Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #106
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Hmm, that's odd, it was working. What platform are you running on?

I've got to take my wife to a Dr's appointment, I'll take a look at it later today.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #107
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
And not all thext that's bold on the webpage will end up bold in the LRF.
I meant to add, can you give me an example? I'm guessing, but probably they're setting the bold attribute in a style sheet. Right now I'm just grabbing the selected html. I'll look and see if it's possible to grab style sheet info also.
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #108
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Hi,

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.3

About the bold parts not being bold: those were the sites I tested it on: http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...410157,00.html
and http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/28/28121/1.html

The second one worked, so you're probably right and the other one's using stylesheets.

But the second one contains some German umlauts in the title and wouldn't work until I removed them, so there is definitely a problem with the charset in titles and/or resulting filenames.

No images were included in both cases (OK, there are no images in the second article, but generally images from that site don't seem to work, at least not with "selection to LRF": http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/28/28035/1.html . The images are there now when I convert the whole page, BTW, which is new - that's the same page I mentioned in an earlier post!)

jo.
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #109
beowulf573
Addict

There's problem getting the encoding correct on content and filenames between XP, Linux and Mac and between Firefox 2.0 and Firefox 3.0. It's going to take a bit of digging to figure out what works where and implement it correctly.

So for now you'll see issues with texts and titles that have unicode characters such as Chinese.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #110
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Question almost empty metadata

Hi,

I find myself using BookIt quite often, even though I'm not planning to buy a Sony Reader and don't knwo when Calibre will support conversion to ePub. It is just nice to "collect" stuff this way.

While doing so, I noticed that BookIt has a "comments" and a "category" field for eBooks. Text entered here doesn't seem to be carried over to Calibre. Calibre uses "tags" and "series" and also has a "comments" field. All of them stay empty, no matter what I fill in the BookIt fields...

Supporting the "tags" fild of Calibre would be especially nice!

Cheers,

jo.
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #111
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Fantastic little tool!

Beowulf

I have to say that, since the "convert selected" option was added, BookIt has become one of my most used utilities (second only to Calibre .

Well done, and keep up the good work

Irene

Last edited by Surfergirl; 06-16-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Can't spell!!
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #112
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
Hi,
While doing so, I noticed that BookIt has a "comments" and a "category" field for eBooks. Text entered here doesn't seem to be carried over to Calibre. Calibre uses "tags" and "series" and also has a "comments" field. All of them stay empty, no matter what I fill in the BookIt fields...

Supporting the "tags" fild of Calibre would be especially nice!
Thanks for the feedback (everyone). I don't have time for extensive testing, so this helps.

I think there are two type of comments; those embedded in the file as meta-data and those stored in the Calibre database. Right now I can only modify the embedded metadata and then add the file to Calibre, I have no way of modifying the attributes in the database that are external to the file. Perhaps Kovid will see this and explain it better.

Running lrf-meta on a file shows the comment created with Bookit, but that comment doesn't appear in Calibre.

I've not had the time to research the unicode encoding issue, I hope to get to that tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #113
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately there's no tags field in the LRF metadata to extract into the calibre database. But I could add support for modifying metadata fields to the calibredb command
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #114
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Comma ':' in title will create empty file

I think this is related to invalid character problem reported earlier, but I found that sites with ':' in title will not work. For example, using Bookit on the following site will create empty file names 'Ctan'.
http://www.ctan.org/what_is_tex.html
If you can allow Bookit to automatically replace or remove such characters, it will be really helpful.

Thanks for your great extension and it works great in FF3 without any problem.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #115
beowulf573
Addict

Great, thanks. I'll update the list of invalid characters today and shove out a new release. I'm hoping to spend some time tonight looking at the unicode issue.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #116
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can find the list of invalid characters in the sanitize_filename function in the calibre sources.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #117
beowulf573
Addict

Cool, I'll check it out. Turns out I had ':' in the list but my regex isn't working correctly.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #118
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Spidering vs. Single Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf573 View Post
This would work well for me, since I usually switch to a printable, single page version of the document if it's available and generate the ebook from there. This won't work so well if folks are generally creating ebooks from multipage sites.

So it's a trade off, better control over the content vs spaning multiple pages. It thought about spidering the page from inside the plugin, but that may be more work than I have time to do right now.

Thoughts?
I don't want to talk for others, so I hope everybody will chime in on this, but generally I don't try to spider a site with the plugin...I'm using it for long, single-page articles. I *do* really like when the illustrations in the article appear in the lrf.

Last edited by dsuden; 06-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #119
beowulf573
Addict

Released 0.3.8

I've pushed 0.3.8 out, sorry for the delay I'm a bit busy with personal and work stuff right now.

In this release:

I’ve changed the code to use the calibredb command to add lrf files to the database. There’s a new preference that stores the path to calibredb, after updating please verify in the options dialog that the path is correct.

The code to check for a colon in the output file has been fixed.

Two existing bugs that I’ve not yet found a solution for both involving unicode characters. If the title of the page has unicode characters the output file generated by web2lrf under Windows NT may not be correct. For now just edit the title when creating the page to not include exotic characters. Also, under Firefox 2.x when creating a lrf book from the current selection and the selection has unicode characters, the lrf file does not always contain the correct text. It’s not a consistent bug, and I’ve not been able to reproduce it using Firefox 3.x.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #120
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
I don't want to talk for others, so I hope everybody will chime in on this, but generally I don't try to spider a site with the plugin...I'm using it for long, single-page articles. I *do* really like when the illustrations in the article appear in the lrf.
Thanks. For a while at least I'll leave the way it works as it is. There's no good solution short of writing my own spidering code. I may still end up doing that, but that's a bigger project than I have spare time for right now.