Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #106
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Device: looking
Does anyone know what the key codes are for the side buttons on the afterglow 2? They are not working in my favored ereader app for the next page and previous page. The developer says he can add them no problem but I need the key codes. How can I acquire this information?
ereader25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #107
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Easiest way to be sure is ask onyx support and with Arta posting here, maybe they'll respond.

My general impression based on behavior in other apps is that they might be tuned to page up/page down (codes here). I've found them useful in scrolling through lists, like my apps in the android app store. But I wouldn't go on my general impression.

Also let us know if it does get added and which reader it is. FWIW, Moon+ responds to them. I haven't found another that does though.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #108
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

I actually found the app KeyEvent Display does a good job capturing the left and right button key codes (92 and 93 respectively)
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #109
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader25 View Post
I actually found the app KeyEvent Display does a good job capturing the left and right button key codes (92 and 93 respectively)
Cool. That is indeed page up and page down. Be sure to let us know if it gets added and what readerware you're on. I'm especially keen to be able to read library books using the buttons.

EDIT: For a short term solution, Multilanguage Keymap Redefiner (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eymapredefiner) can detect and remap the buttons to something other readers will detect. I just made my right button emulate volume down, and it works in the kindle app (you have to check a box in kindle settings to use volume keys). I made the left button a dpad and it turns the pages forward in Overdrive.

I don't have a back key, but I'm still pretty happy. My 3 main reading apps all work and I can page forward on either side in Moon+ at least. I bet there's something that works this way that could send different codes depending on which app you're in.

Last edited by Marseille; 01-25-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added keymap redifiner info
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #110
ereader25
Enthusiast

Cool, I will check that out in the meantime.

The app I use is PageTurner. It's a solid piece of software with nice sync feature for reading progress between devices, and the developer is super responsive and supportive. He was the only developer I found willing to maintain official support for the old androids (my rooted nook simple touch) in the current version of the app. I expect there will be an update to support the afterglow 2 soon now that I've shared the id codes for the buttons in question.
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #111
Root Novice
Root Novice began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Afterglow 2
Memory full

Quote:
I just received my tablet today and was able to root it successfully using the file ebooker linked.
For anyone who has rooted the Afterglow 2, can you help me out? I've never rooted a device before, but I will give it a shot if it can fix my issue with this device.

I cannot figure out how to move apps and data over to a 32GB external SD card. The Afterglow 2 recognizes that I have almost 30 GB of storage available, but it won’t allow the data to be stored on the external SD card, just internal memory. Thus, with just a few apps and the associated data, the memory is full. (I think this is the same issue experienced in this video review I saw)

Is there a way to allow the user to browse to the path they would like used for storing their apps/data? Thanks!
Root Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #112
ereader25
Enthusiast

I like the combination of Link2SD and FolderMount for this. Lots of tutorials around for using them together.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #113
ereader25
Enthusiast

Has anyone had luck modifying settings to increase battery life? What all can I do to make my battery last longer? I used no frills CPU to set to conservative and noop, but still using battery fast.

Is there a way to make it so the backlight does not come on automatically?

Also, I am using a lot of apps that use sync - one note, dropbox, pocket, gmail, ever note, etc. I assume these probably drain the battery too, any way to schedule their activity so its not always running in the background draining battery, but still can keep my files up to date?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #114
ereader25
Enthusiast

Or any battery monitoring apps you recommend?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #115
Root Novice
Root Novice began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Afterglow 2
Another Question

Quote:
I like the combination of Link2SD and FolderMount for this. Lots of tutorials around for using them together.
So, this would require to be rooted first, correct? Is it an easy process to root the Afterglow 2? Like I said, I've never rooted any device, so I'm not really sure how to go about it. I did see earlier on this forum a file to download, but is it pretty self explanatory? Or are there certain steps that have to be followed? Thanks so much for your help...
Root Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 AM   #116
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Novice View Post
So, this would require to be rooted first, correct? Is it an easy process to root the Afterglow 2? Like I said, I've never rooted any device, so I'm not really sure how to go about it. I did see earlier on this forum a file to download, but is it pretty self explanatory? Or are there certain steps that have to be followed? Thanks so much for your help...
Just install 'Root Master' from one of my posts earlier.

It's as you already mentioned, self explanatory and it doesn't require any rooting skills.

After you have installed and executed the app, it is recommended to use a Root Checker in order to check if the rooting was successful.

eb00ker
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #117
ereader25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Novice View Post
Yes these require root.

Like Ebooker said just use the root master apk he posted. Just click the button that has the word Root in it, then at the next two prompts click the button that is not cancel (it's all in Chinese so I think it says cancel, it was in the same first menu as the root button)
Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 AM   #118
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
Quote:
Has anyone had luck modifying settings to increase battery life? What all can I do to make my battery last longer? I used no frills CPU to set to conservative and noop, but still using battery fast.
According to the users manual the main trick to preserve the battery is turning the device off . They say there is no difference in battery usage between wake and sleep mode.

Quote:
Is there a way to make it so the backlight does not come on automatically?
I have the newest firmware installed (1.6.6 from 21st of Jan) and this bug has not been solved.

Quote:
Also, I am using a lot of apps that use sync - one note, dropbox, pocket, gmail, ever note, etc. I assume these probably drain the battery too, any way to schedule their activity so its not always running in the background draining battery, but still can keep my files up to date?
Does that happen even with WiFi off? My impression is the background apps do not drain too much when there is no connectivity enabled (which is my case in most of time).

Quote:
Or any battery monitoring apps you recommend?
GSam Battery Monitor is what I use.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #119
bagheera
bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bagheera can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: boyue t62d
why afterglow 2? how about a root guide video?

howdy,

living in turkey and bought this item from amazon. since amazon has no delivery to turkey, buying it is a real pain in the a**.

so why do i want it? because i think the e-readers with numbered reading applications are insufficient.

if you are trying to read a pdf file, you have to deal with irritating auto-crap abilities. if you want to read an epub or a mobi and your mother tongue is not english you have to deal with time-consuming dictionary usages.

does any of you, dear e-reader manufacturers, heard of a simple reading application (with dictionary support) named "zo reader"? tried it and saw how easy to make use of its dictionary support? know that how ebookdroid (which is another application) smoothly handles the pdf files?

that is why i think the e-readers with open android environment are revolutionary.

and that is why i salute arca tech. but... the reviews i read about the item are quite worrisome. the manufacturer states that the product has 4 gb of storage. but the storage that alloted to applications is limited. so;

1) is it possible to invalidate that "barrier" with rooting?

2) since i do not know how to root and am afraid of ruining the device, is it possible, for one of you guys, to do a how-to-root-guide or something like that?

thanks.

Last edited by bagheera; 01-29-2015 at 07:00 AM.
bagheera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #120
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheera View Post
howdy,

living in turkey and bought this item from amazon. since amazon has no delivery to turkey, buying it is a real pain in the a**.

so why do i want it? because i think the e-readers with numbered reading applications are insufficient.

if you are trying to read a pdf file, you have to deal with irritating auto-crap abilities. if you want to read an epub or a mobi and your mother tongue is not english you have to deal with time-consuming dictionary usages.

does any of you, dear e-reader manufacturers, heard of a simple reading application (with dictionary support) named "zo reader"? tried it and saw how easy to make use of its dictionary support? know that how ebookdroid (which is another application) smoothly handles the pdf files?

that is why i think the e-readers with open android environment are revolutionary.

and that is why i salute arca tech. but... the reviews i read about the item are quite worrisome. the manufacturer states that the product has 4 gb of storage. but the storage that alloted to applications is limited. so;

1) is it possible to invalidate that "barrier" with rooting?

2) since i do not know how to root and am afraid of ruining the device, is it possible, for one of you guys, to do a how-to-root-guide or something like that?

thanks.

I agree with your reasoning, however you need to understand that there are disadvantages:
1. From my experience (and judging from the internet), Onyx's quality control is worse than of devices such as Kindle and Kobo. Having said that - the service of both European distributors is excellent, from my experience.
2. The out-of-the-box experience is sub-optimal, as it's assumed that you can configure everything to your liking

As for a rooting guide:
1. Download Towelroot v1 from here.
2. Copy the apk to your device.
3. Run the apk.
4. Click on the "Make it rain button".
5. Your device either reboots or shuts down (looks like it's frozen). If it does not reboot, reboot it yourself (by holding the power button for more than 10 seconds).
6. Download the SuperSU app from Google Play.
7. You're rooted
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote