Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #106
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Yeah, right.

>> ... craigslist ... incredible deal saved me twenty dollars!!!!!!!

When will we ever learn? When will we ever ... learn?

If I had lost my mind ... or drank too many Pina Coladas ... and made this transaction, I sure would be too embarrassed to admit my blatant stupidity in a public message forum.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #107
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... craigslist ... incredible deal saved me twenty dollars!!!!!!!

When will we ever learn? When will we ever ... learn?

If I had lost my mind ... or drank too many Pina Coladas ... and made this transaction, I sure would be too embarrassed to admit my blatant stupidity in a public message forum.

Just my opinion, of course.
Maybe $20 isnt enough, but one can find great deals on craigslist, so I would hardly call this stupidity.

OP needs to sell as is on ebay stating it is blacklisted and then buy one through amazon.
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #108
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Too bad the wrapper has been handled. The seller probably left prints all over it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #109
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
So there are no was you can say that one way is the morally correct one.
Huh? Morality and the law are not the same thing.

Laws are passed and repealed constantly. Morality remains constant.

There are no loopholes in morality although many people pretend to find them.

I sometimes do things that are not morally correct although I try not to justify them or complain when karma comes back and bites me on the ass.

Helen
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #110
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, I think he should just ask Amazon what exactly they expect him to do with it. If there was theft and Amazon demands he return it, he should return it. But if they don't want it to be returned, then they should reset it and make it usable for him. What is there to gain by having a crippled device out there?
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #111
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Huh? Morality and the law are not the same thing.
Exactly. And since different moral reasoning can lead to totally different laws we have existence proof that there exist different moral reasoning concerning this question and different reasoning that a lot of people accept. So just claiming that one action is the moral thing to do is misleading. It is bettr to give alternative way to reason morally about this question and then each one can form there own opinion. Pretending that the moral question is clear cut seems to me to be dishonest.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #112
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
So if I steal an Ehrenstral painting from a museum and sell it to you (Honest officer, I just thought it was a nice old picture.) you, in Sweden, will now be the new owner?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #113
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
So if I steal an Ehrenstral painting from a museum and sell it to you (Honest officer, I just thought it was a nice old picture.) you, in Sweden, will now be the new owner?
The laws have been changed. But for the old laws it depended on the situation. Did you really buy it in good faith? If so you did not loose any money. But I do not think there was any case with famous paintings so I do not know if there was some special rule that you had to sell it back to the original owner or to the insurance company if the object was a unique painting. But if it was a car, a boat or a bicycle it was yours.

These laws have been changed so the laws are now more like they are in the US.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #114
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"These laws have been changed so the laws are now more like they are in the US."

Too bad. I was hoping you might have that painting.

I briefly worked in the museum (16 - 17 years before) where this one was stolen.

That was one of my favorites. And if I could catch them, I would solemnly swear that I had no idea how their legs got broken.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #115
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I think there is precedent for giving back paintings, isn't there? For example, many paintings looted by the Nazis ended up in museums and private collections of people who may have paid for them in good faith. Nevertheless, the true owners (or more likely their descendants/heirs) have been suing successfully for their return. Here you do have 2 sets of victims, so you have to prioritize them. It seems as though the original victim is the one who gets restitution. While there is no perfect solution, this seems like the best possible one.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #116
eisegesis
Banned
eisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enough

Device: huh?
Jeebus again. The OP asked a simple question... "Do I have to register?"

What possessed you [language edited by moderation team] to go off on a morality lecture and debate?

Last edited by dreams; 09-28-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: language edited by moderation team
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #117
SameOldStory
My True Self

But we like being self-righteous [language edited by moderation team].

Last edited by dreams; 09-28-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: language edited by moderation team
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
That is just stupid, and just bad advice. He has a good enough story to just get away with a slap on the wrist.
That's what it is, a story. He know knows it's stolen property and thus he did receive stolen goods and is knowingly keeping it.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #119
eisegesis
Banned
eisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enough

Device: huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
But we like being self-righteous [language edited by moderation team].
Atta boy!

Last edited by dreams; 09-28-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: language edited by moderation team
Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Well, I think he should just ask Amazon what exactly they expect him to do with it. If there was theft and Amazon demands he return it, he should return it. But if they don't want it to be returned, then they should reset it and make it usable for him. What is there to gain by having a crippled device out there?
I for one would be interested in seeing how this scenario would play out.
Closed Thread