Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #106
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
To be honest, I have SD slots in 3 of my current laptops and I rarely use them. When I do, it's for "sneakernet" type activities. So I won't miss a SD slot on the iPad. Would it be nice? Sure. But if it gets as much use as the slots on my notebooks and netbooks it will be filled with dust more often than a SD card.
I am very much the opposite. I use the SD slots on my many devices to add/remove/manage content, as well as for additional storage. I worry more about wearing out the slots from overuse than I do about dust build up!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #107
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
To be honest, I have SD slots in 3 of my current laptops and I rarely use them. When I do, it's for "sneakernet" type activities. So I won't miss a SD slot on the iPad. Would it be nice? Sure. But if it gets as much use as the slots on my notebooks and netbooks it will be filled with dust more often than a SD card.
When you consider the kind of less tech-savvy market that Apple are presumably targeting, it is worth noting that one of the top selling electronics items for the last few years has been those digital picture frame. Now personally I wouldn't want a card reader, but given those sales it does seem likely that quite a lot of people would want and use one.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #108
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
if you want a digital picture frame, why not buy one? they are $50 vs. the $500+ for the ipad!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #109
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
You have to think, Apple's not stupid, and this iPad has been in design for some time now. If Apple wanted a SD slot in there, it would be there. So they obviously felt it wasn't worth the time, money, or fit into their plans to include one in this version.
It's not in there as it would hurt sales of the more expensive models with higher memory.

Why pay more for a 32GB or 64GB model when you can just get the 16GB and expand the memory with cheap SD cards rather than paying $100-200 more for on board memory?
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #110
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
A portable device, to me, is a device that I carry with me on vacation (among other things). But I am also one who doesn't carry with himself half a dozen devices: if I can carry the ONE thing to do them all (think Lord of the Rings) then I carry it.
Sounds like you're talking Highlander more. "There can be only one".

But that's really not the case. If you get an ipad, it doesn't mean you have to throw your TV, Ereader, Netbooks, PC, MP3player, Fridge, etc away.

You just use the right tool for the right task. Sure, a swiss army knife can be used for a lot of things, but I rather take a real saw to cut some branches.

If you think your multitool is better for you, then get it, but that doesn't mean that that dedicated tool is bad it what it does.

Or did you buy that Hanlin because it's so great at image editing or mailing?

Last edited by athlonkmf; 02-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #111
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It's not in there as it would hurt sales of the more expensive models with higher memory.

Why pay more for a 32GB or 64GB model when you can just get the 16GB and expand the memory with cheap SD cards rather than paying $100-200 more for on board memory?
You nailed it on the head! And the iPod Touch is no different. Definitely a calculated financial decision.

Last edited by SCION; 02-11-2010 at 01:09 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #112
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:

Maybe, maybe not..... The 64gig iPad is set to sell for $699. a 32gig SD card at newegg is $80-100. A 16gig is $35-50. So we split the difference on price to get a pretty good SD card..... And let's say the iPad had 2 sd card slots (absurd as there is no rational reason to have 2) so you could get to 64 gig total (32 gig is largest common sd card at this point)

16 gig iPad $499
32 gig sd $90
16 gig sd $40

So I would "save" about $70.... but of course SD is not as fast as the memory in the iPad, and would be a PITA to deal with.

For me even if they put 2 sd slots, I would still want the 64 gig model. Of course even if they did have sd they would not have two slots.... so at this time there would be no real way to even get to 64 gig....

Okay, I'm bored and just wanted to mess around
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #113
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are big sales on SD cards pretty regularly though, that come in below those current New Egg prices.

And I'd personally always go for the smaller model with SD personally as then you get the ability to expand memory however you want, have multiple SD cards loaded with different content if needed etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Sounds like you're talking Highlander more. "There can be only one".

But that's really not the case. If you get an ipad, it doesn't mean you have to throw your TV, Ereader, Netbooks, PC, MP3player, Fridge, etc away.
That's true, but the goal is to minimize how many gadgets you need to take with you when traveling. Especially in this day and age with ridiculous fees for checked bags etc.

So I'd like a tablet that was functional enough to allow me to just take it and leave my laptop, Kindle, MP3 player, Nintendo DS etc. at home.

Though I'm not sure what the argument is as I think the iPad--even though I don't plan on buying one at launch--would do that for me for most trips. Other than some work trips where I need the laptop to do work.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #114
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Maybe, maybe not..... The 64gig iPad is set to sell for $699. a 32gig SD card at newegg is $80-100. A 16gig is $35-50. So we split the difference on price to get a pretty good SD card..... And let's say the iPad had 2 sd card slots (absurd as there is no rational reason to have 2) so you could get to 64 gig total (32 gig is largest common sd card at this point)

16 gig iPad $499
32 gig sd $90
16 gig sd $40

So I would "save" about $70.... but of course SD is not as fast as the memory in the iPad, and would be a PITA to deal with.

For me even if they put 2 sd slots, I would still want the 64 gig model. Of course even if they did have sd they would not have two slots.... so at this time there would be no real way to even get to 64 gig....

Okay, I'm bored and just wanted to mess around
Valid logic

The issue for me is being compelled to buy the 32GB or 64GB simply because 16GB may not be enough at some point in time. If I buy the 16GB I'm forever locked in, which is fine for something like your Sony 300, but having the SD slot at that price point is kind of expected, just not from Apple.

* I generally buy 4GB SD cards because they're so cheap, even the SDHC ones.

Last edited by SCION; 02-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #115
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's true, but the goal is to minimize how many gadgets you need to take with you when traveling. Especially in this day and age with ridiculous fees for checked bags etc.

and that's why i won't take an ipad with me on a trip if I could only take one. Instead, i'd take my tablet-netbook T91.

But.... if I can take 2, i'd have a hard time deciding wether I'd get my sony reader, or an ipad... Probably depends on the roughness of the trip
Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #116
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
IWhy pay more for a 32GB or 64GB model when you can just get the 16GB and expand the memory with cheap SD cards rather than paying $100-200 more for on board memory?
Silly question. Why is Apple going to give up the $100-200 more for on-board memory when they aren't going to see a dime out of your SD card purchases?

There are also several technical reasons for restricting SD card access. Customer support ("My SD card broke off inside and I can't get it out." "I jammed a CF card in and I can't get it out." etc.). It provides another avenue for hackers/jailbreakers/rogues/scoundrels to gain access Apple doesn't want them to have. The early versions of the OS did not have provisions for accessing a SD device, Apple would need to write drivers (which they obviously are in the process of doing for the iPad release).

Another good reason, include it in iPad 2.0 and re-sell them to everyone who bought v1.0.

Also, as soon as they add them to the iPad everyone with a Touch/iPhone will be screaming bloody murder for a MicroSD slot (standard on most phones these days) and they don't want to go that route either, yet, if ever.

Look how long it took them to add a SD slot to their notebooks! They had those .54 slots that never caught on.

Apple has lots of reasons to keep SD off. Just because consumers want them, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #117
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Silly question. Why is Apple going to give up the $100-200 more for on-board memory when they aren't going to see a dime out of your SD card purchases?

There are also several technical reasons for restricting SD card access. Customer support ("My SD card broke off inside and I can't get it out." "I jammed a CF card in and I can't get it out." etc.). It provides another avenue for hackers/jailbreakers/rogues/scoundrels to gain access Apple doesn't want them to have. The early versions of the OS did not have provisions for accessing a SD device, Apple would need to write drivers (which they obviously are in the process of doing for the iPad release).

Another good reason, include it in iPad 2.0 and re-sell them to everyone who bought v1.0.

Also, as soon as they add them to the iPad everyone with a Touch/iPhone will be screaming bloody murder for a MicroSD slot (standard on most phones these days) and they don't want to go that route either, yet, if ever.

Look how long it took them to add a SD slot to their notebooks! They had those .54 slots that never caught on.

Apple has lots of reasons to keep SD off. Just because consumers want them, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.
I think the most probable reason would, because the iPhone OS has no visible filemanagement possibility.

Also... now it can support SD and SDHC card, what if SDXC comes out?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #118
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
I think the most probable reason would, because the iPhone OS has no visible filemanagement possibility.

Also... now it can support SD and SDHC card, what if SDXC comes out?
no. but the ipad will be able to move photos in/out of the Photos app to/from the SD card. developers are also going to be allowed to move data to/from the card to protected folders.

so you won't be able to do file management in the typical sense, but specific applications will be able to access the card.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #119
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
and that's why i won't take an ipad with me on a trip if I could only take one. Instead, i'd take my tablet-netbook T91.

But.... if I can take 2, i'd have a hard time deciding wether I'd get my sony reader, or an ipad... Probably depends on the roughness of the trip
Yeah I've never bought a netbook as they're so underpowered--choke on streaming video etc.

I just have a Lenova Thinkpad T-400 which is a great laptop, but it's pretty heavy to lug around.

So if I was going on a trip where I wasn't going to need to type up stuff, analyze data and do other work stuff, I'd probably opt for the iPad as it would be fine for the netsurfing and e-mail stuff I'd need to do PC wise, as well as cover my music, video, and reading needs.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #120
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
no. but the ipad will be able to move photos in/out of the Photos app to/from the SD card. developers are also going to be allowed to move data to/from the card to protected folders.

so you won't be able to do file management in the typical sense, but specific applications will be able to access the card.
That is all the more reason why it really needs a built-in SD card reader. You can move any content to/from the device via the SD card, no need to mess with itunes or any "folder restrictions" at all. Just pop the card into your computer, copy/paste whatever, and pop it back in the tablet. Super simple, super fast, no restrictions, no dependencies on any specialized software. Plus you get additional storage too!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote