Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #106
barom
barom began at the beginning.

Device: PW3W - G090KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Use the new one. The link for the first post is probably broken already. Although if the revision number hasn't changed yet, it's probably linking to the exact same file as NiLuJe's snapshots thread.
Thanks, it worked! So awesome! Looking forward to all the fun I have in front of me now!

Thanks again for this awesome guide.
barom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #107
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
One more mirror of update_pw3_5.9.6.1_factory.bin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qUe...sfeo6SaAX/view
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #108
KrautHolg
KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW3, K4NT, KT, KT2 5.6.0 (2443690034)
Hi guys,

I have spent all afternoon reading through posts, but I am still not 100% sure it is possible for me to software JB my PW3 (7th generation, S/N G090 G105 **** ****, registered, special offers, full of books, language ENGLISH (UNITED STATES), bought in Germany brand new years ago) still running FW 5.8.10.1. After registering, I have put the device in airplane mode and today I added the empty directory update.bin.tmp.partial. That is about it. I use the device on a daily basis and am generally very happy with it as it is, except for the annoying fact that I always have to convert my books first to a format that it can read.

Also, I have already sent one bricked Amazon device back, so I am not all that keen on trying that again.

But it does say “This jailbreak method only works for PW3/Paperwhite 3/Paperwhite (2015)/Paperwhite (7th generation) running firmware 5.9.6.1 or older.” So, I should be okay, if I haven’t missed something, correct? Of course I know that it is my own risk and I have jailbroken several other kindles before – I simply want to minimize the risk. Should I go ahead and try this method step by step?

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers!

KrautHolg

PS: Is TwoBob now only to be found on https://soundcloud.com/twobob ?
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #109
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, it'll take a factory update to 5.9.6.1, as 5.8.10.1 <= 5.9.6.1.

(That's basically the rule: must be on a FW version lesser than or equal to the factory version we have on hand).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #110
KrautHolg
KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, it'll take a factory update to 5.9.6.1, as 5.8.10.1 <= 5.9.6.1.

(That's basically the rule: must be on a FW version lesser than or equal to the factory version we have on hand).
Thank you so much! Tried to give you karma, but was told to spread it around. Can't find the "Thank You!" button!

Cheers!

KrautHolg
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #111
KrautHolg

Got the PW3 jailbroken, installed KUAL, got USBnetworking up and running, can login via telnet (changed root password) and via SSH and managed to install and use Kterm. So far, so good. Now I have been looking since lunchtime yesterday for something which I have read here before – and can’t find again – which is how to SSH via WiFi. Preferably without the keypair and with username/password instead, but with keypair if the former is not possible. I have generated keypairs with PuTTYgen. I don’t really like the idea of *only* allowing SSH via WiFi, because I am likely to run into problems sooner or later. Could anybody kindly point me into the right direction?

I will keep looking and try to make it work.

Cheers!

KrautHolg
Old 04-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #112
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's a button in the KUAL USBNet settings, and, yes, it will require a key pair.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 AM   #113
st40611
st40611 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (novel), PW3-32 (manga)
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the guide, works perfectly for my PW3-32 that came with 5.9.6.1!
st40611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #114
Pisckuy
Pisckuy began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautHolg View Post
Got the PW3 jailbroken, installed KUAL, got USBnetworking up and running, can login via telnet (changed root password) and via SSH and managed to install and use Kterm. So far, so good. Now I have been looking since lunchtime yesterday for something which I have read here before – and can’t find again – which is how to SSH via WiFi. Preferably without the keypair and with username/password instead, but with keypair if the former is not possible. I have generated keypairs with PuTTYgen. I don’t really like the idea of *only* allowing SSH via WiFi, because I am likely to run into problems sooner or later. Could anybody kindly point me into the right direction?

I will keep looking and try to make it work.

Cheers!

KrautHolg
Hi! How I can transfer books with internet? I can use an add-on?
Pisckuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #115
Bierbauch
Bierbauch began at the beginning.

Device: PW 3
Hi Guys!

I have a PW-3 with FW 5.8.5.x.x on it.
Now I've read the whole Wiki and all the posts in this thread and I'm wondering

a) should I downgrade to Factory 5.7.4 like in the Wiki, jailbreak and come back to 5.8.5

or

b) upgrade to Factory 5.9.6.1 like described here, jailbreak and come back to customer 5.9.6.1?

What would be better?
Bierbauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #116
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierbauch View Post

a) should I downgrade to Factory 5.7.4 like in the Wiki, jailbreak and come back to 5.8.5

or

b) upgrade to Factory 5.9.6.1 like described here, jailbreak and come back to customer 5.9.6.1?

What would be better?
Up to you.

You lose Kindlet support in 5.9.x but you gain native support for custom fonts.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #117
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Up to you.

You lose Kindlet support in 5.9.x but you gain native support for custom fonts.
Since the KUAL booklet replaces the kindlet, are there any other consequences to losing kindlet support?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #118
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierbauch View Post
Hi Guys!

or

What would be better?
I upgraded to have the ease of native custom font support but I forgot to delete the kindlet KUAL first and now can’t get rid of the dead kual listing in my books.
TLDR : delete kual kindlet before upgrading

Anyone figure out an easy way to get rid of the KUAL kindlet?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #119
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Since the KUAL booklet replaces the kindlet, are there any other consequences to losing kindlet support?
It used to be that the booklet version of KUAL would not move to the top of the recent list after opening, but NiLuJe has fixed that.

If you have any kindlets from amazon, those, of course, require kindlet support.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #120
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
CoolReader has its own launcher azw2 which stops working. That's all.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak