Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #91
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Your meaningless arguments will not resurrect Irex: just accept it.
Irex isn't dead just in Chapter X. We will see more Irex devices in the future.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #92
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle is primarily aimed at the fiction reading market, not textbooks.

When Amazon first released the DX, they stated the device was intended to push into the college education market, being better for text books and PDFs.

Not saying anything against the DX, but that was Amazon's great hope for the device. I find it does make an excellent home fiction reader (fewer page turns, but less portable hence the "home" designation), and it's useful for reading PDF manuals-- and I think that's where it ended up in terms of market position.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #93
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do we actually know that the Graphite will be released with the same hardware and firmware as the current DX has other than the screen change?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #94
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
@ MobileTech exactly, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlad View Post
@harryE123
Why don't you start a new thread in which you can express all your complaints/frustrations about Amazon devices and stop commenting off various threads.
My comments are specific to the dx, its storage, its evolution, or lack thereof and it's capabilities as a pdf/textbook reader, which are all very relevant here of course. If you don't think they are you might want to comment on why. And what various threads? I 've commented in two, or max three.

Last edited by harryE123; 07-04-2010 at 05:20 PM.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do we actually know that the Graphite will be released with the same hardware and firmware as the current DX has other than the screen change?

BOb
We don't, but if there had been any significant new firmware features, I'm sure Amazon would have announced them. Their silence on the subject rather suggests that it'll use the same firmware as the current devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #96
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
We don't, but if there had been any significant new firmware features, I'm sure Amazon would have announced them. Their silence on the subject rather suggests that it'll use the same firmware as the current devices.
True.. just looked at the web page and the specs do seem the same.

Wasn't some type of SDK released for the Kindle? I'm surprised there is no third party PDF reader for it out there yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #97
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wasn't some type of SDK released for the Kindle? I'm surprised there is no third party PDF reader for it out there yet.
There is an SDK (although I think it's still in beta?). However, one of the terms imposed on developers is that their application cannot be a general-purpose reading program.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #98
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
There is an SDK (although I think it's still in beta?). However, one of the terms imposed on developers is that their application cannot be a general-purpose reading program.
unbefrigginlievable...
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #99
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm looking forward to the improved contrast. I will wait to see how it compares with my original DX before selling that. The graphite color is okay but I would probably skin it.
I, too, am very interested about the claimed 50% better contrast - not sure how they came up to quantify this.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 50% better contrast figure comes directly from from the screen manufacturer, eInk.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #101
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I, too, am very interested about the claimed 50% better contrast - not sure how they came up to quantify this.
In my days at the Physics lab I learnt to distrust too-round numbers.

I'd rather trust a 43% better contrast than a 50% one.
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

See this news item:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89292

It actually reports a contrast improvement of "approximately 50%". It's gone from about 7:1 to about 11:1 contrast ratio between the ink and the screen background.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #103
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Irex isn't dead just in Chapter X. We will see more Irex devices in the future.

Yeah, look at this: http://www.fd.nl/artikel/16806747/ne...aders-failliet
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Could you summarise for those of us who don't speak Dutch?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #105
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Could you summarise for those of us who don't speak Dutch?
Google translates:
Quote:
The Dutch manufacturer iRex Technologies of e-readers on Tuesday by the court in Den Bosch bankrupt.

Shareholders and bank Deutsche Bank wanted the new company does not provide funding. IRex had been dealing with a debt of over € 10 million

Curator Martin Kemp expects that the company can make a new start in Eindhoven. Several parties are interested in intellectual property and knowledge of the thirty employees, he said Tuesday. "I am confident that the company will continue. There's nothing lost. "

Pioneer

IRex was the beginning of this century with a pioneering technology that enables digital books to read without eye fatigue caused by the display. Since last year the market for e-readers a real fighting market. Prices for digital reading boards are hard fall while iRex bet on more expensive, higher quality e-readers.

The company said earlier this month moratorium on. There was, according to Kemp € 1.5 million to € 2 million additional funding necessary for the short-term survival. Last week was an application for a loan from the Brabant Development Agency rejected on Monday were discussions with shareholders and Deutsche Bank, spoke.
So not all is lost, provided they get the loans required to go on.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote