Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #106
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I went and looked at it a few minutes ago and didn't have anything good to say about it so I didn't post. Suffice it to say the Moon+ widget has no appeal to me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #107
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Its funny, but because of way I name the books files, I had never noticed that it was showing the file name instead of the title/author. Thanks for pointing that out, because now I can't unsee it and the book id and extension are really annoying.
We are proud to provide these helpful little services.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #108
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Is anyone else interested in this presentation? It would look something like the Moon+ widget image below, with the book's title and without the reading percentage or title bar.
Not me. That has the look of Android 2.0
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #109
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Is anyone else interested in this presentation? It would look something like the Moon+ widget image below, with the book's title and without the reading percentage or title bar.
I like it a lot, but I like the other ones too, so they would be OK too (as I see I'm in a minority )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #110
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Is anyone else interested in this presentation?
Not me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #111
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Not me.
Likewise
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #112
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Widget like Moon+

The unofficial poll results: 4 "no interest" and 2 "interested". I put myself into a "maybe" category. I don't like the Moon+ widget but I could see myself liking something similar. Perhaps some of the "no interests" are also in that camp.

Adding a new widget is easy given the structure I have for the other widgets. I played a bit and ended up with something I would use, but I know I am strange so that says nothing about other people. It is similar to CC's list view showing the cover thumb, title, author, and series; but on a very dark blue slightly transparent background (#CC000022 for those who understand ARGB colors). An image of the widget sized 3x2 is below. Its minimum size is 2x2. The fuzziness comes from downsizing the widget to meet forum rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	227
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	137385  
Old 04-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #113
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V3.6.3e has been published

Beta V3.6.3e has been published.

Changes since V3.6.3d:
  • Add a dedicated log facility for auto-connect. You can see the log by tapping a line in Settings.
  • Reset the auto-connect time when the device is booted. This required adding a permission.
  • Add a fourth widget that is similar to CC's list view.
  • Set larger default sizes for some widgets
  • [Bug Fix]Don't download the same book multiple times in the Content Server when using "download all" multiple times.

The first two changes complete the auto-connect feature, correcting the non-set-at-reboot "bug" and providing a more convenient way to see what happened.

The fourth widget is me, playing.

As I said last time, I hope that this is the last beta release. I know of no bugs waiting fixes, and I have (I think) now finished the auto-connect stuff.

Thank you all for you help and patience!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #114
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@chaley,

I just updated, unfortunately the GNote1 has fled the country for the next 10 days so I can't test the resized default options with its Samsung Android 4.0.4 limitations. Anyway, these are comments with the GNote3 and the GTabPro:
  • All widgets appear to work and I won't have any problem choosing one which I like a lot - spoiled for choice, in fact

• The new 4th widget, CC Book List, looks pretty good on the GNote3. It should be a nice option for those who want to see Series info. I wonder how long before someone requests being able to add their metadata-of-choice I'm a sucker for coloured pictures, so I'll stick with one of the text-less cover-based options for myself.

However, on the high-res GTabPro both the cover thumbnails and text are too small for comfortable reading for me. As neither seem to get bigger as the widget size is increased I wouldn't be able to use this one even if I wanted to, maybe younger eyes will fare better.

• I noticed that all previous widgets were removed from the Home screen during the update. Is this what you would expect? It wasn't a problem but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #115
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@chaley,[*]The new 4th widget, CC Book List, looks pretty good on the GNote3. It should be a nice option for those who want to see Series info. I wonder how long before someone requests being able to add their metadata-of-choice I'm a sucker for coloured pictures, so I'll stick with one of the text-less cover-based options for myself.
Oh, I am sure that someone will ask for the same flexibility as exists in CC's booklist. Not willing to go there.
Quote:
However, on the high-res GTabPro both the cover thumbnails and text are too small for comfortable reading for me. As neither seem to get bigger as the widget size is increased I wouldn't be able to use this one even if I wanted to, maybe younger eyes will fare better.
I was afraid of this. The Android docs say X but reality as shown by our experience with the shortcut icon size is Y.

My intention was that the cover thumb be approximately the same size as a shortcut and that 3 lines of text could appear next to it without expanding the list view box. I think I know a way to do this with high-res tablets, but as I don't have one I can't test it.

Could I impose upon you again as I have done before and send you a private APK that does these calculations? If they work then wonderful. If they don't, then "oh well." I could send the APK tomorrow. Tonight isn't possible because of a wonderful dinner my wife and I made: curry seared scallops, zucchini (courgette) fritters in sweet chili sauce, and chardonnay.
Quote:
[*]I noticed that all previous widgets were removed from the Home screen during the update. Is this what you would expect? It wasn't a problem but I thought I'd mention it.
I hadn't thought of that, but yes, it is reasonable. I changed both the internal and the external name as part of cleaning up and adding reasonable text descriptions to the widgets.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #116
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My intention was that the cover thumb be approximately the same size as a shortcut and that 3 lines of text could appear next to it without expanding the list view box.
Just to give you a rough idea ...
On the GNote3 the cover of a selected book is approx.:
- shortcut: 5 x 8.5mm
- Book List widget: 5.5 x 9mm

Whereas on the GTabPro the cover of the same book is approx.:
- shortcut: 6 x 10mm
- Book List widget: 4 x 6.5mm

Quote:
I think I know a way to do this with high-res tablets, but as I don't have one I can't test it. Could I impose upon you again as I have done before and send you a private APK that does these calculations? If they work then wonderful. If they don't, then "oh well." I could send the APK tomorrow.
No problem, please send it.

Quote:
Tonight isn't possible because of a wonderful dinner my wife and I made: curry seared scallops, zucchini (courgette) fritters in sweet chili sauce, and chardonnay.
Yum. Do you need beta-testers for this, as well?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #117
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You have stacked, grid and vertical widgets. I'm surprised no one asked for a horizontal widget. I'm not asking just making an observation.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #118
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
That's so funny you should say that. I was thinking about it this afternoon, but I decided not to bother Charles with it.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 AM   #119
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You have stacked, grid and vertical widgets. I'm surprised no one asked for a horizontal widget. I'm not asking just making an observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
That's so funny you should say that. I was thinking about it this afternoon, but I decided not to bother Charles with it.
Fortunately for capping the ever-growing number of widgets, Android does not provide a way to do horizontal lists on the home screen.

@Kaufman: it just occurred to me today that you use the "cover thumb at right" option. Should that option also affect the home screen widget?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #120
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fortunately for capping the ever-growing number of widgets, Android does not provide a way to do horizontal lists on the home screen.
Ah, but ... if you make the Stack widget a 1-row x 3- or 4-col size it looks a lot like a horizontal widget.