Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #106
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Never mind.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-31-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #107
donnieparker
donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
You might like a promising new series called Thrones & Bones by Lou Anders. The first book, Frostborn, just came out this summer, and book 2 is coming out in 2015. It's really fun!
donnieparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #108
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Once and Future King may not be appropriate but The Sword in the Stone is available separately and is my favorite part of the series. It's sort of like The Hobbit. A series with the first book written for children (though all ages may enjoy it.) The stand alone book, written in 1938, has some excellent scenes that were cut when it was included in the tetralogy, like Merlin's duel with Madame Mim and the adventure with Galapas the giant.

Also the Chronicles of Prydain five book series by Lloyd Alexander. Its based on Welsh mythology and the Disney movie The Black Cauldron was based on one of the books. I think the books are available in an omnibus edition.

A couple of them won Newberry Awards.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #109
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Thanks, guys!

And yes: Prydain is definitely on the list.

Vis-a-vis the other one: right now, he wants series of books--at least trilogies, he says. So, we'll have to wait on the Anders book.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #110
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What about Lemony Snicket's "A series of unfortunate events" or Artemis Fowl?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #111
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What about Lemony Snicket's "A series of unfortunate events" or Artemis Fowl?
I've heard of both, but as of yet, know less-than-nothing about them. I've added them to my "to investigate" list, thanks, Crich!

Hitch
Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #112
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Seconding "A Series of Unfortunate Events." Great fun! And there's a movie.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #113
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another author who occurred to me is Roald Dahl especially his "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and its sequel "Charlie and the great glass elevator."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #114
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? Magic/fantasy and not sci-fi, with steampunk elements. Boy protagonist and squeaky clean as I recall. Very well done; I prefer it to Potter.
This was my thinking and I wonder if someone might have suggested it already - I can't believe it was the first reply. In fact, I've got them in a bag to give away/sell. I would keep them but they're pretty big. Perhaps I'd better take them out and read them once more first as the books tend to have a lot of footnotes and that might not work as well with an ereader version.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #115
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This was my thinking and I wonder if someone might have suggested it already - I can't believe it was the first reply. In fact, I've got them in a bag to give away/sell. I would keep them but they're pretty big. Perhaps I'd better take them out and read them once more first as the books tend to have a lot of footnotes and that might not work as well with an ereader version.
Hi:

I believe that they did--it seems to be on my list. It may have been recommended in another thread. (Fret not--he's getting them in paper!). (Actually, they sound pretty good--I might give them a go myself!)

Thanks!
Hitch