Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #106
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Re: the copy-pasting. I'm never sure how many kobopatch users know this...

<snip>

I won't elaborate more in case you already know all this.
vaguely aware. As in I've seen examples of it but have always been too lazy to do it. Took me a long time to switch from enabling individual patches to using overrides…
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #107
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I never change Enabled: no to Enabled: yes in the other yaml files. All on/off control is done in kobopatch.yaml.

Some people like to keep a full list of all patches in their kobopatch.yaml but I prefer to restrict mine to just the ones I'm going to enable - mainly because there are already so many in there, without cluttering it up with ones I'm never going to use.
I didn't do it that way this first time, but I like idea of doing it via the kobopatch.yml. next time around I'll set it up that way.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #108
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Locking orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I can probably put together a patch to get rid of the auto rotate item.

Related to this, could you create a patch to lock the orientation. What I mean by this is when I choose "Portrait", I want it locked to "Buttons by right hand" portrait. Can you do this, geek1011?

Last edited by droopy; 12-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #109
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I didn't do it that way this first time, but I like idea of doing it via the kobopatch.yml. next time around I'll set it up that way.
Just copy/paste DNSB's template into your kobopatch.yaml file and set the ones you want to yes. Would at least save you the typing and it's really handy since it keeps all the patch options in one place. It's actually a smart way to do it.

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-14-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I'm stoopid.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #110
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Just copy/paste DNSB's template into your kobopatch.yaml file and set the ones you want to yes. Would at least save you the typing and it's really handy since it keeps all the patch options in one place. It's actually a smart way to do it.
thank you. where do I find that template?
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #111
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you. where do I find that template?
Right, that'd be useful, wouldn't? lol.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=54
Old 12-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #112
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Right, that'd be useful, wouldn't? lol.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=54
lol I was hoping I wasn't asking a bonehead question because the way my color setup is I sometimes miss the links.

thank you.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #113
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
lol I was hoping I wasn't asking a bonehead question because the way my color setup is I sometimes miss the links.

thank you.
I actually had it in my clipboard but then got distracted by something and forgot to paste it before hitting submit.

But yeah, if you do it that way, then you can also use it to copy over a custom hosts blocking file, and any other files you want to the system partition too (like the files used in mods or old fonts that Kobo used to ship but no longer does, etc.). Saves you from having to make your own tar ball to flash separately, at least.

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #114
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
I actually had it in my clipboard but then got distracted by something and forgot to paste it before hitting submit.

But yeah, if you do it that way, then you can also use it to copy over a custom hosts blocking file, and any other files you want to the system partition too (like the files used in mods or old fonts that Kobo used to ship but no longer does, etc.). Saves you from having to make your own tar ball to flash separately, at least.
the last week has been a bit of a blur, but was it you that gave me the hosts file info? and I can just take that file info and place it in the yaml? any particular section? thanks.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #115
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
the last week has been a bit of a blur, but was it you that gave me the hosts file info? and I can just take that file info and place it in the yaml? any particular section? thanks.
You'll want to append those entries into an existing hosts file as they alone aren't enough; for example, there's no localhost entry. That link I included links to other hosts files that block various things, so just copy/paste those Kobo entries into one of them after the localhost section and use the result.

Here's a portion (i.e. not the whole thing) of my Additional Files section that I stick at the bottom of kobopatch.yaml. In addition to the custom hosts file, I use frostschutz's miniclock and disable sickel mods, geek1011's ld_preload hack to prevent nickel from scanning .folders (there's now a Kobo Reader.conf setting that can do the same thing), tshering's Kobo Start Menu 09, JSWolf's updated hyphenation dictionaries, old Kobo fonts, among other things.

Spoiler:
Code:
# ADDITIONAL FILES #
# Uncomment the following to add additional files to the tgz (like init scripts or hyphen dicts)
# The files will be root-owned, and world readable, writable, and executable (0777)
files:

src/root/disablesickel.sh: disablesickel.sh
  src/root/usr/local/geek1011/libhidedir_kobo.so: usr/local/geek1011/libhidedir_kobo.so
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_fr.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_fr.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_hu.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_hu.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/translations/trans_ja.qm: usr/local/Kobo/translations/trans_ja.qm
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/ac: usr/local/Kobo/udev/ac
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug: usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd: usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb: usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/devinputeventdump: usr/local/MiniClock/devinputeventdump
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/fbink: usr/local/MiniClock/fbink
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/miniclock.sh: usr/local/MiniClock/miniclock.sh
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Bold.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-BoldItalic.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Italic.ttf
  src/root/etc/ld.so.preload: etc/ld.so.preload
  src/root/etc/hosts: etc/hosts
  src/root/etc/init.d/rcS: etc/init.d/rcS
  src/root/etc/udev/rules.d/disablesickel.rules: etc/udev/rules.d/disablesickel.rules
  src/root/etc/udev/rules.d/miniclock.rules: etc/udev/rules.d/miniclock.rules
  src/root/etc/udhcpc.d/default.script: etc/udhcpc.d/default.script
  src/root/adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini: adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini

The format is place-on-your-local-file-system : place-on-the-kobo-file-system. For me, I stick everything in a folder called 'root' in kobopatch's src directory (i.e. kobopatch/src/root/) on my computer, but you can put it anywhere you want.

To make things simpler on me, I mimic the Kobo file structure locally, which is easy to do: just extract all those KoboRoot.tgz files from all the mods and merge them. That way, you can keep the same structure when writing the Kobo file paths. Then you type in one entry per file (i.e. the tedious part that you only need to do once) and run kobopatch which will bundle them all into one update file. If a mod gets updated, just extract it and copy it over your local file archive and run kobopatch again to generate a new update file to flash.

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-14-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #116
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
You'll want to append those entries into an existing hosts file as they alone aren't enough; for example, there's no localhost entry. That link I included links to other hosts files that block various things, so just copy/paste those Kobo entries into one of them after the localhost section and use the result.

Here's a portion (i.e. not the whole thing) of my Additional Files section that I stick at the bottom of kobopatch.yaml. In addition to the custom hosts file, I use frostschutz's miniclock and disable sickel mods, geek1011's ld_preload hack to prevent nickel from scanning .folders (there's now a Kobo Reader.conf setting that can do the same thing), tshering's Kobo Start Menu 09, JSWolf's updated hyphenation dictionaries, old Kobo fonts, among other things.

Spoiler:
Code:
# ADDITIONAL FILES #
# Uncomment the following to add additional files to the tgz (like init scripts or hyphen dicts)
# The files will be root-owned, and world readable, writable, and executable (0777)
files:

src/root/disablesickel.sh: disablesickel.sh
  src/root/usr/local/geek1011/libhidedir_kobo.so: usr/local/geek1011/libhidedir_kobo.so
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_fr.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_fr.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_hu.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_hu.dic
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/translations/trans_ja.qm: usr/local/Kobo/translations/trans_ja.qm
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/ac: usr/local/Kobo/udev/ac
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug: usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd: usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd
  src/root/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb: usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/devinputeventdump: usr/local/MiniClock/devinputeventdump
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/fbink: usr/local/MiniClock/fbink
  src/root/usr/local/MiniClock/miniclock.sh: usr/local/MiniClock/miniclock.sh
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Bold.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-BoldItalic.ttf
  src/root/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Rockwell-Italic.ttf
  src/root/etc/ld.so.preload: etc/ld.so.preload
  src/root/etc/init.d/rcS: etc/init.d/rcS
  src/root/etc/udev/rules.d/disablesickel.rules: etc/udev/rules.d/disablesickel.rules
  src/root/etc/udev/rules.d/miniclock.rules: etc/udev/rules.d/miniclock.rules
  src/root/etc/udhcpc.d/default.script: etc/udhcpc.d/default.script
  src/root/adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini: adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini

The format is place-on-your-local-file-system : place-on-the-kobo-file-system. For me, I stick everything in a folder called 'root' in kobopatch's src directory (i.e. kobopatch/src/root/) on my computer, but you can put it anywhere you want.

To make things simpler on me, I mimic the Kobo file structure locally, which is easy to do: just extract all those KoboRoot.tgz files from all the mods and merge them. That way, you can keep the same structure when writing the Kobo file paths. Then you type in one entry per file (i.e. the tedious part that you only need to do once) and run kobopatch which will bundle them all into one update file. If a mod gets updated, just extract it and copy it over your local file archive and run kobopatch again to generate a new update file to flash.
thanks. I am very sure I am not ready for all of this. keeping it for later.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #117
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
thanks. I am very sure I am not ready for all of this. keeping it for later.
No worries. If you ever get around to using the kobopatch.yaml method to manage your patches, all you need is the

Code:
line for just the hosts file.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #118
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
No worries. If you ever get around to using the kobopatch.yaml method to manage your patches, all you need is the

Code:
line for just the hosts file.
thank you! I'll put this with it. I've compiled reminders like crazy for my next go round.

I think I need to learn python... it is python that's being used for the patching isn't it? I say this because your post was like reading Latin (I don't) and it would be nice to really understand what I'm doing.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #119
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
thank you! I'll put this with it. I've compiled reminders like crazy for my next go round.

I think I need to learn python... it is python that's being used for the patching isn't it? I say this because your post was like reading Latin (I don't) and it would be nice to really understand what I'm doing.
The yaml thing? No, it's not python; it's just a markup language (called YAML) with it its own syntax (be mindful of the spaces when you copy/paste; indentation matters). That's what geek1011 chose the config files to use, that's all. The actual binary that does all the patching is written in Go, but there's no need for any of us to know how to use it or how it works, other than how to invoke it.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #120
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
The yaml thing? No, it's not python; it's just a markup language (called YAML) with it its own syntax (be mindful of the spaces when you copy/paste; indentation matters). That's what geek1011 chose the config files to use, that's all. The actual binary that does all the patching is written in Go, but there's no need for any of us to know how to use it or how it works, other than how to invoke it.
oh. very cool. thanks again.

yes, I've noticed in more than one place that the indents matter. I'll probably mess it up at least once, figure it out and correct it, and then go on to being fine.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching