Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #91
digitaldiver
digitaldiver began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Upgrade worked fine

Worked for me, no issues so far, seems a little quicker, thats all right now.
digitaldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #92
DaveisTaken
DaveisTaken began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just tried it again with a new Kobo (brought my old stuffed one back to the shop and was given a new one on the spot ) and I tried the upgrade on my Windows 7 64Bit and it worked like a treat

I think last time also, I was trying to top button instead of the next one down.

In addition to this, when it was starting and said something like 'enumerating book list' I turned the unit off, which could have corrupted the library and stuffed it...

Anyways, now on 1.4 and all working
DaveisTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #93
Atul
Atul began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Here are the links:

PC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.exe

MAC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.dmg

It's a pretty slick process. Not hard at all.
Thanks jimr. Haven't received my email yet even though i signed up for the Early Access program. Everything worked fine - except that i had to re-install the driver because XP couldn't recognize it. Having the font scaling has made all the difference in the world.

Thanks again.
Atul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #94
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Wondering if I back up all the files on my Kobo before I do the update if that would act as a restore if ever needed?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #95
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The old firmware can not be copied off the Kobo, so it's not possible to back it up. Many of the files you can back up get modified to work with the new firmware.

This is probably one of the rare times when doing a backup is pointless, unless you want to compare the accessible files before and after... which could be interesting...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #96
kitsullivan
kitsullivan began at the beginning.

Thanks so much for the upgrade link - so far, so good. And 2 days left on my library book - what a bonus! Thanks again.
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #97
baker
baker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, itouch 4th gen, Sony S tab
SD card was not available at Bay and Bloor store in Toronto this pm. Supposedly the Indigo flagship store. I don't know why Kobo and Indigo can't get their act together , as it was supposed to be there yesterday. The employee didn't know when the card would be in the store...she'd e-mail me.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #98
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

Just curious, has anyone who did not sign up for the early access program received an email from Kobo yet with the upgrade? July 5th was to be the day for us 'wait & see' users but have yet to receive an email. Just curious if anyone else has?
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #99
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
CORONA >> ... I'm just a happy camper. The UI for the upgrade is really lovely, and it all went perfectly for me. I'm very happy ...

I am insanely jealous. Want to SELL your kobo???

(grin)

Funny how "attached" one gets to their electronics items. In another aspect of my life, my "clip manager" - the software that saves EVERY thing I "copy" to a cool interface - came out with an "upgrade" that just plain didn't work. Although the company has found THEIR problem and will release a "new-ER" upgrade this weekend, I sure was attached to how it made my life more efficient!

So, if you EVER want to sell your Kobo, I've got a PayPal account ready for you ... (grin)

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #100
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMann View Post
Just curious, has anyone who did not sign up for the early access program received an email from Kobo yet with the upgrade? July 5th was to be the day for us 'wait & see' users but have yet to receive an email. Just curious if anyone else has?
I did sign up for the early access program last week and still haven't received an e-mail. Luckily I used a link I found in another thread here which worked perfectly
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #101
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Well they said they'd be doing it on a first in first out basis during the week end.
So it was clear not all of us would have got the e-mail.

Now the firmware upgrade is "official" and everyone is getting his update automatically, so I guess no one else will receive an e-mail regarding the early access program...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #102
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I take my offer of purchasing someone else's kobo back ... UPS delivered the Kobo SD card at 11:06PM last night.

A couple photos of the SD install routine -

http://tinyurl.com/SD-kobo

BOTTOM LINE: I am back enjoying my kobo!

Clint Bradford
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #103
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

I still haven't received my email but I should mention that I am a U.S. Borders purchaser. I'm in no rush to get the upgrade. It's nice to know I can get the upgrade here thanks to some generous user(s).
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #104
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... I should mention that I am a U.S. Borders purchaser ...

And if you are a Borders Rewards Club member, you have 60 days to return the unit for any swap that may be necessary.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #105
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Just a heads up be careful with the upgrade. I did something wrong with mine though I followed the instructions to the T and my unit has stalled out permanently from it. As well the IT support has been less than stellar basically talking to me like I'm an idiot and not actually reading the email I sent in but rather giving me a trite try and restart it reply. I'm not really happy about that but I love my Kobo so the moral of the story is be careful during the upgrade or you may end up like me ripping your hair out and trying to deal with customer service to get your Kobo fixed.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote