Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #106
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
One of the first thing he says in the video is that they updated to the latest firmware availabe as of september 5th.
Honestly considering the source I don’t trust them with anything I can’t see them doing.

They’ve repeatedly shown a clear bias in comparison videos, they’ve either lied or ran with sketchy information that didn’t pan out in the end (the joke of a new Kobo on mother’s day spawned from them), and they’ve outright stolen content from other bloggers covering ereaders. This doesn’t even touch on the rampant piracy that their site was known for though they have cleaned that up I suspect it was for legal reasons rather than anything else.

Even the video for the Libra looks semi amateurish, the white balance is off.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #107
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Honestly considering the source I don’t trust them with anything I can’t see them doing.

They’ve repeatedly shown a clear bias in comparison videos, they’ve either lied or ran with sketchy information that didn’t pan out in the end (the joke of a new Kobo on mother’s day spawned from them), and they’ve outright stolen content from other bloggers covering ereaders. This doesn’t even touch on the rampant piracy that their site was known for though they have cleaned that up I suspect it was for legal reasons rather than anything else.

Even the video for the Libra looks semi amateurish, the white balance is off.

I don't know. I stopped following them a while ago.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #108
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
One of the first thing he says in the video is that they updated to the latest firmware availabe as of september 5th.
He said something like that, but, it definitely didn't take. Or his device wasn't included in the list that allowed updates. My comment was based on what is in the review in the first posts, plus what I have seen, and can only now mention, in the beta versions. From memory, the version with the menu and scrubber combination that is in the review, is one of the earlier in the beta stream. It is probably a build specifically built to be the factory firmware for the Libra H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #109
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Looks like it is the same physical size as the Oasis, correct?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #110
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I gather that David was trolling us when he pointed out the remove footer/header options are removed, but I still do not see from the reviews how the ability to go full screen is implemented. Regardless, as far as I know, the old full screen we used to enable in the ini doesn't work anymore, and that was the one that needed these workarounds.. (In other words, yes, this is deprecated.)
Who me? I won't deny that when the show header and footer options were removed in the beta that one of my first thoughts was what the reaction would be if that was leaked here I know I did "WHAT???" then when and looked.

The change is that the header/footer display has been merged with the progress display. There are options for "Chapter progress" and "Book progress". These have "Page number", "Percent read", "Time remaining" and "Off". Then there is an extra option to show the progress bar at the bottom.
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #111
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
imho it looks more grey than usual/some older models, but hey each to their own of course.
Without a competently-produced side by side direct comparison, you have no idea.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 AM   #112
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Without a competently-produced side by side direct comparison, you have no idea.
You know you’re debating with a brick wall right?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 AM   #113
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
the background looks white on the picture on the front of the box, the device on the other hand well let's just say what can't speak can't lie.

best wishes koboy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Libra  JPG.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	173330  
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #114
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
the background looks white on the picture on the front of the box, the device on the other hand well let's just say what can't speak can't lie.

best wishes koboy
It's unlikely to look that gray irl. If I took a quick phone snap of an ereader in a white context it would likely look quite similar due to auto-white balance, possibly even on a good camera without manual adjustments.

Of course it is gray, but almost certainly in an off-white sense, not in a gray sense.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #115
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's unlikely to look that gray irl. If I took a quick phone snap of an ereader in a white context it would likely look quite similar due to auto-white balance, possibly even on a good camera without manual adjustments.

Of course it is gray, but almost certainly in an off-white sense, not in a gray sense.
hopefully my local shop/store will have a model on display although that's not guaranteed these days. if they do i will be able to tell much better via the hands on experience.

obviously other opinions are available and people can/will form their own.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #116
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The screen won't look gray if you use the LEDs.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #117
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
<....> -ed.

As for the rest of it, there's only one company in the world making those e-ink panels... not much to conspire about. If that looks grey, it will be the same grey that all E-Ink Carta screens share, across all brands.
Here's the side-by-side review of the black and white Kindles to see what the optical illusion is all about.

EDIT: New video preview (in French), again of the white model, here. Looks like the reviewer is using the large print mode, in case people wonder why everything looks so big.

Last edited by issybird; 09-09-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Guideline violation
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #118
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The change is that the header/footer display has been merged with the progress display. There are options for "Chapter progress" and "Book progress". These have "Page number", "Percent read", "Time remaining" and "Off". Then there is an extra option to show the progress bar at the bottom.
Does this mean that the bar graph has been removed?
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #119
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
The in-book stats are still there for kepubs.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #120
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
It looks that way, although I really hope it still exists in some form. The reviewers are using kepubs, so that makes doubt any chance of it still being there ... davidfor?

Edit: I just posted at the same second as davidfor. David, are you able to say if it is still the same stats panel, just opened from a different place?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote