Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #106
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors

Submarine Warfare in the Pacific: The History of the Fighting Under the Waves between Japan and America during World War II

The Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE: The History and Legacy of Rome's Destruction of Jerusalem and the Second Temple

http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=mr060-2...+river+editors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?tag=mr060...+river+editors
http://www.amazon.ca/s/?tag=mr060-20...+river+editors

Last edited by Little.Egret; 02-03-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add another title
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #107
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
[B]Charles River Editors

Submarine Warfare in the Pacific: The History of the Fighting Under the Waves between Japan and America during World War II
<snip>
If I might put in a plug for this book, based on its subject matter . . . .

People are generally familiar with the "Battle of the Atlantic," the war waged between Nazi Germany and the Allies for control of the North Atlantic. America was trying to get vital supplies to Britain. The U-Boats (submarines) of Nazi Germany were attacking the freighters laden with supplies, sinking enormous amounts of tonnage.

For the Allies to have lost this "battle," would have meant that Great Britain would have been starved into submission to Germany. Churchill once said something to the effect of the only thing that kept him up at night (with worry) during the War was the U-boat situation in the North Atlantic.

Things hung in the balance for three or four years. Eventually, the Allies got the upper hand and by the end of war the U-Boats had been pretty much swept from the sea.

For some reason, however, people generally are unfamiliar with the role that American submarines played in the Pacific in the war against Imperial Japan. They sunk and heavily damaged some ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and that was very important, but their greatest role was the toll that they took against merchant ships. Japan, having few of the natural resources needed for carrying on a modern war, had to import them, almost entirely by ship. American submarines sunk their own enormous amounts of ship tonnage, crippling the Japanese war industries by the end of the war. I dare say that American submarines were as crucial to the victory of the Allies in the Pacific theater as the defeat of the submarines by the Allies in the Atlantic were to the victory of the Allies in the European theater.

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-03-2016 at 05:58 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #108
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
^ Other ocean, but my Dad was on one of the ships (the Pope) that captured the German sub U-505. Pretty interesting story of how its capture had to be hidden so as to not make the Germans think we could crack the Enigma Code. wiki link
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #109
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
^ Other ocean, but my Dad was on one of the ships (the Pope) that captured the German sub U-505. Pretty interesting story of how its capture had to be hidden so as to not make the Germans think we could crack the Enigma Code. wiki link
I love learning about MobileReaders' personal connections with the media we're sharing in these forums. TrevorViking, have you considered sharing your Dad's story (or military-related memorabilia) with the Library of Congress Veterans History Project?

Same question applies to other MobileReaders who are active duty, military veterans, relatives of military veterans, or folks who have somehow been involved with the US military.

Last edited by Froide; 02-04-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #110
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I love learning about MobileReaders' personal connections with the media we're sharing in these forums. TrevorViking, have you considered sharing your Dad's story (or military-related memorabilia) with the Library of Congress Veterans History Project?

Same question applies to other MobileReaders who are active duty, military veterans, relatives of military veterans, or folks who have somehow been involved with the US military.
I registered there in person back in oh, '95 or '96, but I don't know anything about recording my story; dull as it is.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #111
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Official Founding Partners can help you. They are listed by state at http://www.loc.gov/vets/partners/partners.html
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #112
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
That really is fascinating to me. Acquiring the Enigma machine (for those who weren't aware) was extremely advantageous to the Allies.

I don't know if your father is still living, but if he is I wish that he would write a book, or have someone else write one using information that he would provide, about his experiences. I've run across books (mostly self-published) of peoples' experiences in World War II that were far less interesting than that!
Old 02-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #113
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Book on Little-Known Part of Thailand-Burma Railway Workers' Experiences. FREE Pdf!

Honestly, I'm not posting this to piggyback on the previous few posts. It just happened that I came along this one, which not only deals with World War II, but also relies on oral history for much of its content.

I don't quite know what to make of this book. I did a search on Amazon for it. It apparently doesn't exist there. The only hit is for The Barbed Wire University: The Real Lives of Allied Prisoners of War in the Second World War by Midge Gillies. Similar topic, but not the same title. Not the same author, either.

After doing a little bit more research, I just decided to turn it over to you, just giving you what I knew about it. Hope it's a good one.

The topic is certainly intriquing. This might make a great movie, imho. Who knows, one may be in the offing right now, as the book was published just a couple of years ago.

Title: Captive Audiences/Captive Performers: Music and Theatre as Strategies for Survival on the Thailand-Burma Railway 1942-1945.
Format: Pdf.
Author(s): Sears A. Eldredge.
Publisher: Macalester College?
Pages: ii + 627.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): N/A.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: N/A.
Book Description (Amazon):
This book tells the story of how music and theatre helped the 61,000 POWs who were sent to these camps survive their ordeal. It is a story that is not well-known to history and it is now being recovered. It is a story about how music and theatre and the other arts are absolutely essential to a society's life.
Comments: Legal (license-type stuff) information: "This Book is brought to you for free and open access by the Captive Audiences/Captive Performers at DigitalCommons@Macalester College." The webpage, for the book, at Macalester College is at http://digitalcommons.macalester.edu/captiveaudiences/.
URL: http://digitalcommons.macalester.edu...text=thdabooks (direct link).
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #114
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
That really is fascinating to me. Acquiring the Enigma machine (for those who weren't aware) was extremely advantageous to the Allies.

I don't know if your father is still living, but if he is I wish that he would write a book, or have someone else write one using information that he would provide, about his experiences. I've run across books (mostly self-published) of peoples' experiences in World War II that were far less interesting than that!
He's not with us any longer, but thanks for the link to that site. I'm going to see if anyone on his ships have anything uploaded.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #115
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Lots of FREE Coloring Books for ADULTS!

"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die . . . ." --Tennyson.

No, I don't think that I understand the upsurge in interest by adults in coloring books (for themselves). But all that I really need to know is that they have become popular for the adult crowd lately. So I'll try to do my part.

From a webpage of Open Culture's that I came across: "This week, from February 1 – February 4, museums and libraries worldwide are taking part in #ColorOurCollections. As part of this campaign, these institutions have made available free coloring books, letting you color artwork from their collections . . . ." Navigate to this webpage from Open Culture, which gives links to numerous websites where a person can download the free coloring books.

Sorry not to give you more advance notice, but I just learned of this program in an email that I received today!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #116
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
For those interested in the U505 story the memoir Steel Boat, Iron Hearts by Hans Goebeler is a very interesting and easy read from the German crew's side. He was on all of U505's patrols including that when it was captured.

I won't provide links because as far as I know there are no current deals on the book (so off thread), but it is available as an ebook at both of Amazon and Kobo.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #117
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die . . . ." --Tennyson.

No, I don't think that I understand the upsurge in interest by adults in coloring books (for themselves). But all that I really need to know is that they have become popular for the adult crowd lately. So I'll try to do my part.

From a webpage of Open Culture's that I came across: "This week, from February 1 – February 4, museums and libraries worldwide are taking part in #ColorOurCollections. As part of this campaign, these institutions have made available free coloring books, letting you color artwork from their collections . . . ." Navigate to this webpage from Open Culture, which gives links to numerous websites where a person can download the free coloring books.

Sorry not to give you more advance notice, but I just learned of this program in an email that I received today!
In case you didn't find enough pages to color, here's a link to a webpage with links to several more (ha) organizations participating in the #ColorOurCollections thingie--at last count, 160 of them.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #118
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

University of Chicago Press Kindle Ebook Sale Redivivus*?

Well, it appears that the University of Chicago Press has another Kindle ebook sale going on or, you might say, revived the last one.

I say that with mixed emotions. We went through this about 6 months ago and, personally, it was not pleasant. If you weren't around then, you might be interested in doing a search of this forum (I think that most of the discussion was on this thread, also) to see what we said then.

So far, it looks like most of the selection consists of ebooks that they offered last time, and at about the same prices.

Here's the linky with all of the sale books. The ones on sale will tend to be at the beginning because the results are from a sort by price, low to high.

If this sale follows the previous one as a pattern, you can count on the sale prices being good for several days.

* Latin, I think. Means something like "brought back to life."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-05-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 AM   #119
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Well, there goes a chunk of my life for the next few days. Darn Thank you, Gtrs!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #120
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free megathread for a new bundle:

Humble Book Bundle 3D Printing & Drones presented by Make: is full of helpful DIY tech crafts instructions for Exactly What It Says In The Title, as well as a couple of books on more general crafting tools and tips for less ambitious DIYers who just want to set up a workbench and make gliders and their own soap and such.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote