Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-17-2020, 01:39 AM   #106
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
amazon-cover-bug is created by calibre to store a second copy of cover thumbnails, which calibre uses to replace the covers amazon breaks on every connect.
Thanks -- but can Calibre give you some warning what is happening? A message every time you load files to a Kindle.
"If the cover does not display on Kindle, please just reconnect it to Calibre, DO NOT redownload, and covers will be restored".

I loaded some books from Calibre only to see the cover appear for a second and disappear. So I connected it again, loaded the book again. Over and over, tried different formats, looked at all the cover settings I could see. Of course, since I was sideloading the entire book AZW file as well, every time the Kindle would see a new book, do its check and replace the cover.

I came here and eventually hit on the right search terms to find this thread and discover what I was doing wrong.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:51 AM   #107
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry, am not going to spam every calibre kindle user with popups.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #108
SatanicSaint
SatanicSaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen
So this trick is working with my ebooks. But this trick is not working for a MOBI dictionary (a Fictionary to be specific) I am transferring to my Kindle. I used Calibre's Generate Cover button to assign a cover to it. When I transfer it to my Kindle, the cover doesn't show up. Does this trick only work with AZW3s?
SatanicSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:39 AM   #109
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Kindle book cover thumbnails disappearing

This bug fix works well as long as I side-load using a USB cable but it doesn't seem to work if I download books using calibre-server. Am I missing something here?
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
This bug fix works well as long as I side-load using a USB cable but it doesn't seem to work if I download books using calibre-server. Am I missing something here?
You are not missing anything.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #111
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
Nope, the workaround for amazon's attempt at raising the walls of their walled garden, requires using a usb connection.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #112
coolice
coolice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Question

Hi Kovid,

May I ask your help ?

I have Airplain mode ON.
I sending calibre exported KXF to my device through USB using connect to folder feature (as I use custom folder on device: documents/Books).

PROBLEM: calibre neither sideload the cover image into system/thumbnails, nor create a safe copy in "amazon-cover-bug", though whole process is initiated through calibre exclusively, no manual mess around.

Could you help please ?

Many many many thanks in advance!
coolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #113
coolice

Sorry, I forget some important details:

IMPORTANT: it works perfectly, when I tested with Kindle device plugin/driver, so I am almost sure it is happening because of the connect to folder feature, BUT the reason I dont use Kindle device plugin/driver, because its always add books to the documents folder, while I would like to use a separate folder as described above.

I assume, the connect to folder feature missing the sideload cover image feature? If this is the case, any chance you could add it ? If thats not an option, could you add the possibility to be able to set a default folder on the device for the kindle device plugin/driver please ?

Again, many many many thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #114
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can customize the template used to generate book filenames by right clicking the device icon in calibre and choosing configure this device.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #115
coolice

Quote:
You can customize the template used to generate book filenames by right clicking the device icon in calibre and choosing configure this device.
Thank you for your quick reply. You right, I am stupid, I thought that /{xyz} refers to each individual ebook, but I realized it can be also the main target folder.

BUT

It still left the "Connect to Folder" question, which does not invoke the sideload of cover image.

May I ask if you plan to add it ?
Old 05-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #116
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No connect to folder is never going to gain device specific workarounds, that's what the individual device drivers are for.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #117
coolice

Quote:
No connect to folder is never going to gain device specific workarounds, that's what the individual device drivers are for.
Understood, and respect your decision, though I believe "Connect to folder" is a key function which has its true potential being general.

Have a lovely day!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice View Post
Understood, and respect your decision, though I believe "Connect to folder" is a key function which has its true potential being general.
The "Connect to folder" driver is there for devices that have no calibre support, and so that device specific actions can be skipped by those that do not want to use them. But, you are asking for device specific actions to be taken.

What Kovid was suggesting that you configure the save template in the Kindle driver to include the extra sub-directory that you want. Just add "documents/Books/" to the start of the save template in the appropriate Kindle driver should put the books where you want them and have calibre produce the thumbnails you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #119
manutre
manutre began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Hello Kovid, I have been doing some research on my kindle, after resetting it I have converted several books to mobi and USB sideloaded them . I have deactivated the airplane mode and the covers have disappeared. I have reconnected the kindle and almost all of them have reappeared. The only ones that do not appear are those of several books that kindle has tagged itself as personal documents. The covers of these books have not been copied to the amazon-cover-bug folder, and they are not visible even if you overwrite them in the thumbnails folder. Thank you very much for your work.

And for my english, which is a google translation
manutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #120
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
FWIW. A couple of things.

1. For those of you who cannot see what book the .jpg file refers to, at the top of the Explorer window, click on ‘View’ and select ‘Large Icons’ or ‘Medium Icons’. Whichever you can see better. This will display the covers for the files. This is for a Windows PC.

2. When viewing the folder ‘amazon-cover-bug’ I noticed that the books that were showing covers on my Paperwhite were named differently than the ones that were showing the Generic covers.
Example:
Books that had covers were listed as: thumbnail_(Amazon’s ASIN#=Bxxx)_EBOK_portrait.jpg
Books that did not have covers were listed as: thumbnail_(Bunch of numbers and letters)_EBOK_portrait.jpg

So what I did was just rename the jpg file with the bunch of numbers and letters to remove the letters and numbers and insert the Amazon ASIN #. My cover showed up on the Paperwhite.

Going from: thumbnail_31ce9b49-8e0a-45d3-b9e2-8c7f67f635c6_EBOK_portrait.jpg
To: thumbnail_B07XXBJY3X_EBOK_portrait.jpg

Hope this helps.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote