Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #106
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hi, cmbs, I'm glad you responded.

Actually, I find a number of websites confusing, as if put together by someone on a terminal dose of Ex-Lax. Look around the web and you should find a few that fit the definition of "cluttered" and "confusing" in their presentation.

I did not mention Manybooks as not being a clean-looking website. Can you tell me where I said that? I do, however, feel that Feedbooks offers a much better selection of books than manybooks; to me, the books at Feedbooks are more attractive than manybooks; and Feedbooks, to me, is a more robust site.

About your second paragraph, I confess to being confused, in not knowing what YOUR purpose is in asking me questions about MY purpose.

Sincerely,
Don

So you made a completely generic comment that lots of websites confuse you. In your opinion these sites are created by people on terminal doses of exlax who graduated from the Bugs Bunny's Three Week School of WebDesign. I'm not sure how that fits into this conversation. Will you explain?

I asked what websites confuse you, I didn't say you named one. You can see that if you read what I said. I thought maybe you were referring to Manybooks.net since that's what you seemed to be responding to.

You said that you feel that Feedbooks offers a much better selection of books than Manybooks.net. Manybooks.net offers over 23,000 books in 21 download file types plus online reading. Feedbooks doesn't have the number on their site that I could find, but I did a search and found 149 pages of 20 books each which totals 2,980 books (http://www.feedbooks.com/books/asc?page=149). Those come in 6 file types for downloading. I'm not sure that feelings have anything to do with it. Manybooks has a lot more books in a lot more file types. IE: a much better selection.

In all honesty, I don't want to go into what makes Feedbooks more "robust" because I don't want to pick apart these two excellent websites, at least not here and now. I have already given feedbooks some feedback on several problems I have with their website, for what it's worth. Different people have different ideas of what is important and what isn't when it comes to web design and user interface. Nothing wrong with that.

Again, the attractiveness of the books is a matter of personal opinion. I read the .mobi files from manybooks.net and I like them just fine. I could go into why I like them more than the ones from here, but why? If someone likes your books and can find the one they're looking for here, let them get it here.

My purpose is simple. Way back in post number 88 you said that "Harry asked a simple question, cmbs." and you said "I just don't understand your sense of persecution when someone asks you a question." When in fact Harry asked a clearly insincere question because it had already been answered. You yourself, in post #88, insist that I answer his (already answered) question, even after I pointed out that I'd already answered it.

I'd like to know if you have a valid explanation for your behavior, particularly considering your claim that you can't figure out why I feel attacked. So let's hear it. Why did you defend and reinforce his insincere question? Will you answer this time, or will you continue to dodge?

You pretend you want a sincere discussion, so here it is. Will you follow through?

Last edited by cmbs; 03-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #107
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I like this site

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot....0time%20offers

This is a subsite of the one Junior94 listed - it has the "ending soon" books. I check it often.
Thank you!

It's a search of my blog for books in the limited time offers category. I'm glad you like it.

Last edited by cmbs; 03-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #108
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
So you made a completely generic comment that lots of websites confuse you. In your opinion these sites are created by people on terminal doses of exlax who graduated from the Bugs Bunny's Three Week School of WebDesign. I'm not sure how that fits into this conversation. Will you explain?

I asked what websites confuse you, I didn't say you named one. You can see that if you read what I said. I thought maybe you were referring to Manybooks.net since that's what you seemed to be responding to.

You said that you feel that Feedbooks offers a much better selection of books than Manybooks.net. Manybooks.net offers over 23,000 books in 21 download file types plus online reading. Feedbooks doesn't have the number on their site that I could find, but I did a search and found 149 pages of 20 books each which totals 2,980 books (http://www.feedbooks.com/books/asc?page=149). Those come in 6 file types for downloading. I'm not sure that feelings have anything to do with it. Manybooks has a lot more books in a lot more file types. IE: a much better selection.

In all honesty, I don't want to go into what makes Feedbooks more "robust" because I don't want to pick apart these two excellent websites, at least not here and now. I have already given feedbooks some feedback on several problems I have with their website, for what it's worth. Different people have different ideas of what is important and what isn't when it comes to web design and user interface. Nothing wrong with that.

Again, the attractiveness of the books is a matter of personal opinion. I read the .mobi files from manybooks.net and I like them just fine. I could go into why I like them more than the ones from here, but why? If someone likes your books and can find the one they're looking for here, let them get it here.

My purpose is simple. Way back in post number 88 you said that "Harry asked a simple question, cmbs." and you said "I just don't understand your sense of persecution when someone asks you a question." When in fact Harry asked a clearly insincere question because it had already been answered. You yourself, in post #88, insist that I answer his (already answered) question, even after I pointed out that I'd already answered it.

I'd like to know if you have a valid explanation for your behavior, particularly considering your claim that you can't figure out why I feel attacked. So let's hear it. Why did you defend and reinforce his insincere question? Will you answer this time, or will you continue to dodge?

You pretend you want a sincere discussion, so here it is. Will you follow through?

My purpose is simple, too.

I made a comment about websites that are often cluttered and confusing, and you’re now asking me if it was a generic comment, even when I explained to you that I had no exact website in mind? Here's my answer again: I have no specific website in mind. Do you have then, a website in mind that we perhaps can both talk about, as our opinions on Feedbooks and the website you mention appear to be quite divergent. Of course, you don’t have to agree with me; I’m not even asking or inviting you to agree with me. I simply expressed my opinion about a website (Feedbooks), and you expressed your opinion about a different website. What's the problem? I actually fail to understand what your question is about. You ask me to explain, so now I’ve explained.

Now, why don’t you return the same courtesy and explain to me why you are so concerned about this issue of two different websites.

I’m now going to go to your last paragraph. I quote: “You pretend you want a sincere discussion, so here it is. Will you follow through?” [My boldface.] That’s your quote. Now let me ask you something: Do you really think a respectful dialogue can occur between us when you use the word “Pretend”?

cmbs, you often skirt the borders of respectful discourse, and yet you (rudely, I might add) ask me to explain myself. Why do you offer (often) helpful suggestions to people and then add the phrase, "for what it's worth," as if your suggestions mean nothing?

You're accusing a number of people of asking insincere questions. What would possibly be the motive?

Perplexed,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #109
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
My purpose is simple, too.

I made a comment about websites that are often cluttered and confusing, and you’re now asking me if it was a generic comment, even when I explained to you that I had no exact website in mind? Here's my answer again: I have no specific website in mind. Do you have then, a website in mind that we perhaps can both talk about, as our opinions on Feedbooks and the website you mention appear to be quite divergent. Of course, you don’t have to agree with me; I’m not even asking or inviting you to agree with me. I simply expressed my opinion about a website (Feedbooks), and you expressed your opinion about a different website. What's the problem? I actually fail to understand what your question is about. You ask me to explain, so now I’ve explained.

Now, why don’t you return the same courtesy and explain to me why you are so concerned about this issue of two different websites.

I’m now going to go to your last paragraph. I quote: “You pretend you want a sincere discussion, so here it is. Will you follow through?” [My boldface.] That’s your quote. Now let me ask you something: Do you really think a respectful dialogue can occur between us when you use the word “Pretend”?

cmbs, you continually skirt the borders of respectful discourse with me, and yet you continually (rudely, I might add) ask me to explain myself. Why do you offer (often) helpful suggestions to people and then add the phrase, "for what it's worth," as if your suggestions mean nothing?

Why do you do that?

Perplexed,
Don
I didn't ask if you were making a generic comment, I already deduced that from your previous comment. I asked it's relevence to this conversation. Again - read what I wrote to find out what I wrote. What relevence does your opinion of various generic web designers' skills have to do with this discussion?

What does my adding "for what it's worth" to a comment that I gave feedback to a website have to do with anything? I gave them my opinion for what it's worth. They are welcome to act on it or not. Kindly stop with your diversionary tactics.

Again you have dodged the question. You claim (is that better than pretend?) to want a sincere discussion but you dodge the question repeatedly. I suspect you are pretending because of the fact you repeatedly dodge the relevent questions and constantly attempt to turn the topic to something else. If you were sincere, I'd expect to see real answers.

Do not talk to me about respect when you are attacking me for whatever offenses you have imagined and then pretending you have no idea why it makes me feel attacked. It looks to me as if your commments were in fact intended as attacks. If not then explain what you really meant because I am missing it.

I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just not going to let you get off topic. You want to know why I feel attacked, you pretend that I am imagining that your comments were meant to be attacks, when in fact they were innocent. Explain how they were innocent.

Prove you are not pretending and I will stop believing that you are. Answer the question.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #110
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
she must be from brooklyn the way she dodges, i'm still waiting on an answer, or maybe i'm not important enough to answer, maybe she speaks only to mods, i'm not of her class
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #111
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I didn't ask if you were making a generic comment, I already deduced that from your previous comment. I asked it's relevence to this conversation. Again - read what I wrote to find out what I wrote. What relevence does your opinion of various generic web designers' skills have to do with this discussion?

What does my adding "for what it's worth" to a comment that I gave feedback to a website have to do with anything? I gave them my opinion for what it's worth. They are welcome to act on it or not. Kindly stop with your diversionary tactics.

Again you have dodged the question. You claim (is that better than pretend?) to want a sincere discussion but you dodge the question repeatedly. I suspect you are pretending because of the fact you repeatedly dodge the relevent questions and constantly attempt to turn the topic to something else. If you were sincere, I'd expect to see real answers.

Do not talk to me about respect when you are attacking me for whatever offenses you have imagined and then pretending you have no idea why it makes me feel attacked. It looks to me as if your commments were in fact intended as attacks. If not then explain what you really meant because I am missing it.

I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just not going to let you get off topic. You want to know why I feel attacked, you pretend that I am imagining that your comments were meant to be attacks, when in fact they were innocent. Explain how they were innocent.

Prove you are not pretending and I will stop believing that you are. Answer the question.

With all due respect, I must refrain from engaging you in further conversation until your manners improve or until you attack someone else who may disagree with your opinions. You seem to see so many people attacking you, and I’m wondering why. Usually, only spies and children see a world comprised of attacks, innuendoes, hurt feelings, dissent, reprimands, offenses.

In your world, I (and anyone else who does not see or agree with your world-view) is someone who is attacking you. If this is the case, why do people attack you?

You denigrate your opinions with the phrase “for what it’s worth,” as if your feelings have been hurt. You have dodged my question. You accuse me of dodging questions; I accuse you of dodging questions.

Your words:
“Do not talk to me about respect when you are attacking me for whatever offenses you have imagined and then pretending you have no idea why it makes me feel attacked. It looks to me as if your commments were in fact intended as attacks. If not then explain what you really meant because I am missing it.”

Do you not see how your rhetoric and attitude – from the above quote - does little to help a community (any community, for that matter) engage in a fruitful discussion of differing ideas and opinions? You demand of people explanations for your imaginings. The explanations are simple: They are the words themselves on the computer screen; there are no hidden agendas and certainly no need to be fearful of these words. (Do you not also see how your very last sentence - "Answer the question." - is an abrupt and rude sentence?)

And yet, cmbs, I maintain in this post a tone of courteous discourse when dealing with you, knowing full well that you will once again use my words to see this as an attack upon the safe world inside your head.

I wish you well, cmbs, knowing with full knowledge that even this paragraph may perhaps be construed by you as an overt attack. And yet, I cannot help but say it two times more, like a mantra, in hope that what I say may indeed come true for you: I wish you well. I truly wish you well. In the meantime, our simple planet cares does not one whit about messy-looking websites and hurt feelings. No, only people can care, no matter how complicated you, I, or others may appear to be as we think our supreme thoughts and eventually die.

Sincerely,
Don
Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #112
cmbs
non-believer

Fine. I mean, EXCELLENT! So I can count on you leaving me alone from now on then. Right? That's what you're saying. I sincerely hope you mean it.

Last edited by cmbs; 03-06-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #113
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's an interesting website that, unlike some sites that are cluttered and uninviting, actually does invite looking at.

http://www.asksam.com/ebooks/

Some of its listings include:

1) Classic Literature
2) Legislative Texts
3) Legal & Judicial Texts
4) Government Reports
5) Political

There's also a Resources & Miscellaneous Databases section.

ENJOY!

Don
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #114
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Here's an interesting website that, unlike some sites that are cluttered and uninviting, actually does invite looking at.
- another one for the collection.

Haven't seen 'Free e-books' mentioned in this thread - apologies if I missed it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #115
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Munsey's (formerly Black Mask) also has lots of free books in kindle-friendly formats. The site has a number of titles in common with Manybooks and Feedbooks, but also has a wide selection of pulp and noir. In addition, there is the site-owner's blog and some reviews.
http://munseys.com/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #116
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The University of Adelaide Library is a really great website if you like classic and classical works; and, it's both easy to navigate and with no confusing lists or links that go nowhere. Here's their link:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/meta/chrono.html

Categories include:

1) The Classical Age
2) The "Dark Age"
3) Renaissance
4) The Age of Enlightenment
5) Revolution & Romanticism
6) Realism - Naturalism - Symbolism
7) The Age of Uncertainty

Again, this a GREAT site - one that is to the point and uncluttered. It does NOT contain sleep-inducing content and wasted verbiage one encounters from some sites. If you want the authors or titles, then go right to them with one click.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (I use it.)

Don
Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #117
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Hugh Cook offers a lot of his own sci-fi novels for free. Here's the link:

http://zenvirus.com/alphadiabolical.html

Unfortunately, the site suffers from an overly complicated design, as if assembled by a monkey on steroids, and looking much like one or two other sites already discussed in this thread.

You need permission to download these Sci-Fi novels, but they're freely available for online reading.

I'm not familiar with his writing, but it's free online reading!

Don
Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #118
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's one of the cleanest and FUNCTIONAL looking websites around, where you can find a nice selection of free ebooks: Diesel ebooks.

Diesel ebooks does NOT suffer from what I call "Gastrointestinal Bowel Syndrome," which includes so much clutter you'd think the Titantic had settled on your doorstep and dead people were littering your lawn.

Here's their link:

http://diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/category/free_download

Their Design Philosophy:
I don't understand why more people don't adapt to something similar to this.

Here's your choice (the way I see it):

1) You can click on a website and see a chaotic-looking mess that looks like something the dog dragged in from outside, or -

2) You can click on a website and see a choice of download formats in two columns, one for MobiPocket and one for Microsoft Reader. Below each format column, you can choose Title, Author, or Subject.

What would you choose, number one or number two?

I urge every web designer to start utilizing paradigm number 2 and "run with it," rather than "having the runs," as we say in the South when what you've eaten comes out hard and fast soon after having eaten.

Diesel ebooks has this at the top of their web page: "Our free ebooks include over 413 Authors with over 750+ titles."

A definite winner.

Don
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #119
Junior94
Junior94 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have been away for a week, and am surprised at this thread. Much of it is way over the top, and off-setting.

With respect to the question, "Do you even care if it's legal or not" - I don't think it was called for. When I posted to this thread, and showed the link to your site, it was also keeping in mind what you posted about legality on your blog on this link:

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot....-is-legal.html

Given the wealth of knowledge available for new e-book readers on this site, and the many threads here where people are concerned about copyright issues, the question posted here is just out of place and out of context.

To all sides of the discussion, this sort of Internet flame-throwing is not appealing and will not encourage newcomers to stay around.
Junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #120
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior94 View Post
I have been away for a week, and am surprised at this thread. Much of it is way over the top, and off-setting.

With respect to the question, "Do you even care if it's legal or not" - I don't think it was called for. When I posted to this thread, and showed the link to your site, it was also keeping in mind what you posted about legality on your blog on this link:

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot....-is-legal.html

Given the wealth of knowledge available for new e-book readers on this site, and the many threads here where people are concerned about copyright issues, the question posted here is just out of place and out of context.

To all sides of the discussion, this sort of Internet flame-throwing is not appealing and will not encourage newcomers to stay around.
Overall, this was a very well handled discussion. The only "flamethrowing" I saw was from cms.

Mods and members alike tried to keep it civil.

This thread was NOTHING compared to our religious and political discussions.

Anyone who finds any thread disturbing here, is not required to participate in it. Mods will stop it cold if it goes over the line.

Newbies are not going to be scared away by a discussion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote