Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
BWinmill,

If this were a legal forum, I'd say you're ultimately correct based on local laws, federal laws,jurisdiction, etc., but this isn't "The Paperchase", Professor Kingsley is pushing up daisies, and the forum was not hosting the files, only allowing a link to be posted. If I'm not mistaken links are still perfectly legal.
And how many sites for which the defense was that "we don't post files only the links to them" have been shut down? It appears the weight of precedent is coming down on the side that posting a link to illegal content is the same as hosting illegal content.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #107
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have we all run out of nits to pick

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #108
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Have we all run out of nits to pick

Helen
Not for decades yet.

Regards,
David
Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #109
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
is the long paragraph bug and returning to sleep mode after opening the cover when no page turn fixed?
- To answer to myself, long paragraph bug still there. Returning to sleeping mode bug still there too.

Some others remaining problems:
- Opening a new (unread yet) epub still opening it to its first TOC entrie, instead of opening the book to page 1, like kepub...
- The sort by series still not offered.
- when coming back from a book's detail, the shelves position is reseted to page 1...

Some interesting changes, the virtual keyboard, some little shelves changes, simplified theme (no more rounded buttons, just colored rectangles)

This update seems to be mainly cosmetic, almost no bug fixes.

Bah...

Last edited by byblo; 07-24-2013 at 01:52 AM.
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #110
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
- To answer to myself, long paragraph bug still there. Returning to sleeping mode bug still there too.

- Opening a new (unread yet) epub still opening it to its first TOC entrie, instead of opening the book to page 1, like kepub...
- when coming back from a book's detail, the shelves position is reseted to page 1...

Some interesting changes, the virtual keyboard, some little shelves changes, simplified theme (no more rounded buttons, just colored rectangles)

This update seems to be mainly cosmetic, almost no bug fixes.

Bah...
"Returning to sleeping mode" is no bug but protection against accidental turning on of the device. The sleep cover can easily open a little when in a bag or so -- you wouldn't want the device to turn on for 15 minutes each time?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #111
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Add
Quote:
It opens epubs at the page the book tells it to. If that is the wrong page then complain to the publisher, or you can edit the book to open at the page you want.

Quote:
I just tried this and it doesn't happen on my Glo. Closing the book's details page returns the view to the same position in the library I was before I opened the details page.

The top margin in ePubs has gone completely. Now I will have to go through my library in Calibre and add back the @page{margin-top:10pt} that I removed after upgrading to 2.5.2. I don't really mind whether the margin is there or not (since I can add it myself if it is missing), but I hope they they will make up their mind and stop changing it.

Edit: Actually there is a very small side and top margin, it is not quite zero. Picture attached of my Glo with margin slider at minimum. (ePub, 2.8.1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub-minimum-margins-281.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	108505  

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-24-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Add photo
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The top margin in ePubs has gone completely. Now I will have to go through my library in Calibre and add back the @page{margin-top:10pt} that I removed after upgrading to 2.5.2. I don't really mind whether the margin is there or not (since I can add it myself if it is missing), but I hope they they will make up their mind and stop changing it.
You know they are listening? I think you just put us in for another change in 2.8.2 or 2.9.0 or whatever it gets called
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #113
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

- when coming back from a book's detail, the shelves position is reseted to page 1
Long paragraph bug? Somehow, I suspect that Kobo won't get that fixed until they replace the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK code.

The return to sleep mode is not a bug in my opinion. It is by design so that if your sleep cover flops open in your bag, the ereader doesn't wake up for 15 minutes. When the quick return to sleep happened when you weren't using a sleep cover -- that was what more people called a bug though I classified it as a dubious feature.

You call opening at the first TOC entry a bug, I call it a feature. You may enjoy paging forward past the cover, copyright info, author's book list, acknowledgements, dedication, and Great Ghu alone knows what else. I've got ebooks that have 18 pages which take 50 or page turns to get by before getting into the meat of the book.

Sort by series would be nice. OTOH, you can search for a series. John Ringo's Looking Glass series, using look as the search string. David Weber's Bahzell series, bahz finds those. Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, para finds those. Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series? vork find those. Mercedes Lackey's 500 Kingdom series? 500 finds those. They do come up sorted by title but that's really only an issue with series such as the Grantville Gazette which is up to 48 volumes or David Weber's Honor Harrington universe which is hitting up to 26 books.

Shelves? Never use them.

Regards,
David
Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #114
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Add
It opens epubs at the page the book tells it to. If that is the wrong page then complain to the publisher, or you can edit the book to open at the page you want.
Then why kepub behavior is not the same ? No published on kobo store ? :s

I don't mind to call it a bug or feature.

Whatever it is, it should be optional at least. When I open a book, I like to read who translated the book, when it was published the first time, to read the dedicace, the author's introduction, the author's notes, and so on...

Its irritating to have each time to popup the bottom menu, then page icon, then arrow, then close the thing, just to start it from the beginning of the book...

Also, talking about something else, the French dictionary still unavailable to use (not the only one, Deutch, Japanese, ...), which is completely a dumb, egoistic and mediocre choice from the dictionary's publishers, since sometimes I cannot even know properly what a word is...

For instance, in a book I read the unknown word: "blabla", then click the word for definition, the dictionary opens, and gives me: "blabla: related to blablating"
Thanks, but I still don't know what blabla or blablating means !!!

And of course, theres no links inside the dictionary popup, which could jump from a definition to another by clicking the words.

Nice way to reduce an useful feature. Its like they doing it on purpose to disappoint people the most they can.

Also, I almost forgot the inability to change the font if the ebook specified one. Why giving the options if its to restrict it ? I remember in old firmware pictures there was a check box in the fonts option, something called "Kobo Style" or something like that. Was it an option to force fonts choices? Or what was the purpose of it ?
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #115
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@byblo: have you installed the dictionary from the Kobo Desktop application or using the wifi?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Epubs are rendered using Adobe's Reader Mobile SDK code. Kepub.epubs are rendered using ACCESS's NetFront BookReader code. The ACCESS renderer is able to handle a fair chunk of HTML5 and EPUB3 but does not handle Adobe's ADEPT DRM so the Adobe code is still needed to borrow books from your local library or to read a downloaded Adobe DRM ebook. More information on ACCESS is available on their website and also on the Readium website.

http://gl.access-company.com/products/dpub/bookreader/

Quote:
I don't mind to call it a bug or feature.

Whatever it is, it should be optional at least. When I open a book, I like to read who translated the book, when it was published the first time, to read the dedicace, the author's introduction, the author's notes, and so on...

Its irritating to have each time to popup the bottom menu, then page icon, then arrow, then close the thing, just to start it from the beginning of the book...
If your ebooks are editable, use Sigil to put an entry for the cover page in the toc.ncx. As for optional? I can't see them changing a behaviour that was in the original Kobo (the non-touch, non-WiFi) ereader when they are looking towards the future. Check Datalogics page for information on their epub3 support. Datalogics is currently supporting the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK and their path to the future seems to be waiting for the Readium project and then grafting the Adobe DRM code onto it.

Quote:
Also, I almost forgot the inability to change the font if the ebook specified one. Why giving the options if its to restrict it ? I remember in old firmware pictures there was a check box in the fonts option, something called "Kobo Style" or something like that. Was it an option to force fonts choices? Or what was the purpose of it ?
I don't notice an inability to change fonts when reading an ebook but then I strip embedded fonts just to save space (and that I find a lot of the font choices to be crap on an eInk display). "Kobo Style" seemed to be tied to some Javascript embedded in older .kepub.epub books. That code seems to be gone leaving a zero length placeholder behind.

Regards,
David
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #117
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
kEpubs contain all sorts of changes from the original epub, many have changes the paragraph stye from indented-with-no-margin to non-indented-with-margins for example.

In the original ePub book there is often a line in the guide section of the content.opf file that specifies which page to open at. It is a deliberate choice by the publisher to open the book at that page, so I think devices which ignore that guide are the ones with the bug.

I do agree it would be nice if there was a setting on the device that allowed you to choose whether to follow the book's guide or not.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #118
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure what ini file you are talking about. The file gets unpacked into a partition on the device that you can't access. There are configuration files and a database, but they should be there already.
I mean this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
From the first post, here's the syntax for kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[CustomCommands]
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
That is, if I remember right, the way to customize the plugin. Only that I have difficulties in recollecting how the procedure was in detail.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #119
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
A virus for Linux? A voodoo curse is more probable.
Who do that vodoo that you do so well? (from "Mash").

Quote:
Have you tried to reset Kobo completely (you have to long press the light button and turn on the Kobo if I remember well) (and if I remember well this removes ALL the contents from your Kobo, books included)

Your proposal is an option. But at present, I'm glad to see the device working; and perhaps there will soon come another upgrade (see the present thread).
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #120
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem faster now at rendering pages after page turns? Not that the Aura was slow before, but it seemed to take a heartbeat longer to redraw text before 2.8.1.

It took a while after the download to finish installing (as if it was doing a full system image update versus a delta upgrade), but it seems to be heads and shoulders above 2.5.1 in terms of responsiveness for me.
It's quite possible.
In 2.6.1 they updated a lot of driver and renderer components to it's latest version and removed outdated codefragments.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote