Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #106
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
I've read and reviewed 28 Indie books in the last few months and rated all of them either 4 or 5 stars. All my reviews are honest. I'm discerning with what I read, checking out a sizeable sample before I decide to purchase. If I read a sample I don't like, I don't review it, but simply move on. If that makes me a less than credible reviewer, I should probably just stop reviewing...
If I see a reviewer with a profile like yours (all 4 and 5 stars-- and there are many like that on smashwords), I don't discount their reviews out of hand. It's the glowing "this is the best book ever" all 5 star reviews that I ignore. I do pay more attention to reviews that give specifics about books though, versus just "I loved it, what a great book!"
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #107
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
As a reader or film-goer, I consider a review 'good' if I can tell enough about the book or movie to get an idea whether I would like it or not, independent of whether the reviewer liked it. A clear understanding of the work's nature is what I look for.

Different people like different things - I trust a reviewer if his/her work is honest and clear. Stars aren't as important to me as an honest assessment.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #108
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Alvico, the point of my statement was coming from a professional reviewers standpoint and was generally pointed at people who actually want their reviews to carry a lot of weight with them. If your reviews have a lot of detail with them, like khalleron pointed out, then that will easily outweight the lack of harsher reviews, as it still provides a beneficial service to prospective readers.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #109
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
I've read and reviewed 28 Indie books in the last few months and rated all of them either 4 or 5 stars. All my reviews are honest. I'm discerning with what I read, checking out a sizeable sample before I decide to purchase. If I read a sample I don't like, I don't review it, but simply move on. If that makes me a less than credible reviewer, I should probably just stop reviewing...
I would suggest that you take this statement, refine it a bit to make it shorter and possibly more clear, and use it as a signature block at the end of your reviews, or maybe there's a place to put it in your reviewer profile. In any case, the idea is to make your policy clear to other reviewers, and then they won't be put off by any lack of unfavorable reviews.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #110
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Many reviewers have a similar policy as Alvico. It's my current policy because I don't have time to read through stuff I don't like. When I reviewed for a review site (bookspotcentral) I had to review anything I requested as well as some things sent. One of the main reasons I stopped was because Lord, there is not enough time in the day to read something I don't enjoy. That's not to say the things I read were bad, but sometimes they were just not my thing. I gave 2 through 10 stars at that time, but I"ll never do that again. Too many good books waiting.

Maria
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #111
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Many reviewers have a similar policy as Alvico. It's my current policy because I don't have time to read through stuff I don't like. ... Too many good books waiting.
Maria
Yes, this. I try to give a lot of detailed feedback in my reviews so that they are valuable to potential readers, but I just don't want to spend my *unpaid* time reading stuff I don't enjoy.

(another) Maria
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #112
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
New review is up! Non-fiction this time. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #113
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
As a reader or film-goer, I consider a review 'good' if I can tell enough about the book or movie to get an idea whether I would like it or not, independent of whether the reviewer liked it. A clear understanding of the work's nature is what I look for.

Different people like different things - I trust a reviewer if his/her work is honest and clear. Stars aren't as important to me as an honest assessment.
That sounds bang on. I've just written a review for a fellow Smashwords author. I felt terrible giving him 4 stars for one of his stories. It was much better written than anything I can do and he'd given me 5 for my book. In the end, though, I didn't like it enough to give it 5, although I'm certain sure other people would.

You see what a tizzy I'm in? And yet I truly believe you are right, the stars aren't important, it's whether or not you write something positive, constructive and honest. Which I hope I did.

Cheers

MTM
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #114
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
That sounds bang on. I've just written a review for a fellow Smashwords author. I felt terrible giving him 4 stars for one of his stories. It was much better written than anything I can do and he'd given me 5 for my book. In the end, though, I didn't like it enough to give it 5, although I'm certain sure other people would.

You see what a tizzy I'm in? And yet I truly believe you are right, the stars aren't important, it's whether or not you write something positive, constructive and honest. Which I hope I did.

Cheers

MTM
I am so with you there. I do give stars, but if readers look at my smashwords page and can see why I may rate a book with a certain number of stars, that helps explain me a bit. Usually as I read a book for review, books just strike me as being worth a certain number of stars. Someone else reading the same book may have the same comments, but think it's worth a different number of stars. I think I put more weight to originality and writing style than I've seen some other reviewers do. Writing style can make or break a book for me. If I find myself thinking about the writing style and what I don't like about it, or rewriting it in my head, while I'm reading the book, that's not good. I can't get into the story that way, I can only think of how I'd revise it if it were mine.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #115
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I think I put more weight to originality and writing style than I've seen some other reviewers do. Writing style can make or break a book for me.
Interesting--I'm the same way. It seems most reviews I read put the emphasis on the story itself, which is certainly an important part of any book, but the writer's style is more important to me. I love clever phrasing, rich vocabulary, and lush language. Action may pull me into the story, but words will keep me reading on.

--Maria
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #116
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Interesting... but the writer's style is more important to me. I love clever phrasing, rich vocabulary, and lush language. Action may pull me into the story, but words will keep me reading on.
I agree with that too, the book I was writing about was written with a real eye for words, how some are funny together, for no particular reason. How there is a texture to the way they are put together which is an important part of writing... well.. to me anyway!

Cheers

MTM
Old 10-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #117
meromana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
I agree with that too, the book I was writing about was written with a real eye for words, how some are funny together, for no particular reason. How there is a texture to the way they are put together which is an important part of writing... well.. to me anyway!
Wow, we're geeking out now. I thought I was the only one. I get such a kick out of it when writers use clever little puns or alliteration or other types of word play that, to me, add a whole other dimension to the writing. Then it's not just a story anymore.

--Maria
Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #118
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hi everyone. New review is up. A cozy from Brian Kavanagh. Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #119
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Interesting--I'm the same way. It seems most reviews I read put the emphasis on the story itself, which is certainly an important part of any book, but the writer's style is more important to me. I love clever phrasing, rich vocabulary, and lush language. Action may pull me into the story, but words will keep me reading on.

--Maria
Yes, it's the words that make me wish the story would never end. The action can only take me so far. I somehow think it's also easier for someone who has beautiful prose and mediocre storylines to improve than someone with great storylines whose writing reminds me of the essays my 4th graders used to write.

But it really does take both, and when both writing and plot are outstanding, it gives us a little taste of reader heaven.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #120
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Silly question. Does anyone know of any reviewers who would consider doing a review of a mixed genre short story anthology? I'm looking for a review of my Dreamland Articles novels.
Closed Thread