Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #106
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, share your wild guesses, when is this going to be announced?? I am dying for the info. I really hope it's something I want to order. Tomorrow is April 1, but it's a Saturday, so I'm guessing not. Will it be next week? Or will we have to wait, and wait, and wait....I'm voting for next week. I'll say Weds the 5th.
They promised to include me in the briefings this time around, and i haven't heard anything.

So don't expect a launch in the next couple weeks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #107
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They promised to include me in the briefings this time around, and i haven't heard anything.

So don't expect a launch in the next couple weeks.
Ok, Nate, I am counting on you to let us know as soon as you hear something!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #108
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because so few people actually need the extra space of the external SD card that it is not really worth the effort (i.e cost) for Kobo to produce a device with an external card in it.
it never stopped them before, never mind it's their loss not mine, if you call a bigger screen and more waterproofing evolving then fair enough each to their own, i suppose some people are obviously more easily pleased than others.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-31-2017 at 03:12 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #109
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How much do you use total? 35Gb? Or only 1? (or anything in between, naturally )

I wouldn't want to buy a device without SD card slot if I would use it for media other than plain black-and-white books. Think video, music, but also magazines or newspapers. Yes, there are books that might be large (I do have epubs that are 2Mb in size), but the majority is around 500Kb. As I mostly use my ereader for novels, with an occasional PDF book or comic book (which will a lot larger than the average novel...) 7Gb is large enough for me. With 3Gb (remember, you always lose about 1Gb for system software!), I don't feel comfortable (even though I might have only 1Gb used). And I think that goes for the majority of readers, which are not the ones that post here, but read their lives away in annonimity. Everybody I know that actually uses an ereader only have a few books on it.

And as davidfor already said, why should the majority pay for something they won't use? The update from a 4Gb internal card to a 8Gb internal card makes sense on the One, as that one is more suited for reading larger PDF books or comics.
if Kobo didn't want it's customers to have a Micro SD card slot then they shouldn't have given it too them in the first place, after all it was available on quite a few models not just one.

the main advantage Kobo had over their main rivals as far as i'm concerned was the Micro SD card slot, now that has gone so it seems forever please explain to ME why i should ever buy a Kobo e-reader again?

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-31-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
if Kobo didn't want it's customers to have a Micro SD card slot then they shouldn't have given it too them in the first place, after all it was available on quite a few models not just one.

the main advantage Kobo had over their main rivals as far as i'm concerned was the Micro SD card slot, now that has gone so it seems forever please explain to ME why i should ever buy a Kobo e-reader again?

best wishes koboy
So if you had to buy a new Reader, what would you buy (excluding Kobo)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #111
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if you had to buy a new Reader, what would you buy (excluding Kobo)?
either a Kindle because i like the physical page turn buttons and convert epub to mobi, or much more likely another e-reader that reads epub that as a Micro SD card slot, i will let you know if and when i buy one what it is i'm sure your day will be much better for it.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
it never stopped them before, never mind it's their loss not mine, if you call a bigger screen and more waterproofing evolving then fair enough each to their own, i suppose some people are obviously more easily pleased than others.
I have made no claims about how the devices were evolving. I made a statement that Kobo have decided not to include the SD card. The most likely reason is cost. The next most likely reason is that they discovered that very few of their customers actually used them.

But, I do consider the waterproofing an evolution in the devices.
Quote:
Well a very good reason to put have them in the first place was that when Kobo started, the amount of storage they could put into the device was relatively small. The external SD card slot was needed to have a reasonable amount of storage. Now that they can put much more internal storage, and the overall need for the external slot dropped significantly.

Also, have looked at any recent PC? Did you see a floppy disc drive? If they were so important that the PC makers put them in PCs, why have they been removed?
Quote:
There is only one reason for you to buy a new Kobo ereader. And it's the same reason for buying a Kindle, a Nook, a secondhand Sony or any of the other devices that can be used to read ebooks. Because it fits your needs. If the device doesn't fit your needs, DON'T buy it. The currently available Kobo obviously don't and, based on your posts, I doubt any future Kobo will. Maybe it's time to spend time in the other forums working out what is right for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
either a Kindle because i like the physical page turn buttons and convert epub to mobi, or much more likely another e-reader that reads epub that as a Micro SD card slot, i will let you know if and when i buy one what it is i'm sure your day will be much better for it.

best wishes koboy
So you're saying you won't buy a Kobo if it doesn't have an card slot. So why would you buy a Kindle when it doesn't have a card slot? That's very hypocritical.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #114
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So you're saying you won't buy a Kobo if it doesn't have an card slot. So why would you buy a Kindle when it doesn't have a card slot? That's very hypocritical.
it's not hypocritical at all if you read the full post the Kindle as physical page turn buttons as well as a touch screen which i think is an excellent function, if i wait for Kobo to bring out a model with physical page turn buttons i will be waiting until the 22nd century.

best wishes koboy
Old 03-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #115
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
it's not hypocritical at all if you read the full post the Kindle as physical page turn buttons as well as a touch screen which i think is an excellent function, if i wait for Kobo to bring out a model with physical page turn buttons i will be waiting until the 22nd century.

best wishes koboy
I can testify, the buttons are really nice. Very satisfying. High quality buttons are under rated imo.
Dino84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #116
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
I have made no claims about how the devices were evolving. I made a statement that Kobo have decided not to include the SD card. The most likely reason is cost. The next most likely reason is that they discovered that very few of their customers actually used them.

But, I do consider the waterproofing an evolution in the devices.

Well a very good reason to put have them in the first place was that when Kobo started, the amount of storage they could put into the device was relatively small. The external SD card slot was needed to have a reasonable amount of storage. Now that they can put much more internal storage, and the overall need for the external slot dropped significantly.

Also, have looked at any recent PC? Did you see a floppy disc drive? If they were so important that the PC makers put them in PCs, why have they been removed?

There is only one reason for you to buy a new Kobo ereader. And it's the same reason for buying a Kindle, a Nook, a secondhand Sony or any of the other devices that can be used to read ebooks. Because it fits your needs. If the device doesn't fit your needs, DON'T buy it. The currently available Kobo obviously don't and, based on your posts, I doubt any future Kobo will. Maybe it's time to spend time in the other forums working out what is right for you.
the one and only thing we will hopefully agree on is that i am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours.

also i have as much right to use this forum as anyone else does including you.

therefore i will keep commenting if and when i want to do so while watching IMHO the backward steps and continuing lack of evolving Kobo e-reader's.

one more thing Kobo (brainwave) why don't we double the SD card internal storage from 4GB to 8 GB then we can take away the Micro SD card slot, smart idea NO, obviously just a blatant cost cutting decision on their part, that's it for now.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-31-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #117
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
I can testify, the buttons are really nice. Very satisfying. High quality buttons are under rated imo.
that's good to know, thank you it's much appreciated.

best wishes koboy
Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
the one and only thing we will hopefully agree on is that i am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours.

also i have as much right to use this forum as anyone else does including you.

therefore i will keep commenting if and when i want to do so while watching IMHO the backward steps and continuing lack of evolving Kobo e-reader's.
But, wouldn't your time be more productively spent doing something else? Basically every post you make is to tell us that Kobo are crap and the only possibly decent Kobo device was the original Aura.
Quote:
one more thing Kobo (brainwave) why don't we double the SD card internal storage from 4GB to 8 GB then we can take away the Micro SD card slot, smart idea NO, obviously just a blatant cost cutting decision on their part, that's it for now.
Let's see, yes, I said:

Quote:
The most likely reason is cost.
But, overall, the decision is Kobo's to make. It might be a bad decision, it might not be. But, it is their decision, just as it is your decision to not buy a Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #119
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
But, wouldn't your time be more productively spent doing something else? Basically every post you make is to tell us that Kobo are crap and the only possibly decent Kobo device was the original Aura.

i believe pointing out as i see it Kobo's mistakes is productive regardless if people agree with me or not.

also that's not quite true yes i do think the original Aura is the best e-reader Kobo have made and ever likely to but i also like the Mini for it's small form factor and the H2O is also a nice device just a bit too big for my own particular preference.

i say what i mean and i mean what i say, not all of my posts are negative only about 99.9% of them but they are all my own honest opinion without any agenda or bias, more factual than anything else regarding the retired like it or not external Micro SD card slot and the lack of any real evolvement.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-31-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:11 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
The problem with buttons is that they are in a fixed position. The touch screen is not. You can use the touch screen in many different places, but with the buttons, you don't have much choice.