Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 AM   #106
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertie View Post
But it does mean you can,t use it, if the app has been removed. I backed up my ipad as I was having a replacement. When I restored my content to my new ipad the Marvin icon was there but when I clicked on it it said it wasn't available in the App Store anymore. I still have workable Marvin on my iphone
but that's only for reading emergencies. I now have a Marvin.m3 backup file which doesn't appear to be opened by anything but Marvin.

I am looking at Kybook 3 as a replacement but would dearly love to be able to get my stuff from Marvin onto there, or even Calibre.
1) Welcome to MR!!

B) Check out the rest of the discussion in this thread - specifically on the previous page (Page 6) where I discuss how to copy your current Marvin install from one device to another - for free!

Third) TGIF - have a great weekend!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #107
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Didn't you mention you had purchased every version of some reader apps to show your appreciation and to support the creator???
I also mentioned it was a couple of bucks (not dozens of dollars), more in the nature of a tip than a purchase price. In contrast, $60 is a substantial investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
From reading past posts, it was stated that the community on mobile read discouraged the Marvin developer.
That's utter hogwash, of course, repeated by a few individuals. Without distorting reality, one would have to add, in the same breath, that the MobileRead community greatly encouraged the Marvin developer and provided him with hundreds of hours of unpaid beta-testing work. I repeat, work.

Anyway, let bygones be bygones and let's focus on the future.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Marvin is moved from one iOS device to another, would it still be registered? If not, could it be registered?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #109
SyntheticXsin
SyntheticXsin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Currently the best ebook app available is MapleRead, but not for free.

Thanks. I downloaded the free version of MapleRead just to try it out. Does this let me automagically sync Calibre Content Server to download/read with? Cuz for the life of me I can’t figure out how to make that happen with the free app. (Is it something only available in the paid version?)

Skillachie, I would’ve gone with book fusion except the subscription setup irked me. I’m hoping that MapleRead is a one time purchase as opposed to the subscription setup, but I wanted to know that it worked before plopping down money.
SyntheticXsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 PM   #110
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Marvin is moved from one iOS device to another, would it still be registered? If not, could it be registered?
As of right now - no. You have full functionality, but you have to deal with the banner at the bottom. I'm researching how to fix that...any help would be appreciated!
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 08:14 PM   #111
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I also mentioned it was a couple of bucks (not dozens of dollars), more in the nature of a tip than a purchase price. In contrast, $60 is a substantial investment.
OK - good thing you don't have to - it's free!
Old 06-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #112
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertie View Post
I now have a Marvin.m3 backup file which doesn't appear to be opened by anything but Marvin.
For what it's worth, the Marvin.m3backup file is just a plain old zip file. While there's no way to import the backup itself to other apps, the format is relatively accessible.

On PC, you can just extract and you have easy access to your EPUB files.

There's a database which stores annotations, etc. in SQLite format similar to Calibre.

I use this program to browse the database when I need to check some annotations.

https://portableapps.com/apps/develo...owser_portable
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:37 PM   #113
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
As of right now - no. You have full functionality, but you have to deal with the banner at the bottom. I'm researching how to fix that...any help would be appreciated!
If you click on the banner, does restore purchase no longer work?

FWIW, I bought both Marvin3 and MarvinSxS. The SxS was a full version from the start and doesn't have any banners. Alas, it's too late to buy it now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #114
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

It can't verify you purchased the app because the app isn't in their database - or something. I hadn't thought about SxS. I'll have to find which device I had that on.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #115
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK - good thing you don't have to - it's free!
Honestly, once I upgrade one of my three iPads, I won't bother with Marvin anymore. A dead app is a dead app. Yeah, even today, in 2023, it still displays e-books the nicest out of all iOS e-reader apps I'm aware of, but, for example, the lack of annotations syncing is a huge stumbling block for anyone using Marvin on more than a single device who also makes notes while reading books. This was a glaring gap in Marvin's functionality even 10 years ago, but now, when the app can no longer even be installed normally (all blame for that must go to Apple and its despotism, of course) – well, I guess it's time to say goodbye.

So, if I ever purchase another iPad, I'll try BookFusion as my e-reader app. I agree with Jon that hyphenation is a must. But at least with BookFusion, there is realistic hope that such missing features will be added in the foreseeable future.

(I would also gladly give MapleRead a try as my main e-reader, but because there appears to be no hope for a MapleRead on Android and on the web, I'll have to skip it. Just as I need to skip KOReader because there appears to be no hope it will one day be available on the iPad.)
Old 06-04-2023, 01:34 PM   #116
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticXsin View Post
Thanks. I downloaded the free version of MapleRead just to try it out. Does this let me automagically sync Calibre Content Server to download/read with? Cuz for the life of me I can’t figure out how to make that happen with the free app. (Is it something only available in the paid version?)
I just checked MapleRead SE and OPDS (Calibre content server) and it works like a charm.
But I don't know what you mean with automatically?
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #117
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I don't remember.
Banner at the library or at reading ebook? Extra themes/colours also gone?
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:14 AM   #118
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Banner while reading. It takes about 2-3 lines of reading real estate at the bottom. The only themes I’ve bothered with are day & night. Special papyrus background or something similar is cool for a few minutes and then meh… so I haven’t worried about checking that stuff. I would assume that it, also, can’t be verified so you wouldn’t get them.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:28 PM   #119
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Banner while reading.
Yuck! The app might as well be dead, then.

Quote:
Special papyrus background or something similar is cool for a few minutes and then meh…
Not "meh" in the least. Textured backgrounds are essential (for me) for a great reading experience. (Except on e-ink devices.)

This is where Moon+ Reader Pro demolishes all competition, across all platforms. Its treatment of themes is pretty much perfect, and BookFusion, MapleRead and other Marvin would-be successors would do well to emulate Moon Reader in this regard as much as possible.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:18 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While Moon+ may do textured backgrounds, it doesn't do CSS well enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote