Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #106
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
My auto lighting quit working already.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #107
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
My auto lighting quit working already.
Must be unionized.

No seriously, it just doesn't work at all now?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #108
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks Skydog. Thanks for your thoughts on the Kobos too. I'm feeling really hopefully about the H20 and excited to get one. I love everything I've read about it, so here's hoping I can come away with a good one. I don't seem to have the best of luck with these things, but here's hoping! lol.

Sorry you received a bad one too. Mine is exactly the same. Two-toned screen. Yellow at the top and the bottom is blueish white. Pitiful. I'm pretty disgusted with it honestly, but trying not to spill my sourness all over the thread. Seriously though, what is the matter with your quality control, Amazon? Urgh.
Sparklemotion, I have used the PW1, Aura, PW2, and have now picked up the H2O because the Voyage can't even be ordered in Canada yet (totally freaking crazy!). The H2O is easily found in stores up here including Chapters/Indigo, FutureShop, and BestBuy and each usually has one on display to check out. If you are coming to Canada, Chapters, BestBuy, Canada and Future Shop websites will show store inventory for the H2O's online (Chapters will even tell you how many units are in-stock for each store).

Initially, I thought the H2O would be passed onto my family once I could get a Voyage, but since I have used the H2O, I have really, really liked it. Easy integration of collections with Calibre, simple patching so you can use custom fonts, line spacing, and margins (way, way easier than the patching I have to use on the Paperwhites!). Also, the increased size allows for more text and the 262 dpi is better than the PW's. I imagine that with a good screen, the Voyage's 300 dpi will be great too except if you want to show more text, the text has to be smaller to fit on the physical dimensions of the Voyage screen compared to the H2O.

The lighting on the H2O is better than the PW2 I have. If you look at my post here, you can see the lighting and screen of my H2O vs my PW2.

I know you like custom fonts from our previous discussions of custom embedded PW2 fonts and that is really great about the H2O - total font control. You can customize your own fonts to render without adjustment or you can use "typegenius" a modifiable font renderer in the Kobo device firmware to modify the font weight and spacing on the fly.

I am sorry to hear that some people have received Voyage's with screens that did not meet their expectations. That is totally disappointing. I know that some of the H2O's also have bad screens or lighting issues (josieb1 went through 3 returns I think), and I remember the threads for the PW1 (and some with the PW2) with lighted screen complaints. You would think that the QC of the carta screens and LEDs would be higher by now after more than a year's production.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who has got a good Voyage and are happy with their new toys

Last edited by slantybard; 10-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #109
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Flush bezel: is great for me, the screen looks amazing with that flush bezel and glossy finish.

Power button: I HATE IT!!!!! What!?! Why did you put it on the back!? I could have put one of several covers on. I can't. It is so awkward and stupid. Put it at the bottom like always, not the back! Good grief! What if I want to hold it by the back? What then!?? Stupid... grr...
Agreed on both points. I HATE the power button in the back. Because my PW case is auto on off, I could care less where that one sits, but using the Voyage caseless is a real hassle - the button placement is just not intuitive.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #110
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Must be unionized.

No seriously, it just doesn't work at all now?
It quit working. I reset the device a few times, no dice. Regardless what the ambient light level was, the kindle never adjusted.

I talked to kindle support and after doing so I have a hunch I know what the bug is. When the device is factory reset (which I did), auto brightness is not checked. This actually seems odd to me since it's one of the selling points of the device... nevertheless, when auto brightness is checked, it works for me. When it started acting wonky is when I manually adjusted the light levels while auto brightness was selected.

I may be wrong, I don't care to confirm my theory and have to do another factory reset... so for now if I want to manually adjust the light levels I am unchecking the auto brightness box. So far it's working great. I reported it as a possible software glitch.

Last edited by positively4th; 10-21-2014 at 11:04 PM.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #111
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'd prefer to get one that leaned yellowish (evenly, of course). As a heavy night reader, that'd create less strain for me. Is that a common preference?
That is what I would prefer, but pee color would be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I prefer the cooler. Hard to please everyone. LOL
Maybe they should sort their LEDs better, and make a range of ASIN for the range of color temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I'd prefer oure white, but if I had to pick between a little blue and a little cream, I'd pick cream. One of my PW2s looked like pee, so too much yellow if horrible for me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #112
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is what I would prefer, but pee color would be bad.
j.p.s, you HAD to quote my typos, too?!?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #113
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mine seems to have no lighting issues....more even lighting than my PW2.

Funny how people like different things, I really like the power button on the back. It seems to be in a very convenient spot and now I don't have to worry about it turning off randomly at the gym because it is sitting on the power button.

I like how light and small it is, and the text is crisp and clear. Not sure it's worth the extra $$, but I do like it.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #114
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
j.p.s, you HAD to quote my typos, too?!?!
I didn't notice. Sorry.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #115
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe they should sort their LEDs better, and make a range of ASIN for the range of color temperatures.
If it was different shades of LED's would the variation not be from one side of the screen to the other rather than bottom to top? Since the LED's are at the bottom shining up, I can't see how one being a different shade would affect the whole top and none of the bottom.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #116
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If it was different shades of LED's would the variation not be from one side of the screen to the other rather than bottom to top? Since the LED's are at the bottom shining up, I can't see how one being a different shade would affect the whole top and none of the bottom.
Good point, but I also don't see how the screen itself would unevenly affect the shade.

Someone posted earlier not being able to spot the light sources. Maybe the light comes from more than one edge.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #117
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I have now got a Kindle PW1, a Kobo Aura, a Kobo Aura H2O, and a Kindle Voyage. I'm passing the PW1 on to my husband, leaving me with three that are all nearly perfect examples of their breed. I'm keeping them all, and yet I'm still not totally satisfied

I have loved my Kobo Aura since the day I got it. I found super-slim, lightweight, slightly rubbery feeling cases for it at AliExpress so it's comfortable to hold, practically weightless, and takes up almost no space in my purse.

Now if I could have one exactly like it but with the higher resolution of the H2O and Voyage, then THAT would be my perfect ereader
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #118
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Really. Honoust. Truly.
LOL I finally saw a post about a defective screen.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #119
BobDyl
BobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I also have the top half yellow, bottom half white problem.

Question: is this a bad unit or are all of them like this, with just some users noticing and others not?
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #120
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
I really like the power button on the back. It seems to be in a very convenient spot and now I don't have to worry about it turning off randomly
I had to add pads to my lap holder because it would randomly turn off my PW1. I'm thrilled to have the button on the back.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote