Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #106
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
In the context of the original post, I see more in what the Que was doing than just it's screen technology. That's the part they aught to bring out as an iPad app.

I don't see much of a case for dual large screen devices like the Kno or the Irex...but I can see an app that takes advantage of dual ipads. That way you have the single iPad for 99.9% of folks, and just use a second iPad for the very few who need more. There are already games that make use of an iPad and multiple iPhone's.

My bible app from Olive Tree already let's me have two books open and I can choose how much of the screen goes to each book. It also has linked books such that wherever I am in the bible, the appropriate section of a commentary is displayed. I could see something similar for text books and bibliographies. It's just a matter of time before such apps appear.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #107
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
I would also like to see some kind of intuitive interface that could emulate flipping through the pages of a book, it will take something really creative for that but it has to be there, because there's nothing I miss more from a single reader than being able to get an overview of the book by skimming through it.

I very much like the ideas mentioned so far by other posters as well.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #108
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The problem with cloud computing is that you are assuming that the remote computers will be functioning and accessible at any time when you need them-- and you know what they say about people who assume.
That too.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #109
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
The problem with cloud computing is that you are assuming that the remote computers will be functioning and accessible at any time when you need them-- and you know what they say about people who assume.
When you say “cloud computing”, do you really mean “cloud storage”? Are you referring to keeping files on a server somewhere and accessing that content remotely? I must say that the very idea of this to me is a huge step backwards. You will likely have to pay for the privilege, and pay per GB. You will likely have to pay for the bandwidth, uploading and downloading. You can’t be sure the content will be available when you need it. You can’t be certain that your content is secure and safe. You will have a delay in accessing the content while it downloads. This truly makes no sense to me at all.

SDHC cards are getting cheaper by the day. SDXC cards promise to hold lots and lots of data, although the price is still an issue for SDXC. USB thumb drives are dirt cheap, fast, and reliable. There is just no valid reason for “cloud storage” that I can think of...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #110
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
When you say “cloud computing”, do you really mean “cloud storage”? Are you referring to keeping files on a server somewhere and accessing that content remotely?
That is part of it. The whole trend is stupid and short-sighted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #111
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Come on guys, cloud computing stupid and shortsighted? It will be the only way to manage and cross sync our files across devices. I have had mobileme for a couple of years (which leaves a lot to be desired btw, but it's also the best albeit costly integrated cloud service) and I don't know how I would live without cross device syncing of my calendars, mail, notes, bookmarks, passwords etc, and the cloud storage to sync files too, and share files with others with ease. I feel you are unfair with such derogatory comments about the cloud. It's the future.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #112
DaveisTaken
DaveisTaken began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I would completely agree with the OP on this one.

Here has been my experience so far (I live in Australia).

I bought the ebook reader (kobo) thinking I could just buy books and put them on.

Got it home, went around a few forums and found this update which fixed a few problems, so I put the update on, it bricked my reader (probably user error, not sure).

I got a new reader and successfully did the update and went to download the application for getting books on the reader (I'm using a mac).
I was confused about how calibre gets into all this so I ended up using an angus and robertson app I think (or the kobo one I can't remember).
I downloaded the application and found that there are two I could use, I wasn't sure which one was best, so I just kept with one.

I then bought a book online thinking I could just chuck it on my reader and it would all work well, little did I know.
Because I had updated my reader, the books wouldn't go on there, some funny DRM error or something with the software, even though I had paid almost full price of a normal paperback for them.
I contacted Kobo and they said I had to wait for the vendor to update thier software to be compatible with the kobo or something before I could use the book on the kobo.
I haven't bothered trying again, it's just too hard and confusing.

The upshot of this all is is that I will never ever buy an ebook again, unless it's well price (no ebook should cost more that $AUD10 ($USD12)) and I know it's a downloadable copy with no DRM.

I think I will be waiting a while...
DaveisTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #113
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I agree, there need to be big stickers all over the e-Readers in the stores to prevent buyers remorse... like they do with TVs.

Kindle (big sticker saying WILL NOT DISPLAY EPUB)
Sony (Big Sticker)
iPad (If using for eBooks BEWARE! only compatible with Blah and Blah)
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #114
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
Come on guys, cloud computing stupid and shortsighted? It will be the only way to manage and cross sync our files across devices. I have had mobileme for a couple of years (which leaves a lot to be desired btw, but it's also the best albeit costly integrated cloud service) and I don't know how I would live without cross device syncing of my calendars, mail, notes, bookmarks, passwords etc, and the cloud storage to sync files too, and share files with others with ease. I feel you are unfair with such derogatory comments about the cloud. It's the future.
When you lose all your files when a cloud service screws up or goes out of business, I'll be the one pointing and laughing.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #115
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
When you say “cloud computing”, do you really mean “cloud storage”? Are you referring to keeping files on a server somewhere and accessing that content remotely? I must say that the very idea of this to me is a huge step backwards. You will likely have to pay for the privilege, and pay per GB. You will likely have to pay for the bandwidth, uploading and downloading. You can’t be sure the content will be available when you need it. You can’t be certain that your content is secure and safe. You will have a delay in accessing the content while it downloads. This truly makes no sense to me at all.

SDHC cards are getting cheaper by the day. SDXC cards promise to hold lots and lots of data, although the price is still an issue for SDXC. USB thumb drives are dirt cheap, fast, and reliable. There is just no valid reason for “cloud storage” that I can think of...
Cloud storage is one aspect of cloud computing. Another is using applications (such as word processors, spread sheet programs, etc.) that are located online instead of on your own ccomputer. I feel the latter to be too unreliable right now, mostly due to a lack of complete broadband coverage. It also limits the choice of apps one can use. Mayhap sometime in the future but the technology just isn't there for reliable use yet.

Cloud storage, on the other hand, is very viable now, depending on the service one chooses. Fee storage is limited in size and, based on past history, not reliable. People have lost data when free services tanked with little or no warning. Most paid services, especially the one dedicated to automated backups, on the other hand, have been very reliable. While high speed business plans are expensive per GB, home plans are much more reasonable. The trade off is transfer rates are slower. Carbonite is $55/year for unlimited storage. Mozy is running $60/year, also for unlimited storage.

I'm using Carbonite and have been very happy with it. It backs up data only so it isn't for complete system back ups. The advantage to using a system like Carbonite is the back ups are completely automated and run in the background. Actual data transfers occur only when the computer is idle (unless you tell it to do an immediate backup) so there is no throttling of your system. Data is kept encrypted and is password protected but can be accessed from any computer anywhere that has a broadband connection. Cloud backup (not exactly storage because if you delete the info from your computer, it will also be eventually deleted online) has the advantage that if your computer and local back up are damaged, destroyed, or stolen, you can still retrieve your data from online.

USB sticks are fine as long as you have a very limited amount of data to store but are still subject to damage, destruction or theft. You also have to remember to put the data on the stick. I have 145 GB backed up on Carbonite right now. That's a lot of USB sticks. Cards are better; they take up less room and can be write protected. I also have a 160 GB external drive I use but it's just about filled up now. The drive in my computer is 1TB so I have the potential for one heckuvalot more to back up in the future.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #116
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
When you lose all your files when a cloud service screws up or goes out of business
^^^^^This^^^^^

Also, who owns the files? really? Just like the telco's selling phonenumbers to marketing companies, who's to say this won't happen with IP adress, email/spam.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #117
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Lady Fitzgerald & J.Strnad:

You're both absolutely right. before putting useles gadgets and stuff into the readers
(aka cameratitis - a common celphone disease) rhe manufacturers should better polish and refine their primary function - text presentation
heck thery dont even have unicode fully covered, not to speak about the plethora of additional typography data every professional otf carries nowdays and which is completely ignored by the reader's software.

harryE what you call cloud storage, every computer user calls a fileserver - that's not a really new idea, just a new buzzword and as cyguy pointed out as long as there isn't free highspeed (T2 speeds and faster) access available regardless where you are it's not a real option.

Just as the shortest connection between 2 points is a straight line, the simpliest connection between 2 devices next to each other would be rather a cable than a server in somewheristan.
Yes I CAN set up a fileserver, but if somebody d'tell me i absolutely need to do so, in order to get files from my home machines to $device i'd tell him to bother somebody else with such moronic device.
If he 'd tell me that said procedure works only with the device makers own fileservers, I'd tell him to descend back to the hells he arose from.

I prefer my own storage for my own files for the same reason I prefer my own furniture rather than the coin-fed storage walls on the train stations:
accessibility, storage/price ratio and privacy.

well at least i got proof that apples iDevices are green tech:
after having read some fans postings in this thread i turned greenish in the face
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #118
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
When you lose all your files when a cloud service screws up or goes out of business, I'll be the one pointing and laughing.
That's why you don't put all your eggs in one basket. both local and offsite backups are essential. Free online storage sites have a history of being unreliable. However, two paid online backup sites (similar to storage), Carbonite and Mozy, have had excellent track records and survived the economic turndown so will probably be around for a while. I use Carbonite but if they should go belly up and lose my files, I'll still have them on a local drive.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #119
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I have 145 GB backed up on Carbonite right now. That's a lot of USB sticks.
Or about 5 1/2 bucks worth of DVD-Rs. (Assuming that you fit 4 GB on each disc and you buy them at the very easy to find rate of 15 cents per disc.)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #120
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Or about 5 1/2 bucks worth of DVD-Rs. (Assuming that you fit 4 GB on each disc and you buy them at the very easy to find rate of 15 cents per disc.)
The only problem with burned disks is they deteriorate over time (burned disks are different from the commercially stamped disks used for music and movies). The cheaper the disk, the sooner they are likely to fail. They were handy for short term use and are still useful when inexpensive disposable media is wanted for transferring files but they are a poor choice for long term storage. Camera cards would be better for long term storage unless storing large amounts. Then SSDs would be better. HDDs pull a close second for large storage but are far more economical.

No matter the choice of media, multiple back ups (minimum one local and one off site) are essential in case damage or theft occurs to any of the back ups.