Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #106
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I feel that way about OSC and Anne Perry - those are the two writers I know most about who write in genres I read. I don't want any of my money going to either of theme. (well, I have no notion of Anne Perry's politics, but the notion of giving my money to a writer of murder mysteries who herself is a murderer kinda creeps me out.)

I don't mind listening to Wagner or reading Kipling because they're both dead, and so no money of mine goes to support causes I find reprehensible.
For a long time I avoided Anne Perry because of the murder she committed, but then I finally read one of her books, and I was hooked. She can't undo what she did, but she paid for it. She is a terrific writer.

There's a new book out about the murder--Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century by Peter Graham. I've just put it on hold at the library and am looking forward to reading it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #107
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There's a new book out about the murder--Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century by Peter Graham. I've just put it on hold at the library and am looking forward to reading it.
I'll have a look at that book, C -- thanks for mentioning it.

I've always found Anne Perry's case fascinating. I'm surprised Elliott Leyton has never written about it.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #108
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Thanks - my library doesn't have it in ebook or print, but Kobo has it and it's discountable, so with the 75% coupon I got it for $2.99.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #109
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently, King's serious about being fond of pulp:

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-31-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Your defensiveness after having missed a non-sequitur joke says more about you than any vain appeal to the hivemind will ever say about anyone else. Everyone misses a joke from time to time.
Show of minds: Why would that ever matter to anyone but an anti-intellectual evangelist in the mood for a public burning?
I acknowledge I seemed to have missed the joke.
It was only after you explained it that I decided it wasn't all my failing. Anti-intellectual? If this were a classical music forum, that might be a fair criticism. Here, that analogy wasn't intellectual. At best it was likely to be missed by a large segment of your audience, which is poor for both rhetoric and humor, and at worst it was pompous snobbery.
I was trying to say that in a tone I meant to be humorously and inoffensively flippant. Maybe I failed at that or maybe you just didn't get it. We could ask the hive....
Quote:
The personality of the writer always does find ways in, political and otherwise -- but that has nothing to do with the merits of said fiction, which is all that matters unless the aim is propaganda.
Among the merits of fiction are supposed to be enjoyment and relatabilty to the reader. You appear to be discounting that.

And another thing, while "Show of hands" was really just rhetorical, like "Is it just me....?" I'd have happily acknowledged responses along the lines of "It's just you, we all got it."

Last edited by ApK; 05-31-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: ...And another thing....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #111
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I've decided to just go to the store and buy it when it comes out. I mean, it's only a book, it won't bite. lol And I'm looking forward to reading it. (Also, at least it won't have nasty DRM like the e-book would)

Last edited by PurpleStar; 05-31-2013 at 04:53 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #112
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm sure that Anne Perry is an excellent writer, and had she chosen any other genre to write in, I'd probably love to read her books. As I said, it's the choice of genre that creeps me out.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #113
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm sure that Anne Perry is an excellent writer, and had she chosen any other genre to write in, I'd probably love to read her books. As I said, it's the choice of genre that creeps me out.
I understand, because I felt the same way for a long time.

It's not like she's in any way glorifying murder in her books. She's writing about right and wrong, and there's a definite moral sensibility in her books. I would guess that her own actions and reasons to commit murder give her an insight that most of us lack.

But I do get your objection.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #114
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
I understand, because I felt the same way for a long time.

It's not like she's in any way glorifying murder in her books. She's writing about right and wrong, and there's a definite moral sensibility in her books. I would guess that her own actions and reasons to commit murder give her an insight that most of us lack.

But I do get your objection.
One never knows where new knowledge might manifest itself. Until this thread, I had not heard of Anne Perry nor of her being a convicted murderer. I am mostly a forgiving person and she does have a unique perspective for writing murder mysteries. I think that I will take a look at some of her writings and see if I like them.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #115
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Anti-intellectual? If this were a classical music forum, that might be a fair criticism. Here, that analogy wasn't intellectual. At best it was likely to be missed by a large segment of your audience, which is poor for both rhetoric and humor, and at worst it was pompous snobbery.
Give it a rest, ApK. The tone of the conversation was already degraded by your ad populum appeals to the Common Man. It's not being redeemed by your continuous insistence that, if you don't get my jokes, the Common Man is lost.

Quote:
Among the merits of fiction are supposed to be enjoyment and relatabilty to the reader. You appear to be discounting that.
You appear to be discounting the idea that you are not "the reader" but rather a reader.

None of us can claim to be "the reader" in some absolute sense. Every writer has an ideal reader, but some writers make a conscious decision not to write for the imaginary public. Normative Readers didn't exist for Joyce and they don't exist for me. As a professional musician, I've had to make concessions. As a writer, I do not.

The act of writing has to be fun for me, not you. If you don't like it, you're free not to read it.

You speak of factoring in enjoyment when reading posts, yet I find most of the writing on a given internet forum to be so abysmal as to be demoralizing, which is one reason I often stop reading or responding to it. For it to be merely unentertaining would be a godsend.

The difference between you, ApK, and me is this: I would never single out some friendly well-intentioned member to chastise them for their style of self-expression. I wouldn't do so if I knew precisely what they were saying, let alone if I weren't sure. That isn't how people should be treated.

Quote:
And another thing, while "Show of hands" was really just rhetorical, like "Is it just me....?" I'd have happily acknowledged responses along the lines of "It's just you, we all got it."
Good to know that you can be tolerant if the answer is phrased just so.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #116
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'll probably pick it up at the local library.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #117
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I acknowledge I seemed to have missed the joke.
It was only after you explained it that I decided it wasn't all my failing. Anti-intellectual? If this were a classical music forum, that might be a fair criticism. Here, that analogy wasn't intellectual. At best it was likely to be missed by a large segment of your audience, which is poor for both rhetoric and humor, and at worst it was pompous snobbery.
I was trying to say that in a tone I meant to be humorously and inoffensively flippant. Maybe I failed at that or maybe you just didn't get it. We could ask the hive....

The hive doesn't get it either.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #118
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
To all concerned parties:

Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely; but if you feel someone is baiting you, consider your response carefully: count to ten before responding in anger. If that doesn't help, consider making use of the Ignore User function.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #119
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
One never knows where new knowledge might manifest itself. Until this thread, I had not heard of Anne Perry nor of her being a convicted murderer. I am mostly a forgiving person and she does have a unique perspective for writing murder mysteries. I think that I will take a look at some of her writings and see if I like them.
She has two long-running, ongoing series: Thomas and Charlotte Pitt, set in the late 19th century, and William Monk, set in the mid 19th century. She has also written a five-book limited series set during WWI, and a handful of one-offs.

I personally like the William Monk series best; it begins with The Face of a Stranger. I would try to read the books in order, so as to follow the developing relationships of the characters.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #120
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, I went to the actual book store and bought Joyland. It sure is a nice looking book. I will start it later today.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote