Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How important are page numbers in Kindle Books?
Very important - I tend to avoid those books and forget the author 16 8.56%
Nice to have - I use them if they are there 57 30.48%
Not important at all - get over yourself. 114 60.96%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
IIRC: MLA was English and APA was psychology.
Also I do believe their was a unique way that you had to reference the internet. You couldn't just copy and paste the reference into a word document.
If you look up the appropriate referencing guide (eg MLA, Harvard) it'll show you how to reference any number of different sources: books, journal articles, web sites, TV programmes, CDs, DVDs, etc etc etc. Each one has its own specific method of citing a reference. For books, though, it always involves a page number (or numbers), to return to the original topic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #107
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you look up the appropriate referencing guide (eg MLA, Harvard) it'll show you how to reference any number of different sources: books, journal articles, web sites, TV programmes, CDs, DVDs, etc etc etc. Each one has its own specific method of citing a reference. For books, though, it always involves a page number (or numbers), to return to the original topic.
HarryT,
I haven't done any referencing since 2001.
Thanks for that link though. It could help my mom with her University work. She is going for her bachelor's in Environmental Science. She is a junior senior this year and next year she will be a double senior.
Yes, the youngsters she goes to school with thinks that is very cool. She turned 68 in December.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #108
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just found this in a guide to Harvard citations:

Quote:
Note that:
Ebook readers have different standards for presenting page locations, and
page numbering can vary depending on the type of reader and the settings
you are using. Instead, you should use section numbers (or, if these are not
available, section titles) to indicate the location of any quotations:
Quote:
(Pike and Price, 2011, Section 1.1)
http://www.open.ac.uk/libraryservice...tation_hlp.pdf

So someone is using my option #2. I like it.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #110
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@ApK,

Yes, surprisingly enough it seems academia has caught up with the times.
Don't tell the students though -- they've come here once or twice, I think, and it always came as a shock to them.

IIRC the MLA calls out the Kindle for having page numbers and suggests you use them if available. No such luck for EPUB owners, they have no choice but to get with the times.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #111
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If the 'Open Annotation in EPUB' draft proposal ever gets approved and implemented, it could help (at least for ePub):

http://www.idpf.org/epub/oa/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Actually, JSWolf seems to be fairly convinced for inexplicable reasons that page numbers have a second use. Probably "figuring out how far in the book you have read so far".
In fact, he is so convinced that he is even trying to make other people agree that it is the best way. Or maybe just an awesome, amazing, wonderful way that is worthy of drowning out anyone trying to mention something else which is pretty much the same thing.

So... not just academic citations and misc. references I guess. At least according to JSWolf.
Percentages are useless. 50% of a book with 100,000 words is different than 50% of a book with 60,000 words. Doesn't tell you how much is left is a way that you'd know. The ADE page numbers do this once you get used to them. I know they are not there to simulate pBook page numbers. They are there to let you know how far in you are and how much left you have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #113
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Percentages are useless. 50% of a book with 100,000 words is different than 50% of a book with 60,000 words. Doesn't tell you how much is left is a way that you'd know. The ADE page numbers do this once you get used to them. I know they are not there to simulate pBook page numbers. They are there to let you know how far in you are and how much left you have.
Well now,
I would assume that by the time one reached 50%, they would know how long it took them to get there and therefore approximately how much longer it will take to finish it.
So word count really doesn't matter.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Percentages are useless. 50% of a book with 100,000 words is different than 50% of a book with 60,000 words. Doesn't tell you how much is left is a way that you'd know.
Nonsense. You know how long it's taken you to read the book that far, so if it tells you you're 50% of the way through, you've got the same again to go to finish the book.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #115
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Who said anything about percentages?

Seriously, quit with the strawman arguments.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #116
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The biggest problem with percentages is if you read nonfiction. The back matter is included even though notes and indices won't be read through. I'd rather calculate my own percentage; with ADE, I look to see on what page the notes start and do the arithmetic as I read.

But I have to say, that at 50% I'll have no idea how long it took me to get to that point. However, it's easy for me to relate my reading speed to ADE pages.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #117
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The biggest problem with percentages is if you read nonfiction. The back matter is included even though notes and indices won't be read through. I'd rather calculate my own percentage; with ADE, I look to see on what page the notes start and do the arithmetic as I read.

But I have to say, that at 50% I'll have no idea how long it took me to get to that point. However, it's easy for me to relate my reading speed to ADE pages.
Me too, exactly the same .

But I do concede that some like to have produced for them or keep themselves records of all sorts of their reading statistics such as recording in detail the length of their reading sessions, percentages, etc. and all power to them if that is what they want to do. But I am afraid (am actually pleased) that I am more interested in the reading than the evisceration and spreading of the guts of my reading habits for self analysis; I suspect that most readers are the same.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #118
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I just thought of a book that starts at page 145.
It is either Tim Allen's "Don't stand too close to a naked man" or Paul Reiser's "Couplehood".
Old 03-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #119
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I just thought of a book that starts at page 145.
It is either Tim Allen's "Don't stand too close to a naked man" or Paul Reiser's "Couplehood".
They do that so that you can read big books much faster .

Like, if there are 900 more pages after the initial 145 and it took you 10 seconds to read those 145 pages with nothing on them, or to work out that they do not exist at all, then at ones carefully recorded rate of reading the book so far one knows that it will take only 10/145 seconds for each of the remaining pages, so a little over a minute to read the remaining 900 pages.

Of course those who like percentages instead of page numbers will be flying completely blindly into the mists of reader time travel.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 03-30-2016 at 09:38 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #120
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
They do that so that you can read big books much faster .

Like, if there are 900 more pages after the initial 145 and it took you 10 seconds to read those 145 pages with nothing on them, or to work out that they do not exist at all, then at ones carefully recorded rate of reading the book so far one knows that it will take only 10/145 seconds for each of the remaining pages, so a little over a minute to read the remaining 900 pages.

Of course those who like percentages instead of page numbers will be flying completely blindly into the mists of reader time travel.
You misunderstood.
He literally put page number 145 on page 1. There was only the title and copyright pages before that. The book was less than 200 actual pages.