Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #106
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
IliadOS on CF

Just an idea after ericshliao's experiments: why not develop an IliadOs on bootable CF? If that boots approximately as fast as a stock Iliad it would enable us to leave the original software alone... This would make it less scary to upgrade and more people would join in...

What do you think?
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #107
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Just an idea after ericshliao's experiments: why not develop an IliadOs on bootable CF? If that boots approximately as fast as a stock Iliad it would enable us to leave the original software alone... This would make it less scary to upgrade and more people would join in...

What do you think?
Booting from CF is simple enough. You can take the current version of the iLiadOS and run it from a CF card.

However, this isn't easy for "Joe User". You have to be able to format the card with an ext2/3 file system, and copy the files and file structure from the reflash image to the card. It's not a simple process, and the card is basically unusable for anything but the operating system (unless you mess with file paths and mount points).

Reflashing the normal way should be a "safe" process. I think the issue with my dead iLiad is unrelated.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #108
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Could we make a utility to reformat the card and copy the files and file structure? The iLiad supports several forms of storage, so even if this would tie up the CF slot, there are still ways to use the iLiad in this state, and it would be easier to try it out to test. Sort of like the linux live CDs.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #109
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
That's a really good point. The OS can easily be distributed (and should be) in both forms: one to be run from CF, the other a direct install. Both forms would be substantially the same, it wouldn't be hard at all.

Adam makes a good point, running from CF would actually take more technical skill than running a simple installer program.

Hmm... here's a thought. Currently, (if I understand correctly), the idea is to have a simple program that users would run on their iLiad. This program would attempt to connect to the iLiadOS server and download the most current version to /mnt/protected, at which point the iLiad performs a standard OS upgrade. After that, iLiadOS would handle its own upgrades using a similar technique.

Why not have a second program that looks for a CF card, prompts the user for confirmation, formats the card to ext2/3, then downloads iLiadOS from the server and installs it on the card? I think that this would be a fairly easy script to write, and it would be just as easy for "Joe User" as the regular install.

This would basically be analogous to Ubuntu offering options to either install on the computer or run from CD.

Edit: Oh, snap! Nekokami beat me to it.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #110
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh. Great minds think alike... or something like that.
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #111
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
I have a question. What if "user Joe" don't want to use CF card for other things than books ??

Lars
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #112
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Well, if you want to run iLiadOS off a card, it has to be a CF card (no SD or MMC, right?). If you want to keep your CF card for other things, then iLiadOS will have to be installed directly on the iLiad.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #113
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Just to claify, most users will want to upgrade their iLiad to run the iLiadOS like they do any other software upgrade.

Running it from a CF card is typically reserved for only power users with specific requirements.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #114
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

That leads me to a question for those who want to run it from a CF card. Why?

Other than the additional root file space (which isn't really necessary IMO), for what reason do you want to run the OS from a CF card instead of the root file system?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #115
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post

Other than the additional root file space (which isn't really necessary IMO), for what reason do you want to run the OS from a CF card instead of the root file system?
Beta testing?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #116
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Beta testing?
Jea that can I understand but release I my opinion shout be in main memory. Just my 5 cent. :P

Lars
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #117
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post

Other than the additional root file space (which isn't really necessary IMO)...
Apart from testing, I think that a larger (ext2 or ext3) root file system is an important asset. Right now it is messy to install apps with shared libs in places like /usr/local because there is not much room to share there. Installing on CF or SD is tricky because those are not formatted in a way that allows symlinks (often used for shared libs)

See the discussion in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36117 , starting at message 4
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #118
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Not just Beta testing, even. I'd like to try a new OS without having to face reinstalling everything if I don't like it. I think the unix distros with live CD downloads have the right idea here.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #119
kabocha
kabocha began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad v2
Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't the new iLiad OS be installed on a vmware image for people to try it out and to compare it to the original OS before switching?
kabocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #120
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabocha View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't the new iLiad OS be installed on a vmware image for people to try it out and to compare it to the original OS before switching?
I ported VMPlayer to the Iliad once, but I think I lost the backup floppy ;-)