Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #106
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
OK, if someone is interested, there were errors in the file system and the config file was damaged. A disk scan fixed the problem.
Ah, ok.
I have no much free time these days, sorry.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #107
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
no worries, Iņigo, I should of figured out that faster.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #108
Loo
Loo began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR 800
Hello all,
A bit of history. Probably I'm a bit conservative, but I hadn't upgraded original software a while. I mostly read fb2 books and although there were minor issues with FBReader, it actually worked quite well.
Some time ago I've installed RC2 and since that FBReader started to hang periodically. File system checks had shown damages in file system.
There could be many reasons for that, so I decided to make a test. I've downgraded back to original firmware and the problem gone.

It seems FBReader isn't stable with upgraded firmware. Do you guys have any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Last edited by Loo; 10-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #109
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo View Post
Hello all,
A bit of history. Probably I'm a bit conservative, but I hadn't upgraded original software a while. I mostly read fb2 books and although there were minor issues with FBReader, it actually worked quite well.
Some time ago I've installed RC2 and since that FBReader started to hang periodically. File system checks had shown damages in file system.
There could be many reasons for that, so I decided to make a test. I've downgraded back to original firmware and the problem gone.

It seems FBReader isn't stable with upgraded firmware. Do you guys have any ideas on that?

Thanks,
Hi Loo,

I'm using 2.0RC3 with y last compilation of FBReader with no problems. Never happened.

Maybe you could try to reformat your SD card and copy the files again.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #110
catharsis
Addict

I don't know if these are problems related to FBReader or to DR800, in general, but I usually read epubs using FBReader (sometimes with StarDict open) and sometimes the device freezes (display freezes, button press has no effect, including trying to get to sleep mode) while I'm reading and I have to reset it. After some resets FBReader status gets stuck (meaning that it opens the same book and settings every time, even if I open other books or change some settings). This is fixed by scanning and repairing errors on memory card, but last time that happened, there were no errors in config.changes file or the xml files in _config/_FBReader, but there were some errors in \Digital Editions\Thumbnail\Books\ folder (first allocation unit is not valid). Checking content of FILE000x.CHK revealed some PNG content, but also some part of System\dr.ini file. Any ideas why the device freezes and does it have any connection with FBReader?
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #111
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Quote:
sometimes the device freezes
Well, I have the same behavior on my DR800S. I suspect two things: 1) memory leak errors in FBReader and 2) clashing / deadlocking threads. I tend to the option 2) because sometimes the freeze comes in 2 minutes after reset, and sometimes in 3 days.

My suspect is the full refresh trigger coming from a) clock refresh (little clock in the lower right corner of FBreader page) and b) page turn made with a flip bar. If you are [un]lucky enough the page turn may come exactly on a full minute during the refresh initiated by the clock.

Solution: code cleanup in the full refresh method (don't remember the library name / source file name, but Mackx or Inigo pointed to this code once). Introducing a global barrier hopefully will fix this.

Anybody has a "freezing" experience with other applications, not FBReader? Or maybe FBReader without the clock in the lower right corner?

Last edited by dima_tr; 11-01-2010 at 12:57 PM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #112
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Solution: code cleanup in the full refresh method (don't remember the library name / source file name, but Mackx or Inigo pointed to this code once). Introducing a global barrier hopefully will fix this.
I am not sure if the full-refresh is also causing problems with FBReader. I know that I have problems with full-refresh combined with scribbles in Xournal, but in FBReader I have not seen this problem. FBReader does not use any special stuff to update the screen so I do/did not expect any problem.
Is it only when reading epub or also with other formats?
Do DR1000 users also see this problem?
Which version of the FBReader-DR-port are you using?
At this moment I have a big pile of pdf-magazines that I am reading, so I have not used FBReader for some time. (Although I used it a lot several weeks ago.) I have a DR1000 and am using my own port of FBReader so there will be differences.
Maybe someone can try the DR1000 version (although it should be quite simular to the DR800 port). Rename your exsisting _fbreader folder and follow the instructions in message #86 and #89 in this thread. Iņigo made some changes that make it easier to use on the DR800, but the DR1000 version should also run on the DR800.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #113
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Mackx, I use your version compiled for DR800. I've experienced freeze with both Iņigo version as well as this one (fewer with your version).

I'm reading fb2 and rtf, no epub.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #114
catharsis
Addict

I can't remember which version of FBReader I have, but the binary is created on 24.07.2010 at 19.54 and has 1.566.819 bytes. dima_tr may be on to something with page refreshes. I don't remember having freezes outside FBReader.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #115
dima_tr
Groupie

@catharsis: have you activated the clock in FBReader (lower right corner)?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #116
catharsis
Addict

Yes, clock is activated. Furthermore, clock is also activated by the DR800+ firmware, but usually FBReader is fullscreen.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #117
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Do the crashes only happen in full-screen mode?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #118
catharsis
Addict

well, I read in full-screen mode using FBReader, so most of the time it's in full-screen mode, but the answer is yes.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #119
dima_tr
Groupie

Most of the time I'm reading not in full screen. So this detail seems to be irrelevant.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #120
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
My FBReader (DR1000) shows the clock too incl. the TOC-bar old style and the page informations (e.g. 132/1032), no full-screen. No freezes until now.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800s, fbreader