Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #106
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, I'm stymied before I even begin. The Rockbox utility doesn't recognize that I've got the Fuze+ plugged into my computer, and doesn't let me try to navigate to it.

ETA: Never mind. Had to change the USB mode on the Fuze+ to MSC.

ETA: There are no words to describe HOW MUCH I HATE ROCKBOX on the Fuze+. It is unbearably AWFUL. Maybe with a device that doesn't have touchpad controls it might be easier to navigate, but with the Fuze+ it's horrid. I didn't even get to the point of loading mp3 or Audible files; I had wmv video files on the device and all it would play was the sound. When I loaded an avi file, it didn't even show up in the file list. The online manual (horrible, horrible, horrible!) explained how to play these files, but the controls are so wonky that I couldn't even get to the right menu.

When I installed Rockbox I let it install games--big mistake; whenever I tried one I couldn't get out of it except by turning off the device. Actually, most of the time when I wanted to get out of a menu or submenu I had to turn off the device. I realize that some of this is the Fuze+, but, really what a waste of time!

Now I'm going to try to uninstall this disaster!

ETA: Successfully uninstalled, thank goodness! Did I mention how much I HATE ROCKBOX?

Last edited by Catlady; 10-15-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #107
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After I got the Fuze+ un-Rockboxed, I decided to try it to listen to an audiobook. Well, I'm remembering now why I put the Fuze+ aside soon after buying it. I'd vaguely recalled that there was something odd about how it handled audiobooks, and there certainly is.

If you put an mp3 audiobook (multiple chapters) into the Audiobooks folder--which certainly seems like a reasonable thing to do--the poor deluded Fuze+ puts the files in alphabetical order by title (not filename or track number). So we have Chapter 1, Chapter 10, Chapters 11-19, Chapter 2, Chapter 20, End Credits, Title Credits. And it stops after each track. I didn't try it, but apparently if you load several books, it will jumble up all the files into strict alphabetical order.

The mp3 audiobooks need to go into the Podcasts folder. Then the Fuze+ reads them in the proper order (assuming you've tagged them properly) and continues smoothly from chapter to chapter. And keeps each book separate.

The controls are just bad. The touchpad is either not responsive enough, or else overly sensitive. I can't figure out how to rewind or fast forward; I do what the manual says, but it doesn't seem to work.

So all this is why I abandoned it for audiobooks and loaded video onto it soon after I first got it--it plays video very nicely on its little screen. It's back to the Clip Zip for audiobooks.
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #108
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If you put an mp3 audiobook (multiple chapters) into the Audiobooks folder--which certainly seems like a reasonable thing to do--the poor deluded Fuze+ puts the files in alphabetical order by title (not filename or track number). So we have Chapter 1, Chapter 10, Chapters 11-19, Chapter 2, Chapter 20, End Credits, Title Credits. And it stops after each track. I didn't try it, but apparently if you load several books, it will jumble up all the files into strict alphabetical order.
That sounds incredibly stupid. I am less interested in the Fuze+ now.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #109
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
That sounds incredibly stupid. I am less interested in the Fuze+ now.
Oh, definitely don't get the Fuze+ if you primarily want it for audiobooks. It's not so bad to have to remember to load mp3 audiobooks as podcasts, but the difficulty in trying to use the controls to rewind or fast-forward was the real deal-breaker. (I kept accidentally brushing the touchpad and losing my place, and couldn't get back to where I wanted to be.) To be fair, possibly Rockbox would have improved the audiobook experience--I didn't explore how audiobooks worked with it since I got all hung up on trying to figure out how to play video with Rockbox. Rockbox has far too many submenus to try to get into and out of with the lousy Fuze+ controls, and the manual is downright confusing.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #110
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I hated rockbox on my clip zip. Have you looked at the San disk web site to see if your fuze+ has a firmware update? They may have fixed the audio book issue. As someone told me earlier, on the clip zip in the audio book settings, there is an audio book mode that plays the audio book continuously and in order. My husband is faithfully using his now. He never leaves the house without it. :-)
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #111
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I hated rockbox on my clip zip. Have you looked at the San disk web site to see if your fuze+ has a firmware update? They may have fixed the audio book issue. As someone told me earlier, on the clip zip in the audio book settings, there is an audio book mode that plays the audio book continuously and in order. My husband is faithfully using his now. He never leaves the house without it. :-)
I use Clip Zips for audiobooks and music, and I haven't seen any need to Rockbox them, as they work just fine as they are. I do have the latest firmware on the Fuze+, but really the big issue there is the touchpad controls. It's just awkward. Though the controls worked somewhat better with Rockbox, still, the Fuze+ is just a big hassle. I'll keep mine for the video player and as a music backup.

I'm not too clear on what the advantage of Rockbox would be on a Clip Zip.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #112
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
After recently acquiring a no contract Android phone just for ebooks, I am finding I like using it better than a Clip Zip. I have Audible, Scribd, and just downloaded Overdrive to it. I've been listening like mad. I am probably going to need a phone with larger storage. This one is filling up fast! I like the large screen, and I got a holster to clip to my waist band and wear it everywhere.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
After recently acquiring a no contract Android phone just for ebooks, I am finding I like using it better than a Clip Zip. I have Audible, Scribd, and just downloaded Overdrive to it. I've been listening like mad. I am probably going to need a phone with larger storage. This one is filling up fast! I like the large screen, and I got a holster to clip to my waist band and wear it everywhere.
You still need your clip zip for WMA though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #114
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You still need your clip zip for WMA though.
Oh that's right. I've been listening to the Harry Dresden books, and those are WMA.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SPAMMER BANNED - MODERATOR
- you need to use compression software for wma
What do you mean?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-24-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #116
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What do you mean?
I think he means "I am exploring ways to spam this forum."

Just a guess based on the post and his linked home page.
With any luck we'll get a response proving me wrong.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #117
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Much thanks to fellow moderator WT Sharpe for spotting the spammer above.

This nasty little bugger is now banned.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #118
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Actually, much thanks to ApK for putting me on the scent.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #119
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yay! I helped!

Last edited by ApK; 11-25-2014 at 12:12 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #120
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yay! I helped!

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote