Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #106
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Vox
The 'leave wifi on all the time' seems to fix SOD but now I'm loosing 10% of charge every hour. Not really a viable fix :-(
solwisesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #107
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
The 'leave wifi on all the time' seems to fix SOD but now I'm loosing 10% of charge every hour. Not really a viable fix :-(
You can turn the wifi off if you are not using it and your battery will last longer. The "wifi never sleep" settings just set the device to always using wifi as opposed to trying to switch to mobile data which isn't available on a Vox anyways, but since this is basically a cell phone os, it's in the Android menu...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #108
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Cheers... I'll try that. So never sleep set on but wifi off.

Will try this and see if SOD is still absent ;-)

btw... since Kobo cannot supply new power adapters (email from them today) and their official standing is you must only use their adapter then, if your adapter dies/get's lost/dropped down the toilet, what are you supposed to do then?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #109
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

No... SOD again. never-sleep set to on but wifi off and I can confirm SOD is back again. Tried sleep mode for 30 mins. Won't come back out of sleep. 10 second pwer button to get it back again. The only way I can avoid SOD is wifi permanently on :-(
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #110
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
btw... since Kobo cannot supply new power adapters (email from them today) and their official standing is you must only use their adapter then, if your adapter dies/get's lost/dropped down the toilet, what are you supposed to do then?
I'm going to mention that on the getsatisfaction site. I, too, have been trying to obtain a replacement charger on warranty because mine has an exposed wire. I've been told to try the retailer, as if a retailer has spare Kobo parts just kicking around in the store... This is a serious problem and Kobo's stance on it is, quite frankly, puzzling.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #111
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No... SOD again. never-sleep set to on but wifi off and I can confirm SOD is back again. Tried sleep mode for 30 mins. Won't come back out of sleep. 10 second pwer button to get it back again. The only way I can avoid SOD is wifi permanently on :-(
I know it's annoying, but pressing 10 seconds on the power button would appear to be the logical alternative to letting your battery die down so quickly?
I generally use my Vox plugged in; the original charger in the family room, the new iPad charger next to bed. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I don't get the SOD...It comes back on immediately from sleep.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #112
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Well, if your charger breaks within the warranty period, Kobo would have to replace the whole unit if they can't replace just the charger. Otherwise, I'm sure chargers will eventually available, maybe at a hefty price. Meanwhile, maybe someone will come up with a kludge to fool the Vox into working with someone else's 2 amp charger.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #113
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I generally use my Vox plugged in; the original charger in the family room, the new iPad charger next to bed. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I don't get the SOD...It comes back on immediately from sleep.
I've tried a generic 500ma charger a couple of times and it knocks the battery indicator down to almost empty, even if it was 3/4 full to begin with. I know it can't have discharged the battery, or the cord would be hot, so it's just a quirk in the Vox and the battery indicator returns to normal once I plug in the Vox charger. What does the iPad charger do to the battery indicator?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #114
Cdesja5
Wizard

Nothing... the indicator stays where it last was before connecting. However if I turn off the Vox, plug in the original chargerand then turn back on, it immediately shows the correct charge. I should try it using the original Vox usb cable to see what happens...I haven't yet because my BB cable is so much longer.
BTW, amazon has an ihome iPad charger pack with a car & the same wall charger I got for $39.99. Probably cheaper for the two than just the Vox's will be alone.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #115
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I thought the USB cable was hard wired to the adapter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #116
Cdesja5
Wizard

No, I got one with the Vox for connecting it to the computer. The wire on the iPad charger pulls out and can be replaced with it. I'm not home right now to try it out but will do so when I get back.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #117
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Gotcha.. now I understand and I *DOUBT* that the supplied USB cable will make any difference.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #118
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
A minor typo. The on-screen instructions to turn off USB storage refer to the "USB Storage button bellow".
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #119
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Gotcha.. now I understand and I *DOUBT* that the supplied USB cable will make any difference.

You were right...although the Vox charges the battery indicator does not update to reflect that unless the vox is powered off and then on again or the original charger is plugged in.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #120
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

My own tests seem to show that charging the correct charger back in does NOT make it start showing the correct level. I have an ipad2 2A charger. Started at 70% charge. Left it on the ipad2 charger for 4 hours. Still said 70%. Then powered off, connect vox charger, switch back on and still shows 70%; I was under the impression that plugging the genuine charger back in would make it show the charged level i.e. more than 70%. Left it on vox charger for a couple of hours and back up to 100%. So it looks like either the charging level is seriously bu**ered by using a 3rd party charger or it really is NOT charging. I think the problem might be that the charge level indicator stays at the same level with the 3rd party charger. This is because it relies upon messages from the vox charger to set the charger level indicator. So, when using the 3rd party chargher, the charge might be 100% but the vox thinks it's 50%. So then on battery it starts to discharge but the vox things it's starting at 50%. So, presuemably, when the vox thinks it's down to 0% it will actually have 50% left. However that's no damn good if the vox still switches off saying zero charge! What I'm also finding is when the genuine charger is plugged in it is also confused because the level isn't correct. So it also thinks it's only at 50% (even thougb it's at 100%) so it starts charging accordingly and carries on until it thinks it's back at 100%. The bad thing about this is you then run the risk of the batteries being over charged :-(