Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And then the silliness will leak into the Salon, and there'll be yet one more place to be silly.

Dandy idea.
If the moderators moderate the Salon, they can prevent it from getting out of hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #107
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
And then the silliness will leak into the Salon, and there'll be yet one more place to be silly.

Dandy idea.
No, I think that there is a need for a forum where silliness doesn't leak into so that those with serious intent can escape the escapism of the Lounge. So, silliness will be met with a very stiff upper lip and asked to go elsewhere.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #108
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I actually don't care for "Salon" as it has a similar connotation to "Lounge" -- more of a gathering place for banter than an area used to discuss ebook or non-banter type threads.

So I propose that within the Miscellaneous Forum we have a Miscellaneous Sub-Forum (or maybe we could call it the General Sub-Forum). The main point being that I'd just like to see a place to post non-banter related items that aren't covered by one of the other forums.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #109
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... I think leave the Lounge as it is and move all the non-silly threads out of it into another forum section. ....Nobody has yet given us a good reason why this cannot or should not be done.
I don't know if I'd necessarily want a non-silly thread I started moved out of the Lounge.

So you could end up with non-silly threads in both fora - but would that be a problem?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #110
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I like "Salon" because it ties in with the Salon Movement. A group of like minded individuals gathering to discuss theissues of importance to them all.

Non-silly thread in the Lounge would probably stay where they started. We are not trying to make a schism here, but just add options, which is always a good thing, from my pov.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #111
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
We are not trying to make a schism here, but just add options, which is always a good thing, from my pov.
Oh yes, no-one's being keleusmatical about it - that's understood.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #112
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Mods would have to be more active, and may need a new graphic emoticon.

Name:  Lets_keep_serious.jpeg
Views: 390
Size:  2.8 KB

But I'm still not convinced we need a new section. I'm willing to hear more serious debate on the issue though. Without strict moderation, silliness will find it's way to any thread, IMHO.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #113
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Mods would have to be more active, and may need a new graphic emoticon.

Attachment 26315

But I'm still not convinced we need a new section. I'm willing to hear more serious debate on the issue though. Without strict moderation, silliness will find it's way to any thread, IMHO.

WDE.
A stray off topic post here and there can be tolerated, what canNOT be tolerated is what happened in this topic starting with post number 26. To be more specific, post number 30 through post number 48.
Very typical and annoying. Usually the same posters are involved.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #114
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
No, I think that there is a need for a forum where silliness doesn't leak into so that those with serious intent can escape the escapism of the Lounge. So, silliness will be met with a very stiff upper lip and asked to go elsewhere.
I hear you, but you have to admit that posts, no matter where they originate, have a life all their own. Every thread, no matter how serious it may start, has the potential for extreme silliness.

I'll tell you what might work ... and it's what they do over at the Renderosity Forums ... the members are able to select what forums they do or do not see posts from.

That way, people (such as myself) who have a hard time not being silly, could simply never see the "Salon" ... or whatever you call it .... and wouldn't be likely to post anything even remotely silly in it.

Come to think of it, the only forums (fora ... whatever) I ever really should be reading are the Kindle and Lounge and perhaps News/Commentary. I think a completely serious spot, no humor allowed at all, would probably interest some people, such as Wolfie, but me ... not so much, so much better that I just never get bothered sorting through those posts. And, someone like Wolfie could completely opt out of the Lounge.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #115
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I think either Sparrow's "Keep it Sensible" (my fav so far), or pshrynk's "Salon" would work. I don't think it's inevitable that silliness will seep in to every thread, especially when it's clear that it's not meant to me. Someone may make a comment that gets a chuckle now and then, but not to the point of being totally derailed. (Just my nickel's worth.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #116
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

I disagree, but you all are welcome to try anything you want. If it works, it works, if it doesn't then it doesn't.

I still think an opt in/out system makes a lot more sense, is easier to maintain, and less likely to break down.

Although, I may have found a way to do my own opt in/out system, in which case, for me it won't matter so much.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #117
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
I disagree, but you all are welcome to try anything you want. If it works, it works, if it doesn't then it doesn't.

I still think an opt in/out system makes a lot more sense, is easier to maintain, and less likely to break down.

Although, I may have found a way to do my own opt in/out system, in which case, for me it won't matter so much.
Maybe, but . . .

I don’t know anything about programming codes, and I certainly wouldn’t assume that what Alexander does is easy (although mostly anything is easy once you know how) but how difficult could it be, and what harm would it do to add a 7th sub-forum to the MISCELLANEOUS category to address the desire to keep a topic’s tone sincere and sensible? Obviously enough people think it’s important, or at least worthwhile.

I don’t believe it’s a matter either of those who wish to engage in serious discussion versus the silly-minded posters being mutually exclusive. It’s just that “sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t” and it would be nice if simply having a new sub-category could make the road to take a little easier to find without a GPS system.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #118
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Maybe, but . . .

I don’t know anything about programming codes, and I certainly wouldn’t assume that what Alexander does is easy (although mostly anything is easy once you know how) but how difficult could it be, and what harm would it do to add a 7th sub-forum to the MISCELLANEOUS category to address the desire to keep a topic’s tone sincere and sensible? Obviously enough people think it’s important, or at least worthwhile.

I don’t believe it’s a matter either of those who wish to engage in serious discussion versus the silly-minded posters being mutually exclusive. It’s just that “sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t” and it would be nice if simply having a new sub-category could make the road to take a little easier to find without a GPS system.
Yes, having an option is always nice. That's why an opt in/out system works so well.

The alternative is someone deciding what sort and amount of humor will be allowed in any forum and removing the offending post or warning the poster that no humor is tolerated in [name your serious posts only forum here].

I happen to prefer public fora that do not impose censorship, except as may be necessary considering the age/sensibility of the audience.

Opt in/out forums are wonderful creations in that they allow the user the option of only viewing those posts from the fora in which they participate. I, speaking for myself, would prefer not to be bothered by posts from a forum where I am not free to say what I think because someone out there decided that I was being too humorous. My guess is that the first time I saw one of those "keep it serious" banners, I would just pack my bags and leave MR altogether.

I happen to see MR generally as a "social" place. Lots of people discussing lots of things .... but no one being too anal about the exact place or content of the discussion. Take, for example, the post in "Reading Recommendations" about escapism. It has nothing to do with reading recommendations, does that mean it should be moved, removed, or have banners throughout telling people that they should only be discussing reading recommendations in that particular forum?? I don't happen to think so ... but then I'm probably in the minority.

What it comes down to is ..... you all can decide to self-censor or have a form of censorship imposed on you. I would simply hope that there would be a way for those of us who don't care for censored fora to be able to opt out of those fora .... you know .... it's all about having options.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #119
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

And, no .... it's not that difficult to do. It's just something that gets added to user preferences.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #120
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If there were 2 subforums, Silliness and standard lounge, it would really be easy peasy lemon squeezy.
People who like silliness would post in Silliness sub forum. The other subforum would be a subject to standard rules that apply to the rest of the forum in regard of hijacking and off-topic issues.
I like this suggestion. And I don't care what either of the forums is called. But for now :In the silliness forum anything would be allowed and people could have private conversations, meet up with friends, slow chatting etc.

I don't know if it's technically possible, but the possibility of filtering out the fora which I don't visit would also be nice, just for ease of navigating.

And lastly, I don't think any amount of moderating can replace basic respect for others and their opinions, you either have it or you don't, but from the way I've seen this thread going since it was reopened, this shouldn't be a problem .

Last edited by Marysart; 03-24-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote