denote a KePub file and also ends with ".epub" so other readers should pick it up fine.
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #1296
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you mean sending kepubs using the main driver? If so, you need to select kepub as on of the formats for the device. Then decide on the position in the list. I put it first so that if there is a kepub it will be sent, otherwise the epub will be sent.

The same should work with the extended driver. If a kepub is there, it will be sent. If not, the epub sent and converted to kepub on the fly,
Ah ok, Sorry, the translation seems for me that this option was for the format that calibre can open and displays it like it does with epubs,but because a multi clicking on a kepub file only brings up a windows screen inside Calibre that it can't find a standard program to open it with, I unchecked it again.
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #1297
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Calibre should be able to use its internal viewer, but I'm not sure how to make that association from a plugin.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #1298
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Well that explains a lot. There's perhaps one problem though, the custom CSS file is specific to each device. You can put it on yours, but if you give the coveted book to someone else you either have to also put the custom CSS on their device (assuming they're also using Kobo readers). It's more work for you, but you may be better off if I understand you correctly to edit each ePub file to either remove the hyphenation or add the custom CSS to disable hyphenation to each content file.

One thing I could perhaps do is to add some code to give a "disable all hyphenation" option to modify the book and add the custom CSS to a book's content files for you. That'll be a few days for me to do and test, I don't have a lot of time each day.

You might want to look at the code for Koreader's "clear all external styles", over at the project on Github. Perhaps their approach to hyphenation could also be usable in a conversion plugin? (I have the English_US_hyphen_Alan one selected) There is also an "@algorithm" option.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #1299
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Calibre should be able to use its internal viewer, but I'm not sure how to make that association from a plugin.
If I do a conversion, without using the KoboTouchExtended plugin,choose as output kepub from inside calibre with the normal KoboTouch plugin, Calibre build a kepub. (not an kepub.epub)
In the list with books you see 2 type of files, the epub and the kepub.
When you click the epub,it opens with calibres preview window.
When I click the kepub that is just build (the internally converted one) windows ask which default program it must be opened so it seems that the internal viewer of Calibre can't preview/display the build kepub.
When the windows popup ask me which file I should use to open or display kepub,I can say: Calibre but then it starts again, it doesn't display the kepub.

This is with the KoboTouchExtended driver disabled,and David's KoboTouch driver enabled.

For example, I import a epub called thief, there is a thief.epub in the list.
When I convert that one with calibre and choose kepub as output, it makes a file named thief.kepub (not thief.kepub.epub) and I can press on it what I want, it can't display it because the output file is not an kepub.epub file, but only a kepub file.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #1300
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Calibre only understands single extensions. The .kepub file is strictly for calibre's internal use. There's two ways you can go about this:

1) Ignore anything on your file system, only use calibre and the extended driver to transfer books.
2) If you need the actual files for any reason (and with what you're doing I can see a number of legitimate reasons) manually add the .epub extension. When you send a book to a Kobo device it must have the .kepub.epub double extension, but when sending to any other ePub reader it can either have the same double extension or only the single .epub extension.

I can't make the calibre converted file have the double extension, calibre doesn't know about double extensions and the effort to make it understand would be significant, highly error-prone, and of questionable value since only this single plugin can even try to make a case for needing it.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #1301
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That should work even for a non-Kobo as well. Sony readers (and most ePub readers) look for files ending in ".epub". KePub files are sent with the extension ".kepub.epub", which is the special extension Kobo devices look for to denote a KePub file and also ends with ".epub" so other readers should pick it up fine.
The double extension gets put there by the Kobo drivers. If you sent them through another driver, the extension would stay as "kepub".
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #1302
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes it does, but, you need to go to the "Behavior" page of the preferences and select it in the "Use internal viewer for" list.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #1303
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Ahh, yes, I did assume that the extended driver is being used. It's aware of the extension mangling needed and updates the file name correctly if you have the option to apply extended features. It's also aware of the conversion plugin and won't attempt to convert content files that have already been converted.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #1304
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes it does, but, you need to go to the "Behavior" page of the preferences and select it in the "Use internal viewer for" list.
Wow.. that was the one I was looking for !!!
Every day and day I learn to use more and more functions and every day I again learn how much this program adds to my daily use.
Yes... it is sometimes difficult to translate in my mind to my language, it is not that I didn't understand what people on this forum says but the written options must be translated by me and then hope that the person who translate Calibre, uses the same translation as I do to find options back.
Sometimes I change an option,but due to the dyslection, I just can't find it back even when I look on the page again, so with ever move I make, I make screenshots.

Your short remark means in my language:
First: open - voorkeuren
then: open - gedrag
then look in the right module.
Then: gebruik intern leesvenster voor:
Then select: kepub
Then: toepassen.

The button "verwerpen" means cancel, but the better word is : "annuleren", just an example that even when you know where to find it somewhere,the translation is totally different then I expected.

I can always swith languages i think
Old 06-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #1305
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Try installing these plugin updates. They support the Glo HD custom device CSS, and they also add a "Disable Hyphenation" option to both conversion settings and driver settings. What this will do is, when converting the book (either from the conversion dialog or in the process of sending the book to the device) a new CSS file will be added to all content files forcing hyphenation to be disabled.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KePub Output.zip (27.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: zip KoboTouchExtended.zip (29.6 KB, 142 views)

Tags
error, kobo aura one