Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #106
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
As a newbie, I don't even know what is a collection and how I best to take advantage of this. I did notice that T1, with 24GB+ MicroSD of mp3's slows down the reader and because of the clunky interface I went back to no Micro SD or just a 1GB MicroSD for more books. (Still like the option though.)

So, where is this driver that Kolenka is developing? Is it still part of the code base in Google code or can I download a beta version. (Kolenka, are you pushing this to the beta site daily?) I was busy with copying, re-copying and letting T1 scan my micro-sd's that I haven't had time to play with this yet. Mind if you give a few pointer on usage as well? Thanks.

EDIT: Is this it?
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/
Does it include Kolenka's efforts or Kovid's generic driver only.

Thank you.

Last edited by azxswq; 10-10-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Including Kovid's beta link.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #107
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
jackie_w, I can see how plugboards would help, thanks for posting some more uses for them. I do think T1 has nice built options already, but plugboards you can customize it even further.

azxswq - that's the lastest beta binary that you linked that includes only library management and no collections. Kolenka's code is not available in binary format and is still not integrated in calibre -- it is pending review. If you have been following this thread you will see that Kovid is relocating to India so things take more time than usual.

Since you don't need collections yet, just use the current version you linked and enjoy it! Library management works great in that version. All the tutorials and documentation already provided in calbre apply so you might take some reading through them. http://calibre-ebook.com/help
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #108
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Kolenka's code is not available in binary format and is still not integrated in calibre -- it is pending review.
The latest version is in the source tree (trunk).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #109
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for update, great news!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #110
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by azxswq View Post
So, where is this driver that Kolenka is developing? Is it still part of the code base in Google code or can I download a beta version. (Kolenka, are you pushing this to the beta site daily?)
In addition to what else has been said, keep in mind I'm not a normal Calibre contributor. So anything I do goes through the gatekeepers like Kovid to catch malicious or poor code before it goes in, as it should be. I just beat the usual folks to the punch this time around is all.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #111
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
In addition to what else has been said, keep in mind I'm not a normal Calibre contributor. So anything I do goes through the gatekeepers like Kovid to catch malicious or poor code before it goes in, as it should be. I just beat the usual folks to the punch this time around is all.
You are being modest.

Being a curious soul, I looked at what you have done. It is very well built, well commented, and clear. I hope you hang around.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #112
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Ok, everyone, forgive me, please, if I have missed a portion of the thread.

I am not a programmer, so I do not understand everything posted here. I have just bought a PRS-T1 last night. Calibre does not recognize my reader. It is an older version, so, if I download a newer version will it then recognize my reader?

Thank you.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #113
log

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
I am not a programmer, so I do not understand everything posted here. I have just bought a PRS-T1 last night. Calibre does not recognize my reader. It is an older version, so, if I download a newer version will it then recognize my reader?
T1 support is still in beta and has not made into the official release version yet.

Here is the first beta version with basic support for T1 library management (no collections) - http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/

The developers will probably release another beta version in the near future that will add more features like collections, thumbnails, and plugboard, so I'd stay tuned if you are willing to test.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #114
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I've submitted a bug fix patch.

This gets device_db plugboards working, so it doesn't need to send over a modified ePub. It also fixes a bug with the display of collections on the device after resending a book that was already on the device.

EDIT: Chaley, I wasn't really trying to come off as modest, although I don't think my programming would be nearly as good as it is now without some modesty. I was more pointing out that there is process for preventing bad code from getting into Calibre, especially when dealing with folks new to the project, which slows things down a little. But that process is a good one.

Last edited by Kolenka; 10-10-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #115
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
jackie_w: Thanks for the plugboard information. I will be trying it out on my PRS-950 shortly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #116
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Really appreciate all the effort.

Thanks Kolenka for 1. recommend me on Sony/T1 based on the philosophical difference between Amazon and Sony. 2. working so dilligently on this driver. (For that matter, Kovid and Chaley as well.)

I will monitor this site frequently and when the process has run its course, be sure to check out your work.

(I used to be a good programmer once, but it's a shame that I can at best understand technology now instead of creating it. So I appreciate them that much more...)

I will contribute some money toward calibre and it is always good Karma.

Love the T1, by the way, maybe even better than Red, because the black blend in the contrast with the books.

Last edited by azxswq; 10-10-2011 at 11:56 PM.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #117
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have uploaded new betas with Kolenka's driver that supports collections.

As before, it is available at: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #118
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2e, Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Paperwhite
I've tried out the new version of the beta and all is working except for some reason I'm seeing 7 copies of nearly every book (All Books, Sorted by Title). When viewed by Collection or Series as collection, it shows 1 copy of each book. Otherwise, it's working quite smoothly.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #119
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Tested the new beta version with poor mixed results. Maybe I need to set something that I did not do correctly. Here are my results (+ equals good and - equals bad):

T1 connected to computer

1. - Calibre Welcome Wizard does not show the T1 so I selected "SONY > All other SONY devices".

2. - SD card not Shown/recognized (it was previously shown when I created a "User Defined USB driver" in both the first beta and the old Calibre versions).

3. + The Device view showed all previous books and their Collections column correctly (Collections were not seen in Calibre under the previous "User Defined USB driver").

Copied 2 files with 4 tags to T1

4. + The Device view showed the 2 new books along with their Collections.

Ejected the T1 Reader and viewed the Reader

5. +- A new Collection was created from one of the tags. It originally showed the 2 books in the Collection, but the Reader was still working and removed the books from this collection automatically after the Reader finished loading.

6. - A duplicated Collection was created from a tag (unpopulated). The original Collection retain all its books.

7. - None of the newly added books appeared in any Collection. Again this was probably caused when the T1 removed them on loading.

Reconnected the T1 Reader to the computer

8. + The 2 books still appeared in the Device view

9. - The Collections column showed all the previous device collections but not the 2 newly added books (blank Collections). This makes sense since the Reader removed the books from the Collections when it started up.

Ejected the T1 Reader and viewed the Reader

10. - The new Collection and Duplicate Collection were still unpopulated and neither of the 2 newly added books belonged to any Collections.

Reconnected the Reader and removed the 2 newly added books

11. + The new and duplicate Collections were removed.

Like I said maybe I missed something to set up with the new driver but it is not working very well for me.

So to summarize I see three problems:
1. The SD card is not shown / detected.
2. The Reader removes the books added to Collections when it starts up.
3. An existing Collection was duplicated when a book with that tag was added.

Last edited by Robert22; 10-11-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #120
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
3. An existing Collection was duplicated when a book with that tag was added.
Food for thought.

I don't have a T-1 but it has been reported elsewhere that if you send 2 books to your SD card under the collection Horror and later send 3 books to internal memory under the collection Horror that you will end up with two Horror collections one from the SD card with the 2 books in it and one from Internal memory with the 3 books in it. This behavior is consistant with every other ereader Sony has previously sold.

Just for fun you might want to remove the SD card and test again. This data might give Kolenka more information to work with.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote