Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #106
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
It works great and even has the page flip animation.
oh awesome. I love such emulations of pbooks. I'm waiting next for coffee stains on the pages...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #107
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
quickoffice was never an app on my droid (but always worked)

But Repligo is the only PDF reader that does not crash (basically goes back to home screen).

It is fast and great. Well worth the 4.99.
100% agree!

RepliGO and Goodreader are the best PDF applications, in my opinion, that you can buy or get right now. 1st for Android, last one for iOs.

I wish Kindle DXG can use some of these editing features. I know is not touchscreen, but Kindle 3 made lot if improvements on that area that still are missing on the "big brother".
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #108
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
oh awesome. I love such emulations of pbooks. I'm waiting next for coffee stains on the pages...
And pages stuck together by some greenish translucent material.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #109
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And pages stuck together by some greenish translucent material.
So do you understand the sizzle now? The google books app has a nice invisible bookshelf that I wanted to utilize.

For PDF use the hidden but included QuickOffice. It is the only PDF reader I have found that is both functional and remembers your place no matter what. I am reading a PDF book on programming and after two days, a few manual reboots and tons of other apps beinf installed, run, or uninstalled the app holds my place so it stores them permanently it would seem. I use ES File Explorer to launch the book, and it gives you the option. Between Adobe PDF, Aldiko and Quickoffice, the latter is the best choice.

I'm glad to see so many readers liking the XOOM. I don't believe in reading on a screen like this, except for PDFs which my kindle just sort of fails at. But then again I am not opposed to carrying multiple devices. Though with the switch to a bigger bag and addition of my XOOM, I think my bag is finally too heavy.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #110
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some trials with PDFs yesterday and am very impressed. This is the first device that has allowed me to read a pdf in more or less the way it was intended. The Sony, Aztek, Kindle were all atrocious!

I tested them with both the QuickOffice and Aldiko and both work great! This makes me very happy because many of the technical books and professional magazines I get are only available as pdf ebooks.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Last edited by kennyc; 03-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #111
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Hey folks, thanks for the really kind words about my review for MobileTechReview Even if I don't get around to posting much here, I lurk.

Try the free Adobe Reader from the market for PDFs too. It might just be my eyes, but I find it renders text a tiny bit darker which I like. Coming from the world of E-ink readers, even the Kindle DX Graphite, I have to say the Xoom is the best PDF experience on an LCD-based tablet or eReader. That said, the Xoom is clearly about much more than just reading (not that reading isn't important but I don't think lots of folks spend $600 to $800 solely to read books).

For those wondering about text clarity, the Xoom has a 160ppi pixel density compared to 169 for the Nook Color and 132ppi for the iPad. It's plenty sharp, though contrast isn't as high as the iPad's. The screen size means it's the Kindle DX of LCD readers which is lovely, though I still find I use my Nook Color for daily reading. Mostly because it lacks the distractions of twitter, Facebook and email . But not everyone has such as hectic an online life as I do! Nor does everyone have the luxury of owning both.

The LTE upgrade requires that you send in the device to Moto. They won't tear apart or exchange the Xoom in a Verizon store. I've heard that the SD card slot is a driver issue waiting on Google for Honeycomb. From taking it apart, the slot looks fully wired.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #112
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Hey folks, thanks for the really kind words about my review for MobileTechReview Even if I don't get around to posting much here, I lurk.

Try the free Adobe Reader from the market for PDFs too. It might just be my eyes, but I find it renders text a tiny bit darker which I like. Coming from the world of E-ink readers, even the Kindle DX Graphite, I have to say the Xoom is the best PDF experience on an LCD-based tablet or eReader. That said, the Xoom is clearly about much more than just reading (not that reading isn't important but I don't think lots of folks spend $600 to $800 solely to read books).

For those wondering about text clarity, the Xoom has a 160ppi pixel density compared to 169 for the Nook Color and 132ppi for the iPad. It's plenty sharp, though contrast isn't as high as the iPad's. The screen size means it's the Kindle DX of LCD readers which is lovely, though I still find I use my Nook Color for daily reading. Mostly because it lacks the distractions of twitter, Facebook and email . But not everyone has such as hectic an online life as I do! Nor does everyone have the luxury of owning both.

The LTE upgrade requires that you send in the device to Moto. They won't tear apart or exchange the Xoom in a Verizon store. I've heard that the SD card slot is a driver issue waiting on Google for Honeycomb. From taking it apart, the slot looks fully wired.
Love your voice, and reviews, of course!

Lisa,
Would you say the PDF experience on the Xoom is better than the iPad?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #113
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Thanks, jcampo
I find the fonts sharper and less pixelated/grainy on the Xoom, at least when using iBooks on the iPad to read PDFs. That's probably largely due to the higher pixel density on the Xoom. It's also so easy to get PDFs onto an Android device and use a variety of apps to display them (not meaning to start a platform war here).
Old 03-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #114
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Love your voice, and reviews, of course!

Lisa,
Would you say the PDF experience on the Xoom is better than the iPad?
Agreed. It was this review that finally pushed me off the edge. Of course I jumped gladly.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Thanks, jcampo
I find the fonts sharper and less pixelated/grainy on the Xoom, at least when using iBooks on the iPad to read PDFs. That's probably largely due to the higher pixel density on the Xoom. It's also so easy to get PDFs onto an Android device and use a variety of apps to display them (not meaning to start a platform war here).
There are FAR better apps than "iBooks" for reading PDFs on an iPad. The best is perhaps "Goodreader". Superb app - you really should take a look at it if you aren't familiar with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #116
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Yes, I have Goodreader ($5) and Stanza (free) on our iPad as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #117
jocampo
Layback feline

I find Goodreader and RepliGo head to head. Both are awesome products, but Goodreader probably is a bit better in my opinion.

I would like to see myself RepliGo in action on one of the new 10" Android Tablets, like Xoom. The iPad screen size and Goodreader is just a strong and awesome combination to read and heavily use PDFs files.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #118
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
For pdf try ezPDF. It's $1.99, remembers your page, can automatically remove margins, has night mode, other features. It has never crashed me on any pdf.

I used it on Samsung tab, now on xoom.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #119
kennyc

So, thought I'd read in bed using the Xoom last night....unfortunately I forgot to load the book I'm reading - "Stiff" by Mary Roach on it. but since the book was from Amazon. I just brought up the Kindle app, went to my account at Amazon and downloaded it. Never had to get out of bed an though some say it is too heavy to hold and read like that, it worked find for me.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #120
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Waiting until Motorola ships units with the 4G installed - and gets FLASH and the SD card working (neither of these work at the moment I understand but are waiting for a future upgrade "in a few weeks"). But it certainly looks inviting!

I stopped at my local Best Buy yesterday and tried the Xoom the the original iPad side by side. Xoom is nice - yet the old iPad seemed cleaner spiffier easier somehow. Waiting until after the Fri March 11th fury to get back to check out the new iPad. It is hard to argue against those 65,000 iPad apps - but also tough to argue against the openness of Android and the Xoom. Will be interesting to see other Android Honeycomb tablets come out this year, as well was watching Honeycomb as it matures in future upgrades.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote