Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #106
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's ironic , today I just sold my Ipad and repurchased a Kindle.

Reason:

Multiple, but here we go.

1: The Ipad was just too big and too heavy to read in bed.

2: The Iphone4 (which I also have) has replaced much of what I bought the Ipad for.

3: The ability to purchase multiple books from different companies was why I went with the Ipad, only, Ibooks hasn't panned out, B&N isn't competitive appwise, and much of what I read is on Amazon at the same or lower prices.

4: Battery life far surpasses the Ipad.

It's kinda funny how I've gone from Sony, to Kindle, to Ipad, back to Kindle.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #107
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
It's ironic , today I just sold my Ipad and repurchased a Kindle.

Reason:

Multiple, but here we go.

1: The Ipad was just too big and too heavy to read in bed.

2: The Iphone4 (which I also have) has replaced much of what I bought the Ipad for.

3: The ability to purchase multiple books from different companies was why I went with the Ipad, only, Ibooks hasn't panned out, B&N isn't competitive appwise, and much of what I read is on Amazon at the same or lower prices.

4: Battery life far surpasses the Ipad.

It's kinda funny how I've gone from Sony, to Kindle, to Ipad, back to Kindle.
Ouch. Well, at least you've ended up with what works best for you.

I figure a reading device requires a good stretch of test driving, so I wouldn't sell my existing device unless I knew for sure that the new one worked well. I bought my iPad early, because I figured I could resell for profit while demand still outstripped supply, if it didn't work well for me.

My Kindle 2 has sat unused for months and I'm just about to give it to someone who'll appreciate it.

Cheers to everyone reading the way that suits 'em best.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #108
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Heh, I like being part of the Apple cult. We're all just one big happy family.
Have you tried their latest device? The iRack?
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #109
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I love that video.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #110
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Lack of Flash would stop me
If you want to do things on a tablet that requires flash, then the iPad is not for YOU.

Quote:
Plenty of people need Flash

And plenty of people don't. It works both ways.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #111
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Ouch. Well, at least you've ended up with what works best for you.
Bingo.

It amazes me that the anti-iPad crowd is so intensely focused on what others will or will not be able to do. Focus...on...yourself.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #112
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Having read over 30 books on my iPad since I got it in April, I would hope I count as someone using it for "serious book reading". I used my iPad for all of my 7 weeks of training for my new job, that too counts as "serious reading".

My battery lasts "all day". I cannot imagine reading for 10-12 hours straight, and THEN needing to read even more such that my iPad would fail me as a reader due to the battery.

I simply plug it in at night when I go to bed.

Or perhaps "serious reading" is when you go off into the wilderness where there is no electricity.

Nonny
Ok, maybe 'serious' was a bit harsh. I have read books on my IPad too and enjoyed the experience however I was giving my personal opinion. I have found my Kindle suits my reading style a lot more than the IPad because I don't have to charge it every night.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #113
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figwit View Post
Ok, maybe 'serious' was a bit harsh. I have read books on my IPad too and enjoyed the experience however I was giving my personal opinion. I have found my Kindle suits my reading style a lot more than the IPad because I don't have to charge it every night.
For me it wasn't battery life, it was a screen issue. Lighted screens really hurt my eyes and head, so the iPad wasn't going to work as an e-reader for me.

Yes, I know some prefer LCD.

The issue we often run into in threads like this, IMO, is that some people state opinions as fact.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #114
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
I always get such a chuckle out of non-owners of Ipads telling me why I shouldn't buy one.
Uhh.. they're actually commenting on why they wouldn't get one. I don't think anyone cares why you get one
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #115
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
It all boils down to what you want out of a reader... my preference is the Kindle. Personally I see no use even buying an ereader if you don't buy one that is decent quality like some of these aluratek and cheap quality readers...

Personally I see that an iPad = laptop. I have a laptop too with an ebook reader program. Thats why I bought a Kindle, so the laptop can be used like a laptop, and the reader like a reader, not trying t confuse or expect one to act like another.

Last edited by screwballl; 12-27-2010 at 04:51 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #116
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Uhh.. they're actually commenting on why they wouldn't get one. I don't think anyone cares why you get one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=19
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #117
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
And the subject of the thread is????
Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #118
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh, don't get me wrong. If I traveled more for work, an ipad would be awesome. I'd love it. But I switched jobs, and the new one doesn't send me around as much. Add into that the weight, and the fact that it can be so distracting to have 500 apps + books on one device.. and I found I wasn't reading. I was playing video games. Or browsing the web. Or faffing about on twitter.

It is funny that I was an early adopter to the K1. And the Sony. And the Ipad. And now I'm coming back to where I started. Man, I'd save a ton of money if I just got content
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #119
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
It is funny that I was an early adopter to the K1. And the Sony. And the Ipad. And now I'm coming back to where I started. Man, I'd save a ton of money if I just got content

You mean instead of buying new devices?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
All I know is that between a Kindle, an iPad, and a desktop computer, all my current needs are met. I'm happy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote