Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #106
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
Just curious as the google analytics thread is quite old and the link no longer works, is there a script in KSM 09 that would allow me to disable analytics?

Or is there an easier way built in kobo firmware to disable analytics?
I do not know which link does not longer work. The general procedure is, I think, to add to/etc/hosts the line
Code:
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com ssl.google-analytics.com google-analytics.com
There is no script for this task included in KSM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #107
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Thanks I went ahead and did that now.

I was sure that kobo had a setting for google analytics but perhaps I misrembered it.

If I wanted to reset my Kobo to factory settings and remove KSM to purge all the old scripts and updates I have done would the best way to be to factory reset it and then install KSM and transfer over the device file?
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #108
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks I went ahead and did that now.

I was sure that kobo had a setting for google analytics but perhaps I misrembered it.

If I wanted to reset my Kobo to factory settings and remove KSM to purge all the old scripts and updates I have done would the best way to be to factory reset it and then install KSM and transfer over the device file?
Yes this is how I would probably do it. But generally I try to avoid the trouble of factory resetting. Last time I did it was around 2013 or 2014, I guess.
If with old scripts and updates you mean those of KSM, there should not be so many of them that it is worth factory resetting.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #109
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
tl;dr: KSM at start up: what is needed and what not?

I installed KSM09 on my Kobo Glo Hd and my feedback is that it works great.

My only issue is that the start up is slower than the previous version. My understanding (I am no code savy) is that it is because of the scripts running at start up, part to help debugging and part for security reasons in case of a bricked device.

Regarding wifi, I am ok with turning it on and off just inside nickel (but I do use it in koreader to export the notes to Evernote).
Regarding usbnet and webinterface, I don't know what their use is apart from debugging, and would be happy to learn.

I am asking which of this service is really needed for someone like me who uses KSM just as a tool to manage both nickel and koreader? How do I disable those not needed at start up?

My aim is a faster start up whitout compromising security. Also I would like to avoid the message about wifi that I get exitng koreader

Thank you for the great work
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #110
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any way to have KSM autostart nickel? I removed the delay option and just have nickel but it does not start nickel directly.
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #111
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertango View Post
My only issue is that the start up is slower than the previous version. My understanding (I am no code savy) is that it is because of the scripts running at start up, part to help debugging and part for security reasons in case of a bricked device.
This is it.

Quote:
Regarding wifi, I am ok with turning it on and off just inside nickel (but I do use it in koreader to export the notes to Evernote).
There should not be a problem with this.

Quote:
Regarding usbnet and webinterface, I don't know what their use is apart from debugging, and would be happy to learn.
I provided the webinterface with the intention to give the user a simple way to communicate with the kobo device via a webbrowser, which can be useful for debugging (as you said), and solving problems.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I am asking which of this service is really needed for someone like me who uses KSM just as a tool to manage both nickel and koreader? How do I disable those not needed at start up?
As long as things go well, you do not need any of them, lika a seat-belt or health insurence.

Quote:
My aim is a faster start up whitout compromising security.
The only thing that you can feel is establishing or trying to establish a wifi connection at start. You can switch it off by "tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "auto enable wifi off.sh". Cf. the spoiler "Recommendations:" in the first post.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Also I would like to avoid the message about wifi that I get exitng koreader
. I was planning to include that option. However, I cannot remember whether I actually did it (and I do not have my stuff with me). I guess I did not. Is there no option in Koreader to switch wifi off when exiting? Or do you really want to keep wifi on?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #112
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Any way to have KSM autostart nickel? I removed the delay option and just have nickel but it does not start nickel directly.
You can decrease the value of the delay (which I do not recommend).
Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #113
Elaxon
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can decrease the value of the delay (which I do not recommend).
I see, I will leave it at the default then. One other question I had do you still have those simulate_usb and those other png or is there a place I could get them again as I found them useful.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #114
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
Thanks tshering for your answer

Quote:
The only thing that you can feel is establishing or trying to establish a wifi connection at start. You can switch it off by "tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "auto enable wifi off.sh". Cf. the spoiler "Recommendations:" in the first post.
I did that and went from 27 sec at start up to 11 sec which is great. I still have usbnet as a way of access in case of troubles right?
I though that also ksm08 attempted a wifi connection at start up but evidently that was not the case

Quote:
I was planning to include that option. However, I cannot remember whether I actually did it (and I do not have my stuff with me). I guess I did not. Is there no option in Koreader to switch wifi off when exiting? Or do you really want to keep wifi on?
Yes I want to have wifi on if it was before, I switch it in nickel when I want to.

One more question that may or may not be related: I am not sure how the power botton of my Glo HD works!
If the device is powered off and I want to turn it on I don't know how long I have to keep it pressed. Sure a short press and release doesn't work.
If I pay attention and look at the led light behind the botton, I see that most of the times as soon as the led is on the device is going to start up. What is strange is that the amount of time I must keep the botton pressed does vary, and sometimes even if I can see the led on for a moment the device does not complete the start up and remains powered off.
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #115
klaasvaak42
klaasvaak42 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch 3rd gen
Hi there and thanks tshering for developing for Kobo.

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I am using a Kobo touch wifi 3rd generation.

I've been trying to install koreader (which works) and have it communicate with Calibre via wifi. When I toggle Wifi I get the error message

Code:
failed to initialize network control client: failed to connect to wpa_supplicant control socket: /var/run/wpa_supplicant/eth0
As koreader is started by KMS9 i'm asking for help here.

The problem I am facing seems to be the same as member dnh describes in the KMS08 topic https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=KSM&page=67
I'm facing the same problem with KMS 8 and 9.
I've tried to run via the cmdline
Code:
sh -x ${ksmroot}/scripts_intern/wifi/wifi_enable_dhcp.sh
tells me there is no such file. I've tried running the scripts and I've tried to run the
Code:
#wifi_variables_test.sh
logfile=${ksmuser}/txt/wifi_variables_test.txt
echo "WIFI_MODULE: ${WIFI_MODULE}" > "${logfile}"
echo "PLATFORM: ${PLATFORM}" >> "${logfile}"
echo "INTERFACE: ${INTERFACE}" >> "${logfile}"
and the
Code:
# debug_enable_wifi.sh
logfile=${ksmuser}/txt/enable_wifi_log.txt
sh -x ${ksmroot}/scripts_intern/wifi/wifi_enable_dhcp.sh &> ${logfile}
but neither provide any information for me or were able to create logfiles (might be i'm not looking in the right direction.

Do you know any next steps?

Last edited by klaasvaak42; 02-21-2018 at 02:09 PM.
klaasvaak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #116
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I see, I will leave it at the default then. One other question I had do you still have those simulate_usb and those other png or is there a place I could get them again as I found them useful.
Was there any other png that you are missing apart from simulate_usb_connection.png?
Did you install the update for KSM 09? It is important, since it has an improved version of fmon.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #117
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I did that and went from 27 sec at start up to 11 sec which is great. I still have usbnet as a way of access in case of troubles right?
Right! But you should try to make usbnet work before you really need it, because if you are already in trouble it might be difficult to prepare your pc for the task. See the spoiler under "Configure your pc to use the Kobo reader as an usb network device:" of this post. The description is for windows users. Under linux, I think it is easier, but I never did it myself.

Quote:
Yes I want to have wifi on if it was before, I switch it in nickel when I want to.
I just checked. There is still no option to suppress the message. I try to remember it when I prepare the next update.

Quote:
One more question that may or may not be related: I am not sure how the power botton of my Glo HD works!
If the device is powered off and I want to turn it on I don't know how long I have to keep it pressed. Sure a short press and release doesn't work.
I do not know.
Quote:
If I pay attention and look at the led light behind the botton, I see that most of the times as soon as the led is on the device is going to start up. What is strange is that the amount of time I must keep the botton pressed does vary, and sometimes even if I can see the led on for a moment the device does not complete the start up and remains powered off.
This sounds strange. Maybe other Glo HD owners can say something about this.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #118
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaasvaak42 View Post
Hi there and thanks tshering for developing for Kobo.

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I am using a Kobo touch wifi 3rd generation.

I've been trying to install koreader (which works) and have it communicate with Calibre via wifi. When I toggle Wifi I get the error message

Code:
failed to initialize network control client: failed to connect to wpa_supplicant control socket: /var/run/wpa_supplicant/eth0
As koreader is started by KMS9 i'm asking for help here.
I am interested in solving the problem for KSM. But you have to be aware that this will have no influence on how Koreader handles the stuff.
Quote:
I've tried to run via the cmdline
Code:
sh -x ${ksmroot}/scripts_intern/wifi/wifi_enable_dhcp.sh
tells me there is no such file.
Since you mention cmdline, how did you do this? By the terminal emulator of Koreader? It should find the file, and it does (I just tried it. But it does not show any output. I do not know how exactly the emulator works. Maybe one would have to redirect stdout and stderr.)
If you executed your commands via telnet, chances are that the variable ksmroot, and those used by wifi_enable_dhcp.sh were not known.

Quote:
I've tried running the scripts and I've tried to run the
Code:
#wifi_variables_test.sh
logfile=${ksmuser}/txt/wifi_variables_test.txt
echo "WIFI_MODULE: ${WIFI_MODULE}" > "${logfile}"
echo "PLATFORM: ${PLATFORM}" >> "${logfile}"
echo "INTERFACE: ${ INTERFACE}" >> "${logfile}"
and the
Code:
# debug_enable_wifi.sh
logfile=${ksmuser}/txt/enable_wifi_log.txt
sh -x ${ksmroot}/scripts_intern/wifi/wifi_enable_dhcp.sh &> ${logfile}
but neither provide any information for me or were able to create logfiles (might be i'm not looking in the right direction.
Here I have the same question: How did you call these scripts? Since I tested them before I posted them, they should work when you call them from within KSM, as I described it.
As for the variables WIFI_MODULE and so on, you could query them from the Koreader terminal emulator individually, or by "printenv" and then searching through the output list. You could also use the KSM webinterface for the same purpose.

Last edited by tshering; 02-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #119
Elaxon
Zealot

These are the ones I have. Yes I have KSM 09 and the update_001.

EDIT: Thanks the simulate usb worked.

Would there be any way to add bookmarks to the front menu with this new nickel firmware? Or is best scenario to add it to collection all of the pngs then access from there.

Last edited by Elaxon; 02-21-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #120
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast
CmplxAdSys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Hi,

I'm attempting to configure my Kobo H20 first gen as a USB network device under KSM 9 + update 1. However, when I plug my device into my computer via USB with KSM 9 running, nothing happens; the computer doesn't ask about the device, and no changes on the Kobo's screen occur. In Nickle, it's instantly recognized.

Thanks in advance for any input!
CmplxAdSys is offline   Reply With Quote