Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #106
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
em could also be upper case if some situations.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
em could also be upper case if some situations.
As I've previously mentioned, I saw one example where <em> underlined the text.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #108
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

If it exists in Unicode, Android, billions of people, I'm for it. Who's with me‽

PS. A few months back I actually searched the "middle finger" character on the entire MobileRead... I was the only one who ever used one. So just because a character's "never been seen", doesn't mean it shouldn't be used!
Oh, horse pucky. NOBODY will use the Interrobang, if it's not properly in place with fonts, for print. I'm certainly not going to slap some Unicode Interrobang into a nicely-typeset document. And if it ain't in print, that matters. (And fwiw, that character is very busy and icky. I kinda, maybe, like the idea, but from my perspective, it's up there with Dothraki. )

Just b/c we're on Mobileread doesn't mean we can all pretend that the entire world is eBooks and digital fonts.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, horse pucky. NOBODY will use the Interrobang, if it's not properly in place with fonts, for print. I'm certainly not going to slap some Unicode Interrobang into a nicely-typeset document. And if it ain't in print, that matters. (And fwiw, that character is very busy and icky. I kinda, maybe, like the idea, but from my perspective, it's up there with Dothraki. )

Just b/c we're on Mobileread doesn't mean we can all pretend that the entire world is eBooks and digital fonts.

Hitch
Interrobang looks like a cockup where two characters overwrote each other. It's sloppy, ugly, and there is no need for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #110
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Interrobang looks like a cockup where two characters overwrote each other. It's sloppy, ugly, and there is no need for it.
Likewise for the ampersand.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Jon, you're missing that there is no comma in the selector. It says:

Code:
i em
that is for every <em> inside an <i>. It is not:

Code:
i, em
which seems to be what you are bashing at.
Thank you for pointing that out. I did miss that there is no comma.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #112
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL, he's got ya there, lads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
See, now, I keep stumbling over fonts that have downright lovely ampersands, or at least, they give you an optional extra foofy ampersand glyph. For me, that's like...buried treasure. It's a joy to find a lovely ampersand.

Jesus I gotta get out more. I can't believe that I just wrote that and worse, meant it.

Hitch
Old 06-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Interesting history of the ampersand. But these days, the modern ampersand looks nothing like a ligature of E & T.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #114
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
To differentiate an emphasized word within other words that are already italicized/emphasized..
Exactly.

Happens quite often in Non-Fiction when dealing with emphasized words or book titles within italics text.

If you visually turned the whole thing italics... you would lose the original, so you flip-flop. If the original had Normal text + Italics italics, you flip to Italics/Normal.

Emphasis in Poetry

Quite often poetry/lyrics are visually displayed in all italics. But what if the original had emphasis?

Original:

- Poetry, oh poetry, where are you?

Your book, where all poetry is displayed in italics:

- Poetry, oh poetry, where are you?

Emphasis in Book Titles

As one example, a famous article/book is called "The Not So Wild, Wild West". Actual italics text in the title.

What happens when you want to cite this thing?

Book Titles must be italics in most Style Guides, so you flip-flop the italic parts.

Original Title:

- The Not So Wild, Wild West

Cited:

- The Not So Wild, Wild West

HTML:

Code:
<i>The <em>Not So</em> Wild, Wild West</i>
Quote:
Oh, horse pucky. NOBODY will use the Interrobang, if it's not properly in place with fonts, for print. I'm certainly not going to slap some Unicode Interrobang into a nicely-typeset document. And if it ain't in print, that matters.
🖕 that!

Quote:
(And fwiw, that character is very busy and icky. I kinda, maybe, like the idea, but from my perspective, it's up there with Dothraki. )
Agree. With most fonts it looks awful + too dark (doesn't match grayness of surrounding text)... and it does look a little like spaghetti at low font sizes.

But there are fonts that show the !+? in a V-shape:

https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2016/0...of-characters/

Taking a look through my fonts in BabelMap, looks like these also have that variant:

- Carlito
- Lato

And many have the shorter/longer !, which looks a little less crowded.

Quote:
You know you love it! Just admit it!

Quote:
Interesting history of the ampersand. But these days, the modern ampersand looks nothing like a ligature of E & T.
Also see:

https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2011/0...d-part-1-of-2/
https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2011/0...d-part-2-of-2/
http://shadycharacters.co.uk/series/the-ampersand/

And the octothorpe (#) morphed from "lb" with a line through it. # was pretty much a dead character too, but grew in the 1960/1970s because it was shoved on telephone keypads, then usage blew into the stratosphere with Twitter.

https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2011/0...e-part-1-of-2/

Side Note: And the lb+bar is in Unicode too, ℔ (U+2114) "L B BAR SYMBOL". Now that's a rarely used character!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-22-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #115
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
In a proper font for Irish, the i has no dot, and the & looks like a cross between 7 and the continental 1 (that has no pedestal but a longer nose). It's very logical for i to have no dot in any language using í or ì. Irish scribes invented lower case as method more suited to handwriting than ROMAN LETTERING. Actual old Irish fonts are a little hard for people not familiar, but easier on the eye than the German Gothic Black Letter stuff.
The !, ? #, @, /, %, =, *, (, ) and & were on typewriters and also on Teleprinters / Telex (from late 1928 onwards). I'm not sure which punctuation the Victorian typewriters had.
Golfballs and later Daisywheels and Thimbles I think increased the characters to 96.

Printers (engraving long before Moveable Type in Europe) obviously were not limited, but in England type was imported. There was no þ, which was later transliterated as Th. So the letter Y was pressed into service. Ye Shop is really The Shop.

Changes in orthography are very slow. Old Wordstar never had extended ASCII, (96 x 2 = 192 printable) but you could embed backspaces to overprint ?! or L and - as a rubbish £ symbol.

I can't remember if teletypes had | \ ¬ ¦ ^ { } or ~. I think they did have [ ] < >

Just saying.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #116
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
There was a little speedbump there in HTML4 where they deprecated <i>+<b>, but I think they made a step back in the right direction in HTML5.
I really liked <center> tag. It was so simple...
It's still dead.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #117
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They spelled it wrong
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #118
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They spelled it wrong
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hitch
Old 06-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #119
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Fascinating history.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #120
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
In a proper font for Irish, the i has no dot, and the & looks like a cross between 7 and the continental 1 (that has no pedestal but a longer nose).
Just ran across this one a few weeks ago: "dotted b" and "dotted d". Only used in Irish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_orthography

Initially found out about it in a bug in Source Code Pro:

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/sourc...pro/issues/205

And "dotless i" and "dotted capital I" in Turkish... oh boy, does that one open up a huge can of worms. It's the source of many bugs in programs (capitalization, comparing strings, sorting, etc.):

https://haacked.com/archive/2012/07/...uld-care.aspx/

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-23-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semantic markup