Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #106
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I know what I want in the next Kindle...

Wireless charging. It is so handy on my cell phone. I love not having to fiddle with that micro USB port.

As a technology it's probably too expensive to implement just yet in cheap ereaders, though.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #107
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Wireless charging probably isn't that useful for a device that you need to charge every couple of weeks or so.

A solar charging option would be much better. Perhaps on the inside of the cover, or a pull-out tray at the top of the reader. Then you'll never have to worry about battery life again.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #108
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Wireless charging probably isn't that useful for a device that you need to charge every couple of weeks or so.

A solar charging option would be much better. Perhaps on the inside of the cover, or a pull-out tray at the top of the reader. Then you'll never have to worry about battery life again.
That's a great idea--and would be so useful for folks who want to take their reader camping when they won't have ready access to electricity for extended periods of time.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #109
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Just a few cells along the top rim or on the back would probably do it. If it charges enough to compensate for what you use, it might go months between recharges; it'll only run down if you read in darkness all the time.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #110
mhatlie
mhatlie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1) Collections within collections
The Kindle should have the ability to have a hierarchy of collections. So I could have collections called "Thoreau" and "Twain" and "Hawthorne" within a collection called "19th century" within a collection called "American lit."

If Calibre can already do this - good. I haven't tried it yet. But the original machine should be able to. I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine that would be too difficult.

2) Re-Naming
I'd like to be able to give the items/texts in the machine names, especially the stuff I "send to Kindle" from the internet.

MH
mhatlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #111
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlie View Post
1) Collections within collections
The Kindle should have the ability to have a hierarchy of collections. So I could have collections called "Thoreau" and "Twain" and "Hawthorne" within a collection called "19th century" within a collection called "American lit."

If Calibre can already do this - good. I haven't tried it yet. But the original machine should be able to. I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine that would be too difficult.
Neither Kobo nor B&N does this either. I believe there are device out there that rely on folder hierarchies though...

I wouldn't hold out for this. It actually WAS a feature of the Kindle before they took it away with Cloud Collections. Granted, it required a hack to enable...

If thsnis important to you I advise you to (if necessary) downgrade your Kindle to a firmware lower than 5.4.2 --either 5.4.0 for the PW2 or 5.3.9 (I believe it went straight to 5.4.4.2 or something) for the PW1.

Then install the Collections Manager kindlet.

Quote:
2) Re-Naming
I'd like to be able to give the items/texts in the machine names, especially the stuff I "send to Kindle" from the internet.

MH
calibre can change the metadata of any ebook and even email it to your send-to-kindle email address for you.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #112
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Collections are tags, not folders, so it isn't really possible to put them in a hierarchy. If a book is in two collections, which one would you put it under? Just name your collections appropriately, like Authors_Jane_Austen, and Authors_Charles_Dickens, if you want them to seem hierarchical.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #113
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlie View Post
I'd like to be able to give the items/texts in the machine names, especially the stuff I "send to Kindle" from the internet.MH
Does that still work? Mine stopped working. Used to love that feature.
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #114
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Just a few cells along the top rim or on the back would probably do it. If it charges enough to compensate for what you use, it might go months between recharges; it'll only run down if you read in darkness all the time.
That'd be nice but it'd also be a pain with cases/covers.
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #115
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Collections are tags, not folders, so it isn't really possible to put them in a hierarchy. If a book is in two collections, which one would you put it under? Just name your collections appropriately, like Authors_Jane_Austen, and Authors_Charles_Dickens, if you want them to seem hierarchical.
Nested collections are superior to folders for precisely that reason. You can pu boooks in multiple collections, and you can also put collections inside of collections.

If a collection should only appear inside the other collection, Collections Manager Kindlet flags it as hidden on the home screen.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #116
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Certainly it is possible. I can only program basic stuff but I could easily write a tiny program to display only the items in the level of collections starting with the Home Screen Collection that you are currently in. And it wouldn't matter how many collections an item was in. It works sort of like that in a limited way right now. When sorted by collection you see the items in your Home Collection, collections first followed by loose items. Select a collection and you only see the items in that collection. There is no reason why you couldn't show collections inside that collection as well. Select one of those and you would only see the items inside That collection. The back button would move you back up a level.

Last edited by crossi; 09-09-2014 at 11:05 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote