Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #106
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Dulin's Books,
an alternative for Adobe for pdf?
And how zooming, reflowing, margins?
yes PocketBook has always had an alternative "pdfviewer" it was missing from the initial software - at least the ones I have been using. It has returned in this update and brought with it the promised enhanced reflow which reflows the pics. along with the text.

all i have been able to check so far this morning but that in itself is a huge leap. no one else has this ability. all other readers drop the pics/diagrams when using reflow.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #107
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Dulin's Books,
Great. In other words, you prefer the white one for reading, it is easier on the eyes, especially, close to the edges of the screen?
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #108
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes definitely for me. I know others prefer a black border but I like havin the white/pearl device as an extension of the page.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #109
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I keep hearing horror stories about 2.0.3 final, how the device becomes very unstable, freezing, rebooting, becoming a useless brick even.
And yet, I want that pdf viewer!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #110
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I can not confirm horror stories. 2.0.3 final is much better than 2.0.2 for me. The pdf viewer is really slow. Turning page in reflow mode takes ages. But the text looks sharper than in Adobe.
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #111
parkher
Evangelist

I am using now not 2.0.2 but 2.0.3 beta. So I am hesitating about switching to 2.0.3 final.
Besides, not sure to which one: CIS, EURO or NA
My current 2.0.3 EURO beta has only English keyboard.

2.0.3 final is very different, and first of all, 2.0.3 beta does not have that pdf viewer.

Adobe shows reflowed pdfs often without any left and top margins whatsoever.
I hope this new viewer does better. On a 9.7" screen we can afford margins.

Last edited by parkher; 12-16-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #112
Dulin's Books
Wizard

can you link to teh horror stories? i havent had any freezes at all on the beta or the final 2.0.3 . granted i have only used final today but i havent seen problems reported
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #113
parkher
Evangelist

They are in this Russian language forum, and the problems are with 2.0.3 CIS final,
not sure if the same is with EURO and NA.
I am not a Russian myself but I feel like there I am closer to the makers of the device and I'm getting more of the inside scoop. Maybe I'm wrong.
If you understand Russian, just read several last pages (from the day 2.0.3 was released):

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

BTW, I am still using 2.0.3 EURO beta and it is very stable. That is why I am reluctant to switch to a potentially less stable final.

Last edited by parkher; 12-16-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #114
Dulin's Books
Wizard

i read it through google translate - but i've been a member and reading that forum for over a year and I can get the point of most posts. hadnt read it recently thanks for the link
Old 12-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #115
parkher
Evangelist

There is an insane number of e-books in Russian.
And not only of Russian authors.
For example:
So far I was able to find like 21 books of Erle Stanley Gardner in English,
but in Russian - 212, you are welcome. Ten times more, probably all of them.
It drives me crazy, I cannot bring myself to read translations, I only read Russian authors in Russian.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #116
parkher
Evangelist

The on/off button was not working, because its micro switch broke off. Both glue and soldering (rather its pins). Or perhaps it was not properly glued in in the first place and hanging in the air.
Because from the very beginning the button was protruding a few mm compared to the other unit, I even liked it, it was easier for my fingers to find it. I am guessing, therefore the amplitude of the push on it was not limited by the edge of the board (as probably normally is), the whole force/amplitude of the push had to be taken by this tiny micro switch.
Anyway, I can fix it, but it would be easier if I could get an identical new switch rather than to use the same one with no pins left to speak of. An additional complication is that it has to be glued and soldered to the inside of the board, so the board (possibly, with the screen) has to be removed. Well, perhaps it might be enough to lift the corner, but because the whole screen seems to be lifting as well, there is a danger of breaking its glass if it remains fixed at some other points. Anyway, I already unfastened and lifted that corner without damaging the screen, enough to get a good look and possibly enough to fix it. For now, I left the outer button removed so I can easily perform on/off with an appropriate metal object. And I can simply solder there two wires for a temporary switch.

Last edited by parkher; 12-18-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #117
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
The on/off button was not working, because its micro switch broke off. Both glue and soldering (rather its pins). Or perhaps it was not properly glued in in the first place and hanging in the air.
Because from the very beginning the button was protruding a few mm compared to the other unit, I even liked it, it was easier for my fingers to find it. I am guessing, therefore the amplitude of the push on it was not limited by the edge of the board (as probably normally is), the whole force/amplitude of the push had to be taken by this tiny micro switch.
Anyway, I can fix it, but it would be easier if I could get an identical new switch rather than to use the same one with no pins left to speak of. An additional complication is that it has to be glued and soldered to the inside of the board, so the board (possibly, with the screen) has to be removed. Well, perhaps it might be enough to lift the corner, but because the whole screen seems to be lifting as well, there is a danger of breaking its glass if it remains fixed at some other points. Anyway, I already unfastened and lifted that corner without damaging the screen, enough to get a good look and possibly enough to fix it. For now, I left the outer button removed so I can easily perform on/off with an appropriate metal object. And I can simply solder there two wires for a temporary switch.
Want me to check if we got such a micro switch? I'll ask our technician and PM you.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #118
parkher
Evangelist

mtravellerh, please, thank you!
At least if you could learn the exact model so that perhaps I can order it somewhere else.
I suspect service centers of PB just replace the whole screen+pcb assemblies in such cases.

.................................................. ..

Here is how I read in bed, the side angle of the 902 adjusted to match the angle of my head (anywhere from vertical to fully horizontal), no back angle (vertical, even slight negative angle - hanging over tilting forward - which is needed, back angle is possible, of course).

Fixed firmly to the stand. Charging while in this position - possible.
The stand is partially folded (90 degrees V to fit the reader).
This V itself can go from L to V to L backwards (so the side angle of the book: from vertical - to 45 degrees - to horizontal).

It works with the cover folded back.

Without the cover - never tried, looks dangerous even to try:
- it would be too thin to be held firmly,
- it would not be possible to adjust for charging,
- the device itself is sort of slippery without the cover, so again, more difficult to fix it to the stand reliably (again, the device is almost hanging down from the stand, the stand is a few degrees over the vertical position - this is best for reading in bed)
The stand is suitable for reading in a sitting position, of course - that is the purpose of its design.

I am using Proel RSM600 Professional Music Stand, as I happened to own it already.

Here is a picture, I took it originally for a russian language forum, so it shows a book in russian, if you wonder what alphabet it is (white balance not adjusted, sorry):

My stand has two pins for holding the book, and the picture shows one on top of the book, another one - between the cover and the book.
Both can be placed on top of the book when not charging, but better still to insert both between the cover and the book: they stay firmly there, they are not visible, it looks better, and you get a slightly better forward angle (compared to the picture).
The stand then holds the cover, and the cover holds the book.

It is a very safe way to read a book in bed - otherwise, if you fall asleep, you might drop it to the floor or to roll on top of it and crush it.

The remaining thing to solve: a remote for the book? For turning pages at least.
It is also needed for musicians when playing with both hands busy - a pedal for turning pages back and forth.
Is it possible to implement it through blue tooth already present in the book?
I think so, in the next firmware maybe? Or just to add an application.

Last edited by parkher; 12-19-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #119
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Can someone try how much time does the pocketbook 902 need to open a PDF of nearly 15 MB and 1000 pages?

Thanks a lot.
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #120
TheBlackAdder
TheBlackAdder began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
Hi. I just received my new 902 courtesy of Waldemar, and after a few hours of playing I am quite happy with the device. I am using the latest (2.0.3) EURO firmware, installing it was the very first thing I did. I have a couple of questions:

1) According to other people in this thread there should be an additional pdf reader, pdfviewer, but I don't see any choice of reader: all my pdfs are opened with what looks to me like the same application, and I don't even know how to tell which one it is. I have copied the extensions.cfg file (as per the instructions in other thread) and played with it, changing the order of the pdf readers, but it doesn' seem to make any difference. How do you guys know which application is opening your PDFs? Context menus don't give me any choice of program to open them, either. It is as if I only had one reader installed.

2) Where is the web browser?? Under "Applications" I can only find a "games" folder. I have been able to open a browser going to bookland, but how do I open it if I want -for example- to start with a blank page? Isn't there a shortcut somewhere?

Thanks in advance!!
TheBlackAdder is offline   Reply With Quote